General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Couch to 5K' to '16 Wk Oly' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-09 8:50 AM

User image

Subject: 'Couch to 5K' to '16 Wk Oly'
I'm gearing up for my first Oly June 4. I'm attempting to adapt the 16 Week Olympic plan from this site to my (very basic) abilities.

I'd like to continue the run progress I've made after completing the 16 Week Couch to 5K. After injuring myself last fall, I've used this to increase my run times slowly. I'm now running 37 minutes 3 times per week. I increase 10% each week, with no increase every fourth week.

The run plan has three runs per week of equal time. The Oly plans have either a short and long run or a short, medium, and long run. The long run time is equal to where I am now and the shorter times are therefore shorter. So if I change from my current run increases to the Oly plan, I will actually be shaving quite a few miles each week.

The Question: Do I say screw the short/medium/long run plan and do 3 equal runs each week?

2006-02-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: #342129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: 'Couch to 5K' to '16 Wk Oly'

Try a build week on the shorter runs at a higher intensity. Basically switch from Volume to intensity. keep your long run on a very even heart rate, maybe Top Z2 max, or wherever you are now.  

I did sprints last year and am aiming for Capital of Texas Tri on Memorial Day here in Austin - after coming off a half marathon training program  - I could easily do the longer runs, so I ramped up to my 5K pace on the shorter runs and when I go long, I just keep it low and slow.  Tell me if/how it works for you.

2006-02-09 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

You're decreasing running distance and volume, but adding cycling and swimming. The thing to look at is overall volume. If you've been running for 120 minutes per week and suddenly add 180 minutes of cycling and 120 minutes of swimming, you're putting a lot of stress on yourself. Decreasing the run volume initially can help to ease that. 

Something else to bear in mind is that cycling and running do use some of the same muscles. You can aggravate some running injuries by cycling and vice versa.

Have you considered changing intensity rather than volume? Say, doing the long runs at Zone 1/2, and start to add in some speed or strength work on the short and medium runs. The added intensity will more than make up for the decreased volume.

If you're concerned about performance on race day (you train to race), you'll get more out of doing each workout with a specific purpose in mind. However, if you're training for general fitness and a goal race helps to motivate you (you race to train) do the runs that you enjoy.

2006-02-09 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Based on your logs it's hard to tell what (if any) background you currently have in the othe sports. As you have just finished the couch to 5k, I am going to assume that you have been doing little, if any, training in the other disciplines. As such, I would say go with the short, medium, long runs until you at least find out how your body is going to deal with the added stress of swimming, biking and running.

Also, for your shorter runs you can do as the previous poster mentioned, however I would avoid ramping speed all the way up to 5k pace except for very brief periods. If you are going to do some speedwork, you would probably be better served waiting until the beginning of April to start those. For now, you can probably use the short run to focus on drills (leg turnover, pickups, strides, etc) and the medium runs for some tempo work (faster pace continuous effort but still not race pace) and the long run for long slow distance.

Hope this helps,

Shane
2006-02-09 5:54 PM

User image

Great advice on the change in tempo ideas. I'm excited to incorporate them.

FYI - I have been swimming and biking as well. After my first sprint in September, I have maintained and improved upon my fitness, so the Couch to 5K was only focused on the run. (I injured my foot last August, so I wanted to start from scratch with running and maintain swim and bike.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 'Couch to 5K' to '16 Wk Oly' Rss Feed