General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-fitting - what went wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-04 12:59 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Re-fitting - what went wrong?
So I've had my darling "snowball" (white Specialized Rubaix), for close to a year now. When I bought it, I got fitted and have been happy with it up until about 3-4 months ago. I started feeling very uncomfortable on it and lately "the guy" has been getting numb. Only when I started getting uncomfortable did I start messing with the seat position only. Before that, a two hour ride was very common until lately.

I took it to the shop I bought it from (they have a FIST certified guy), started making some pretty big changes (raised the seat about 3 inches, reversed the stem, changed the seat, new stem on order, etc.). We both ran out of time and with every adjustment he made, I would feel a little better but not quit there. I have another appt. to finis this coming Wed.

I got on the bike (trainer), last night for the first time since these changes and my calves are killing me, I'm not sure if my reach to the 6:00 position is too much and I found myself shaking all over the place (was I not fitted right the first time or is it wrong now?). Although, a tiny bit more comfy but still, "the guy" felt like it was about to fall off after 20min.

For any of you cycle heads out there (Bear?), can you give me some pointers on what to look for when I'm getting fitted. I'm not sure the saddle that came with the bike is the right one for me (we're going to try some when I return). Anything I did not point out here (trying to find out what I don't know).

My endurance is there and I would've gone much longer (like I did when I first got the bike), if not for the saddle and "the guy" going totally numb. I trust the fitter knows what he is doing, seems like a good listener and has been more than willing to work with the feedback I give him but I guess I'm trying to find out what I need to look for to give him the right info so he can do his job. Also, why was I able to ride 30-40 miles without a problem, now I can't do 15???

Any help would be appreciated.

2006-02-04 4:12 PM
in reply to: #338805

Champion
Subject: RE: Re-fitting - what went wrong?

I maybe way off base here, but the thing that stuck out the most was the bit about "raising the seat about 3."  All I gotta say is "Wow!"  I'm going out on a limb and guessing that with a large adjustment like that, you probably weren't fitted correctly in the first place.  It staggers me to think that a 3" seat adjustment was required.  I can feel it if I adjust mine 1/4" and 3" makes me wonder if the frame size is correct for you.

Work with these guys and don't let up until you're comfortable.  After a couple months of extensive riding, a well fitting bike should feel like a second skin, you should be able to climb on and immediately fall into place, almost like relaxing in a soft recliner.  If you have to make conscious efforts to scoot back on the saddle, or if holding the aero bars feels unnatural, then things are not right.  I feel more comfortable on my bike than I do in my car.

Edited by max 2006-02-04 4:14 PM
2006-02-04 5:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Sounds like the new fit is an aggressive aero fit. I did that last year, flipped the seat and took out 2 spacers on the bars. It was a big change and a significantly different fit than I ride on my rode bike. You may want to gradually go to the more aggressive fit rather than taking such a big jump all at once.

2006-02-04 8:37 PM
in reply to: #338865

Master
Brooklyn, NY
max - 2006-02-04 4:12 PM

I maybe way off base here, but the thing that stuck out the most was the bit about "raising the seat about 3."  All I gotta say is "Wow!"  I'm going out on a limb and guessing that with a large adjustment like that, you probably weren't fitted correctly in the first place.  It staggers me to think that a 3" seat adjustment was required.  I can feel it if I adjust mine 1/4" and 3" makes me wonder if the frame size is correct for you.

If you have to make conscious efforts to scoot back on the saddle, or if holding the aero bars feels unnatural, then things are not right.  I feel more comfortable on my bike than I do in my car.

Yeah, I've wondered about the frame size for me lately too. When I saw how much he raised the seat I was in awe. And yes the aerobars are out of the question. I feel the pinch right away, enough that it forces me back up.
I sure hope I can get as comfortable as you are on your bike.

Thanks
2006-02-04 8:41 PM
in reply to: #338905

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Manatee Express - 2006-02-04 5:54 PM
Sounds like the new fit is an aggressive aero fit. I did that last year, flipped the seat and took out 2 spacers on the bars. It was a big change and a significantly different fit than I ride on my rode bike. You may want to gradually go to the more aggressive fit rather than taking such a big jump all at once.

It's actually not quit as agressive as it sounds (at least I don't think). I think I told hiim what he already knew when I said that I'm not ready to do serious racing yet.
2006-02-04 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Tuscaloosa, AL
Max is right on.

You said the shop you bought the bike from fitted you, yet the same shop raised your seat 3 FREAKING INCHES. Dude that's not even in the parking lot of the stadium. Did they really fit you when you first bought the bike? Making a radical change in position like you did is going to make some things sore at first.

If you're pretty close on fit, you shouldn't get any numbness after only 20 minutes unless you have one of Sheldon Brown's "Real Man" saddles. Something's pretty far off. Once you get dialed in write down your measurements for future reference.

Saddles are pretty much an individual thing. It may take several attempts to find even the shape you like, much less find that perfect one for you. I even like different saddles depending on how I'm riding. A lot of people swear by the Aliante but I can't stand them. I've been pretty happy with the Arione though and a Terry Fly.

2006-02-04 11:34 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

Post a pic?  It will help some of the bike experts on the site see if there's a problem. 

I agree with the above posts that the 3" seat adjustment is pretty radical and wierd.  I mean, when you mentioned the calves and the shaking on the trainer, the first thing that came to mind is the seat is too high. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Re-fitting - what went wrong? Rss Feed