2006-02-11 2:03 AM
in reply to: #343402

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-02-11 6:25 AM

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri
Subject: RE: OK People, talk me down....

Well, a couple of thoughts.  One is- buy what fits.  Second- Ultegra components are much smoother and somwhat lighter than 105's (I've had both and much prefer the Ultegras that I have now).  Trek is a great company- who stands behind their frame.  I've know at least two people who have sent their frames back for repair (carbon frames that cracked YEARS after they bought them) and they got new frames!!

We are a Trek family with 2 road bikes & 2 mtn bikes. So- my opinion may be a little biased.

The extra $$ comes from the components (which are not Trek related) and probably the wheels are higher grade.  I also know that Trek outfits their aluminum bikes with carbon forks- which is a huge plus if this one has one (which would raise the price some).  I also have a couple of friends with WSD design bikes and they swear by them.  I've never been on one and can't afford a new bike, so I'm not sitting on one <grin>.

All in all- the Trek with the listed components is a better bike.

Good luck choosing- and the pink's not all that bad. 

2006-02-11 7:38 AM

Champion
Alabama
Putting aside all reason, consider this. Next year you will have totally fogotten the differnce in the cost in the bikes. You will either have the more expensive bike and be happy you got what you really wanted or you will have 'settled' for the cheaper one but I gautentee you will not have $600 in extra cash in your checking account.

BTW, I thought I was getting a $1,300 bike but by the time I left the bike store I was out $1,800. I had to get bike shoes for a c-note, pedals for another $115 and of course I had to have a new helmet to match my bike and bottle racks and seat pack and mirror and tail light and wireless bike computer and sales tax and, and, and....

But I ended up with a bike I really like. What's the differance in men and boys? ;-)

~Mike
2006-02-11 9:49 AM

Not sure if my last response was shown....don't see it. Anyways, Felt bikes get great reviews....Trek bikes are everywhere ( most shops carry them ) and it seems to be the reason so many people ride them. Get the bike that fits right....you will enjoy it more.
2006-02-11 10:29 AM

Master
San Mateo, CA
I owned a Felt with 105 components and didn't have any problems with the components. As for the bike itself, well, I grew to detest aluminum in a big way. Of course, I was training for a century ride at the time, and immediately upon completion of my century I came home and placed an ad on craigslist for the Felt. It sold fast! The bike I'm now riding has Ultegra components and I couldn't tell the difference between them and the 105s. However, my Orbea is lightyears ahead of my old Felt in terms of comfort.
2006-02-11 11:20 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
You say that you prefer the fit and the colour of the Trek.  That, in and of itself, should convince you to buy the 2200. However, if that is not enough, the Trek has slightly better components, a carbon fork and carbon seatstays that will smooth out your ride, and a better wheelset.  In all, it is a superior bike.  So, is all that worth and extra $600.  If, like most of us, you will own this bike for at least ten years, that comes out to $60 a year ... so yes, in my estimation it is well worth it.  HOWEVER, the final decision is yours.  What do you YOU THINK? 

2006-02-11 12:38 PM

molto veloce mama
fit fit fit fit. worth every penny if it felt better. you should test a BUNCH of bikes out and i think you will 'know' when you get on the right one. some its adjustable, and some of its different geometry, but when a bike feels good right off the bat, that's a great thing. the components are better. my husband has 105 on his rivendell and likes it, but ultegra is nicer and i would gander that's the main reason for the price difference. one question i would ask is how comfortable you will be if you decide to put clip on aero bars. some road bikes have geometry that favors aero bars better than others.

and hey, if you get the pink trek, you could get that pink leapord print giro helmet to match! woo hoo!

Edited by autumn 2006-02-11 12:43 PM

Attachments
----------------
7410341.jpeg (14KB - 51 downloads)
2006-02-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #343504

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Rocket Man - 2006-02-10 8:19 PM To completely blow your mind.......if you are thinking of getting a road bike and "converting it" to a tri bike then you have to look at the Cervelo Soloist. Its a road bike with a reversable seat post to give it a more aggresive "tri" feel to it. You can use it as a road bike for crits, or centuries and flip the seat post around for a steeper seat angle for tris. Just a thought! Good luck on whatever you decide.

HMMMMM TREK OR FELT.?

WHAT HE SAID - BUY THE CERVELO.  HA HA HA

Seriously bike fit is more important than price when you consider how many miles you'll put on the dang thing.   If the trek feels best with it's Women specific design, I'd go trek.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OK People, talk me down.... Rss Feed  

of 2