General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with fins during training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-01-31 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Subject: swimming with fins during training?
So I went to this triathlon training swim class my college offers for free tonight. It started about 3 weeks ago but I wasn't able to make it to it until now. I must admit that I was intimidated because everybody had fancy gear to train with, stuff I never use. I guess I'm old fashioned (or don't know what I am doing) and just do laps when I swim, trying to improve endurance and speed with each session. Well anyways, I ended up liking the class and it kicked my butt but my question is what is the point of training with fins since you can't use them during the tri? Does it help build muscle or something? I did the whole session without them b/c I didn't know we should have them, but everybody else was wearing them and the coach told me I needed to get some. I thought that you swam faster with fins and she told me the drills I was doing would be easier with them. Shouldn't you try to make it harder on yourself? I don't get it, maybe somebody can explain?

On another note, I was pleased to see I was keeping up with everybody considering I joined late and didn't have fins! Now if I can just get my running in gear... oh lord how I hate running!

2006-01-31 11:20 PM
in reply to: #336100

User image

Subject: RE: swimming with fins during training?

Hmmmmm.... I'd be wary if the WHOLE class was wearing them for the ENTIRE clas.  Thats odd.  In our masters sometimes someone will slip a pair on to keep up during a certain set.  Also IMHO I think they are good for kicking cuz you get basically the same workout but it's done quicker.

If you can keep up without them, all the better

2006-01-31 11:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
training fins increase resistance in the water and even though you are swimming faster it is also harder work. They can also improve ankle flexibilty. I'm assuming these were not the fins for snorkeling of scuba but much shorter, right? They are good for practice, most coaches will have you mix it up with and without fins. You can become dependent on them.

Ironically, I started out with a very weak kick, the fins (I have zoomers but there are other good brands) improved my ankle flexibility and feel for the water and my kick has much improved. You don't have to have fins to be a great swimmer but they have their uses.

Keep in mind that lond distance swimming is 90% technique. If you make it a cardio-lactate fest you will burn up. Good technique can allow you swim faster and easier. There are many good sources and coaches. Total Immersion worked for me.
2006-01-31 11:28 PM
in reply to: #336115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Please ignore the typos in the previous post.
2006-02-01 8:02 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Were you doing Total Immersion style drills?

If so, many people need fins in order to do some of those drills properly. When I started last year, my kick was so poor that I would sometimes move backwards while drilling on my back.

If that's the style being taught in the class, I'd guess that the fins will come off at some point.

Edited by dontracy 2006-02-01 8:04 AM
2006-02-01 8:26 AM

Veteran
Michigan

This is actually a little pet peeve of mine!  In my opinion, fins should only be used on a limited basis and for a very specific training purpose.  If you use them for an entire workout you are getting a false sense of speed and not getting a true sense of how the water and your stroke feels.  Personally, I only use them when I am working on butterfly since I am still learning how to do that stroke (nothing to do with triathlon just something I always wanted to learn).  If you have a good basic kick, I wouldn't spend too much time wearing fins or working on your kick.  The kick is not a huge part of a distance swim anyway.  It is mostly for stability not for speed or propulsion.  Save your legs for where you really need them - the bike and run.

Just my two cents!

2006-02-01 8:33 AM
in reply to: #336224

Elite
Laurium, MI
the only time I'd consider using them (if I had them) was during kick drills. Kicking the entire way across the pool without them is somewhat tiring and it's hard to work on form when you're getting exhausted just from the effort.

I think the same rule applies to all equipment. I do use a pull bouy and hand paddles and I find they definatly help me with my stroke, as long as I use them for a few sets and then go back to normal swimming. Key is to take what you learned about how you should be swimming and try to use that while you actually swim. Otherwise you are just learning to swim with the aids.
2006-02-01 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I asked that question the first time I used fins. I was told that it allows you to feel how your arm turnover would be at a faster pace. For me it forces a quicker turnover because I'm going much faster. But we only use them for short warm-up sets. Not the entire practice.
2006-02-01 8:54 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
I use fins doing my Total Immersion drills. Otherwise I have virtually zero propulsion.

Ian
2006-02-01 9:58 AM
in reply to: #336224

kimta - 2006-02-01 9:26 AM

This is actually a little pet peeve of mine!  In my opinion, fins should only be used on a limited basis and for a very specific training purpose.  If you use them for an entire workout you are getting a false sense of speed and not getting a true sense of how the water and your stroke feels.  Personally, I only use them when I am working on butterfly since I am still learning how to do that stroke (nothing to do with triathlon just something I always wanted to learn).  If you have a good basic kick, I wouldn't spend too much time wearing fins or working on your kick.  The kick is not a huge part of a distance swim anyway.  It is mostly for stability not for speed or propulsion.  Save your legs for where you really need them - the bike and run.

