General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plan help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-08 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
Subject: training plan help
I am not new to tri's at all, but have a question on how to schedule my plan. In the past I have done sprints and 1 oly last year. I have used plans from this great site. Well I am now planning a half marathon in the middle of June. And my a race is in the middle of July. I am toying around with doing the "a" race as a oly but may opt for the srpint because a number of people do it together with me and I would like to be in the same race time wise. Now how can I change a sprint plan to accomadate a half marathon plan all in the same. Has anyone else done this. Swimming isn't an issue, I could probably stop swimming today and still be able to cope in the water as I am a strong swimmer. My bike is average, and my running is below average. That is in part why I want to do the longer race, to work on my running with a race to focus on. Any pointers or ideas anyone? Thanks for your time and help.

2006-02-08 8:52 PM
in reply to: #341740

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: training plan help

Others I'm sure have been in this situation, but perhaps if you have a 1/2 mary plan you will be following, just use the runs from the 1/2 mary plan and keep the bike and swim from a sprint plan?  You may have to cut the bike down a session or two per week if your 1/2 mary plan has a lot of run days-or just for recovery. 

But maybe if your run is below average, instead of going longer, how about just up the frequency to at least 4x per week-perhaps 2 short runs, a med and a long run?  Keep the bike to 1-2 times per week.  You may find that getting out there and running more per week and not necessarily upping hte mileage will help in a month or two.

Just some ideas.

2006-02-08 9:15 PM

User image

Master
I was going to say do the run focused Oly plan and sub in the runs from the half marathon plan... that way sprint tri or oly tri your training will be good to go. Runners World has a 3 day a week half marathon plan in it this month that would fit nicely with either the run focused sprint or oly plan.
2006-02-09 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
Thanks guys, I think I will check in to the runners world plan, give me a good excuse to purchase some more reading material.
2006-02-09 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
This month's Runners World has a half mary version of the FIRST marathon plan, which prescribes 3 runs per week.  That type of run training schedule should fit nicely into a multisport program.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » training plan help Rss Feed