General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike question re stationary biking? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-01 11:58 AM

Los Angeles, California
Subject: bike question re stationary biking?
Hello!
I have a question about training for the bike leg.
I won't have a bike up and running for another few weeks most likely, but don't want to get behind on my training.
I know each stationary bike is different, but is there a way that anyone recommends training on it? Any suggestions on how to use the settings to try and recreate (as much as possible) the feel of being on the road, so it can be useful in my training in the mean time? Again, I know each bike is different at a gym, but any suggestions very welcome. Thanks!

2006-02-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: #336452

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: bike question re stationary biking?

Forget about what the settings and output of the bike say and go by your effort level. You'll never get it to feel like the road, there are too many things missing.

If you have a heart rate monitor, use that to determine your effort level.  It's the amount of work your legs and cardiovascular system are doing and for how long that matters, not what the readout on the bike says.

From your training log it looks like you're just starting out. Try to shoot for something like a cadence of 90 rpm with your heart rate in Zones 1-2. There are a number of articles here on using heart rate or RPE to determine your workout zones.

2006-02-01 12:54 PM
in reply to: #336452

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Like marmadaddy said, don't rely on the stats for info to compare to the outside.  But you can use it to compare to itself as long as you always use the same type of bike.  For example, I just set up my trainer a couple of weeks ago but before that I rode only the stationary bike at the gym for three months.  When I started I could only ride at level 8 at the rpms I wanted for any length of time.  I've worked my way up to level 12.  I have no idea how that will translate to the road but it better mean something because I've been working my tail off!

In the meantime I've used my time on the stationary bike to take advantage of the info it can give me.  I've been drilling it into my body what the cadence I want to ride at feels like and now I don't have to think about it so much. 

Good luck and good training.

2006-02-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: #336495

Los Angeles, California
Thanks for your responses. I'm going to look into these articles for more info on how it all works as far as measuring heart rate as a tool. Is it necessary to purchase a monitor. I'm glad to hear that it's possible to use the stationary bike effectively, b/c though not ideal it's what I've got to work with right now, so I'm going to rock that stationary bike!
thanks again!
2006-02-01 7:01 PM
in reply to: #336517

User image

Expert
As far as your HR, some stationary bikes have sensors on the handlebars to measure HR. They may not be the most accurate measurement of HR but if buying your own HRM is something that you would rather not buy now, it should be fairly accurate. You just have to know what your own HR zones are and not go by the machine's calculations of your zones, as they may be very different.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike question re stationary biking? Rss Feed