Just my two cents!

i would agree with this. fins are great to use for base training as kicking is the best way to get in swimming shape. they add strength to your kick and helps promote good technique as it keeps your feet right on top of the water, yet not too high. they are also good for sprinting because they will get your arms to move faster and enable you to lengthen each stroke. using them for the whole practice is a bad idea. you dont want to get too dependent on them but they are a great tool. and the kick is a HUGE part of distance swims. this a common misconception. if you watch great distance swimmers they will have a 6 beat kick for 1500m! this is what separates good swimmers from great swimmers. although it takes a lot of practice, it is crucial to a complete and effecient stroke. relying mainly on your arms for propulsion makes for a very inefficient stroke and a lot of wasted energy. practice your kicking, it will help!
2006-02-01 10:28 AM

User image

Buttercup

Hi, Fattyboombalatty and welcome to BT and triathlon training.

I am an old school swimmer, learned to swim when I was 7, raced my last race 26 years ago. I never trained with fins.

For stupid reasons (swim challenge), I recently purchased a pair of Zoomer fins so that I could quickly pound out major yards in one swim session. I am a Zoomer convert! What I have learned through using the fins is:

1. I have to work harder (quicker stroke turnover) to keep up with the increased speed.
  2. I am much more aware of my core form while swimming with the fins. My form is much tighter, more streamlined as a result. To get the proper propulsion/feel, you have to kick from your core so if my form is off, I feel it in my lack of proper propulsion.

It's not so much about making you a better kicker, it's about keeping your core tight and streamlined, IMO. When it's tight and streamlined, your kick will be there. When the core is loose or sloppy, the kick won't be there.

Last night, as I was swimming, I was thinking about the TI approach (which I don't get) vs. learning to swim based upon feeling/instincts. Some people learn better through instincts/feeling, others learn better through analyzing. The fins will give you lots to feel AND think about.

I advocate using the swim fins for part of your workout but you've got to pay attention to your form and how you feel as you propel yourself through the water.

2006-02-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #336376

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Renee - 2006-02-01 8:28 AM

Hi, Fattyboombalatty and welcome to BT and triathlon training.

I am an old school swimmer, learned to swim when I was 7, raced my last race 26 years ago. I never trained with fins.

For stupid reasons (swim challenge), I recently purchased a pair of Zoomer fins so that I could quickly pound out major yards in one swim session. I am a Zoomer convert! What I have learned through using the fins is:

1. I have to work harder (quicker stroke turnover) to keep up with the increased speed.
  2. I am much more aware of my core form while swimming with the fins. My form is much tighter, more streamlined as a result. To get the proper propulsion/feel, you have to kick from your core so if my form is off, I feel it in my lack of proper propulsion.

It's not so much about making you a better kicker, it's about keeping your core tight and streamlined, IMO. When it's tight and streamlined, your kick will be there. When the core is loose or sloppy, the kick won't be there.

Last night, as I was swimming, I was thinking about the TI approach (which I don't get) vs. learning to swim based upon feeling/instincts. Some people learn better through instincts/feeling, others learn better through analyzing. The fins will give you lots to feel AND think about.

I advocate using the swim fins for part of your workout but you've got to pay attention to your form and how you feel as you propel yourself through the water.

The TI approach seemed really complex to me at first but it just came down to the idea if you are balanced in the water you glide easier and can use your energy for propulsion instead of keeping afloat. That's it! all the drills and stuff are designed to get you there. If you get there on your own, great! Since I din't have a swimming background it was nice to have someone that had done all the homework for me and told me I can be a great swimmer without spending years at swim camp. The emphasis is on relaxation becuase (shall I state the obvious?) water being a liquid you can't push against it like a solid surface, your movements must be smooth or you create turbulence that slows you down (by decreasing water density). So if you are relaxed and balanced you glide along like a torpedo one of those crew boats instead of dragging along like river barge.
2006-02-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: #336376

Enid, OK
I've used fins a little and i understand the ankle flexibility thing, but had never thought about the effect of streamlining your form. It makes sense to me, though, because i am totally a "feel" learner.
2006-02-01 11:48 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I use the Z2 zoomers...... they are an excellent tool, but they are just that a tool. I would not use them for an entire workout. When I first started swimming I would just swim laps.....but I wasn't getting any faster. Once I incorporated drills, some which include using fins, my technique improved and my overall time improved. Since then I do some type of drills and use fins in almost every workout. Most of the triathletes that I know who are excellent swimmers still do drills and use fins for a small percentage of their workout.

