General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I missing anything? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-01 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, Indiana
Subject: Am I missing anything?
OK…OK, I have always understood the biking and running part of a triathlon. Get on your bike and peddle fast. If you have aero bars, get into an aero dynamic position. Put on a good pair of shoes and run. Go slow to build a base, and then run fast, but efficient.

I decided to devote more time this winter to the swim. I am compiling a list of things to remember let me know if I missed anything:

Keep your head low in the water (keeps your feet up), swim downhill…exhale under water…kick, but not too much (this will tire you out for the other two disciplines) …swim on your side…breath on both sides…site ahead for the buoys…keep arm at a 45 degree angle…Make sure my hand is ahead of my elbow…swim as you would over a barrel…if in a pool do flip turns. If I am late to the pool I have a choice between having to swim with the older folks doing their water aerobics, or ask the college speed swimmer to share his lane (doesn’t help me with my confidence either choice!)

My body never hurts after swimming, it’s my head!

2006-02-01 4:57 PM
in reply to: #336622

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Am I missing anything?

You forgot:  use the search function in the forums at BT to find one of dozens of swim related threads that discuss the technical aspect of swimming in such detail it can be excruciating.  (meant as a compliment)

Seriously, I have learned so much just from reading these threads its incredible.  I may get a coach someday or take a class if I plateau and can't seem to keep improving on my own, but I can't believe that there's much more to learn than what I've learned here.  I just have to practice getting better at doing it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I missing anything? Rss Feed