Waco Striders
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 34s
Overall Rank = 7/40
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

This trail run started at 1:00pm - so it was a little different than your normal morning start. This morning wasn't too different from any other Saturday, we got up around 8am - ate waffles with the kids and did a few home projects.

I ate a sandwich at 11:00am with some cheetos and some Sprite.
Event warmup:

For a warmup, I biked to the race from home. I left about 11:30 and road the 10 miles to the park. It was a little windy, I just took my time. Arrived at 12:15, so I had 45 minutes to stand around and chat with some other runners.
Run
  • 43m 34s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out and was surprised to be with the lead pack. In fact one guy looked like a runner (fast marathoner), but I think this must have been his first time running trails and these trails are tough, on the first downhill with loose rocks, we left him walking down it.

My Avg HR for the whole 5 miles was 169, but I can't remember ever looking down and seeing anything less than 170 something. In fact running up one of the hills it got up to 184. I stayed behind one guy the whole time, was hoping to pass him on the last 1/4 mile, but he passed another runner just before climbing the last hill. I got stuck behind the slower runner and when we got at the top of the hill with just 1/4 mile, I was too far behind to catch him.

This was a small race, but it was my first 1st place in my age group. That feels pretty good!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate some trail mix and pretzels. Waited around for the awards to be given out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did this about as hard as I could go the whole time.

Event comments:

I have attached some pictures of the park, it is really nice to have this so close to my house.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-01-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:34 | 05 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 7/40
Performance: Good
Course: Trails through Cameron Park in Waco.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No