2006-02-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: #336347

Veteran
Michigan

jwilson165 - 2006-02-01 10:58 AM
... and the kick is a HUGE part of distance swims. this a common misconception...

I respectfully disagree.  IMO, I don't think the kick is a HUGE part of distance swims.  All of my swim coaches said to use a steady easy kick during long races but not to kick as hard as I would in a sprint.  I think that is even more important when swimming in a triathlon.  I can't remember which one of the books I was reading but it said the focus should be on the arms and the kick should not require a lot of effort in order to save the legs for the bike and run.  Also, after a very short web search, I found this article (take a look at the last paragraph and the comments about a non-overt kick):

http://www.totalimmersion.net/2002%20ARCHIVES/june-02/q&a-finsandkicking.html

However, as with many topics within the world of triathlon, there are also many sides and numerous opinions on the best way to do anything.  I would be really interested to read something that advocates making the kick a more dominant part of the swim.  Who knows, I might change my approach!

2006-02-01 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I use fins on my sprint workouts. I get the faster arm turnover and really kick with my legs. The fins will help your legs get stronger but if you use them all of the time your legs will get nice and strong but your arms will suffer.

2006-02-01 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
With the exception of kicking drills, I never use fins. I had read about using them and/or paddles to do overspeed work but according to what I have found the typical triathlete doesn't even approach the weekly volume required to benefit from overspeed drills. I forget the number that was kicked around, but it was at least 10-15km/week.

Shane
2006-02-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #336491

kimta - 2006-02-01 1:30 PM

jwilson165 - 2006-02-01 10:58 AM
... and the kick is a HUGE part of distance swims. this a common misconception...

I respectfully disagree.  IMO, I don't think the kick is a HUGE part of distance swims.  All of my swim coaches said to use a steady easy kick during long races but not to kick as hard as I would in a sprint.  I think that is even more important when swimming in a triathlon.  I can't remember which one of the books I was reading but it said the focus should be on the arms and the kick should not require a lot of effort in order to save the legs for the bike and run.  Also, after a very short web search, I found this article (take a look at the last paragraph and the comments about a non-overt kick):

http://www.totalimmersion.net/2002%20ARCHIVES/june-02/q&a-finsandkicking.html

However, as with many topics within the world of triathlon, there are also many sides and numerous opinions on the best way to do anything.  I would be really interested to read something that advocates making the kick a more dominant part of the swim.  Who knows, I might change my approach!

basically what i was trying to say is that many people disregard kicking and let their feet drag. im not saying to kick as hard as you can, but a six beat kick is crucial to a complete stroke. im also not suggesting that it should dominate either, but it should provide a little power. try this: the next time you swim a 200 try and keep a six beat kick for the whole thing. its harder than you think! its always been my experience that swimmers have trouble not kicking instead of kicking too hard and thats why i chose to emphasize it. i guess sometimes i forget im on a tri forum and not a pure swimming one cheers.
2006-02-01 2:21 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Swimming is 90% technique. I did not have a swimming back ground either and read a lot, took some lesson, and I also no have a tri coach that was a college swimmer.

I have zoomers in my bag as part of my drill program, my coach sets up my program and almost all of workout is swim. I have a friend who is doing IMAZ and is trying to qualify for Kona, his coach is "the" Mark Allen. My friend is swimming 16,000 yards a week in the pool and almost all of his workout is drills.

The reason for fins are: to improve your kick because it teaches proper leg extension in the water, teaches you to kick more from the hip flexors and upper legs and not knees.

I do use the fins for drills that require (1) me to have speed to perform them i.e. side stroke. (2) if I want to really concentrate on a drill (like finger tip drag), the fins allow me to get a little more speed so I can focus on the drill not the kick. So I am performing the drill at a slower speed and focusing on the drill, while I am able to 2 or 4 kick and keep up my speed.

I do not use the fins for the whole workout (nor do I use paddles, kick board or any of the other stuff for drills), and I do not use them for speed drills, kick board, or dolphin kicks. The fins are only used for performing my drills at slower speed to I can perfect them.

