General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for the Run segment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-11 9:57 AM

Chelsea, MI
Subject: Training for the Run segment
I've been training for an Olympic distance tri in early July for the past 4 weeks. So far things are going well, swimming is improving by leaps and bounds, and I am getting more comfortable on the bike. Maybe I'm just being hard on myself, but it feels like my runs have not been all that great lately. My goal for the race is to hold a 9 minute mile pace in the run. What is the best way to train for that? My runs for the next 5 weeks are the same distance, or longer than what I'll run in the race. Should I try to hold my goal pace? or train myself to go under that? Would interval work help? I ran 4 miles this morning in 35 minutes, but it was not pretty. Last week I ran 7 miles in 62 minutes, which I was pretty psyched about, but now that I know I can do that, I'd like to start dropping minutes off my long runs. Any tips?

Edited by Reiley 2004-05-11 9:58 AM

2004-05-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #24192

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Training for the Run segment

check out the article... http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=189

also try some negative splits...i have been trying to work some of these in the last half of my run when i am good and warmed up.  do any speed/interval training on your shorter runs...i feel u wanna keep your long runs easy-breezy BUT at least try a negative split for the long ones as a little mix.  of course your talking to a 10min/miler...what do i know?

2004-05-11 5:38 PM
in reply to: #24192

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Training for the Run segment

Interval work is great for improving running speed.  I usually do my intervals on the middle-of-the-road distance days, (8-12 miles) and try to do as much of the intervals in the second half of the run as possible.  Since I do distance, I know I'm going to need some stuff in the latter stages of the race.

Sharon

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for the Run segment Rss Feed