General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I wear a knee brace? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-07 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: Should I wear a knee brace?
I apologize in advance for a total lack of medical terms:

Ok, just getting back into things after the birth of my third child and some injury issues. One of my problems involved knee pain. However, it didn't hurt at all when I'd run, but the next day would be really painful when I'd be going up stairs, getting out of the car or generally putting weight on it in a flexed position. I went to a sports doc, and after x-raying my knees and working with me a while, he said that my problem is that my kneecap doesn't track straight up and down in the proper groove, but rather follows somewhat of a J-shaped pattern. He gave me some exercises to do - leg lifts while lying on my side, leg extensions - to strengthen certain leg muscles and hopefully keep the kneecap in proper place.

While swimming this morning I was chatting with a woman who has done a few Ironmans, and she suggested that in addition to these exercises, that she thought it would be a good idea to also wear a brace while running to try to help keep the kneecap from slipping out of the groove.

First, does anyone know the medical term for my symptoms, just so I could try to do some more research? Second, for anyone who has experience with this sort of thing, do you recommend the brace, and if so, what kind?

-Matt

2006-02-07 12:38 PM
in reply to: #340407

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: RE: Should I wear a knee brace?
I have (what sounds like) a very similar condition...for me it was diagnosed as patellar subluxation. I ended up taking 3 months off of training and now wear a knee brace to help it track better. I got my knee brace at MC Sports and its similar to this:

http://www.mcsports.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10598&cp=710547...

I've been training since mid-December again using this brace and it's been feeling great...hopefully it'll stay great throughout the season!

2006-02-07 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
WV

Hey Matt,
It sounds like you are suffering from what is known as patellar-femoral syndrome.  I would suggest you look at correcting the problem while treating the the symptoms.  Using a brace to help diminsh the symptoms you presently have, is definitely the right way to go.  A brace with a dougnut like that suggested is what I would give my athletes.  However, the ligament supporting bars may not be needed.   I would suggest maybe seeing a sports medicine oriented allied health professional (ATC or PT) who treats this type of condition.  I have a had great success using a McConnell taping procedure to correct the problem in conjunction with specific exercises to strengthen and stretch the tissues involved.  Good Luck.

2006-02-08 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Great, thanks for the replies. I've been doing some more Google research on it, and I do think that it seems like the patellar femoral syndrome, but even if it is patellar subluxation, it appears that all of the physical therapy exercises are generally the same, just strengthening the quad and stretching.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I wear a knee brace? Rss Feed