Fattyboobbalatty, I have learned that swimming is a lot like golf. To get really good at golf you take lessons and you perform all of the drills at half speed or slower (I was a 6 handicap); it is all muscle memory. Same with swimming, golf and swimming are all technique. Going out and swimming as hard and long as you can go, is not really going to make you that much faster. But you learn who to push the water under you correctly, learn who to be more streamline, and work on those things slow till they are perfect. Now that is when you get fast....

2006-02-01 3:12 PM
in reply to: #336592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Golfinggods said it very well. It is crucial to practice good technique. If you swim "hard" you may be practicing bad form which will become second nature and you will end up reverting to the bad form when you start to feel tired and it can become a downward spiral that is hard to correct in a race (trust me I know). On a personal note I flutter kick gently to maintain a nice form but rely on my stroke for speed. During the last 100 yards of a swim leg I kick a little harder to try to get blood pumping in my legs. I can't say if it really helps my time at all, but I feel less wobbly when I stand up.
2006-02-01 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I am a lousy kicker. I generate very little propulsion with kicking drills. I just can't feel it. Coach recommended zoomers so I could feel the water better. It absolutely helps. Same with paddles, it guides a better feel for your catch than bare hands. Swimming is about imprinting correct muscle memory, that's what these props are for.

2006-02-01 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for all the replies. I actually have a pretty decent background in swimming, was on swim team from kindergarten until 8th grade (so I think I have a good form, and the instructor thought I did too)... it's just that the only training gear we ever used were kickboards. I was just trying to understand why you would use something that from my understanding made a drill easier. But everything you all said makes sense, and I'm defiantly going to get some because it took all I had to keep up with the others while doing kick board and side stroke. Should I maybe only use the fins for drills and then take them off when I'm just doing some endurance exercises? She had us do drills where it was important to use the fins, but then we did like this ladder exercise where you did 100 m, short rest, 200 m bit longer rest, 300 m w/ even longer rest, then back down to 200, 100. So I'm assuming on something like that it would be in my best interest to NOT use the fins?
2006-02-02 9:11 AM
in reply to: #336559

Veteran
Michigan

basically what i was trying to say is that many people disregard kicking and let their feet drag. im not saying to kick as hard as you can, but a six beat kick is crucial to a complete stroke. im also not suggesting that it should dominate either, but it should provide a little power. try this: the next time you swim a 200 try and keep a six beat kick for the whole thing. its harder than you think! its always been my experience that swimmers have trouble not kicking instead of kicking too hard and thats why i chose to emphasize it. i guess sometimes i forget im on a tri forum and not a pure swimming one cheers.

Thanks for the clarification.  I hate to say this but...I have to disagree again - sorry!    I don't believe that the 6 beat kick is crucial to a complete stroke.  Many great distance swimmers actually use a 2 beat kick.  The type of kick (2, 4 or 6 beat) a swimmer uses depends on their stroke.  If you have good body position and good technique you can effectively use a 2 beat kick.  I only use a 6 beat kick when I am doing sprints or and 2 beat for distance. 

I don't mean to "beat" (ha, ha) this topic to death but I think it is important that people know there are several options as far as kicking methods and the pros/cons of each.

2006-02-02 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
My master's swim coach is a retired college coach (NC State) who has forgotten more about swimming than I'll ever learn. He has us use fins quite a bit.

From a personal perspective, I had a hard time a first -- I was more tired after a workout and my legs cramped easily. After a while I started to see big improvements in my endurance, form, and muscle strength. Leg cramps are a thing of the past as well.

Now I'm starting to average about 2500 yards per 1 hour workout and feel strong when I'm done. Maybe fins are only a part of that, but I've got no complaints!
2006-02-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #337133

kimta - 2006-02-02 10:11 AM

Thanks for the clarification.  I hate to say this but...I have to disagree again - sorry!    I don't believe that the 6 beat kick is crucial to a complete stroke.  Many great distance swimmers actually use a 2 beat kick.  The type of kick (2, 4 or 6 beat) a swimmer uses depends on their stroke.  If you have good body position and good technique you can effectively use a 2 beat kick.  I only use a 6 beat kick when I am doing sprints or and 2 beat for distance. 

I don't mean to "beat" (ha, ha) this topic to death but I think it is important that people know there are several options as far as kicking methods and the pros/cons of each.

we sure have beat it to death like i was saying before, im still in a pure swimming metality. im beginning to find that tri/distance swimming is a little different and ability levels vary a lot more than im used to. at the very least, we are both giving pros and cons which translates into good information and thats what the forum is all about, right? good luck with training everyone. thanks for the info kimta.

Edited by jwilson165 2006-02-02 10:02 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming with fins during training? Rss Feed  

of 2