General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much time... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-11 5:28 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: How much time...
How much time do you drop off your practice times in a real race?

I'm curious whether most athletes find that they drop significant time from thier practice runs, or do most find that they go about the same speed.

When I swam in highschool, there was nothing like a real race to bring out my best time (maybe ~1 second faster than what I could do in practice per 50yds). Does the same thing tend to hold true for endurance races?

I've timed myself seperatly in each leg, and my times look about like:

800 meter swim: 14 min
12.4 mile ride: 34 min
3.2 mile run: 28.5 min

(I'm horribly compeditive with myself, and I'm always pushing hard to improve my avg speed, etc - which is why I have pretty good records of these

I'm trying to anticipate what my time "should" be; should I add these time together, and add a couple minutes for the transitions? Do you find that the adrenaline rush from racing makes up for the fatigue from doing all three legs back-to-back?

Or is this somewhat silly to even try to figure out because of differences in tri courses?

Thanks!

Keith

2004-05-11 5:35 PM
in reply to: #24308

, Alabama
Subject: RE: How much time...

My swim is my swim, it seems, no matter what I do (but I'm a lousy swimmer, so don't go by that).  My bike avg is 16-17 in practice (alone), ~20 in a sprint tri (~10 mile ride), and I just did an oly where the bike avg was 19 (24.8 mile ride).  My run is my best event, and I train at about 8:45-9:00/mile.  In a sprint du where each run is 2 miles, (I just did one) my 1st run average was 6:37 and the second was 7:00.  In the oly I recently did, I found that because of the swim and bike before the run, I was very consistent with each mile split, ~7:45. 

You will find that not only is each tri different, but the same course on a different day is different as well (i.e. rainy, windy or hot conditions) will make a big difference, especially on the bike.

Sharon

2004-05-12 3:33 PM
in reply to: #24308

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: How much time...
For my first sprint race last month I targeted the swim time as I did in my pool training, for the bike I targeted +1mph over my training and for the run I targeted a pace 30 sec slower than my 5k race pace from 2 weeks previous. I ended up being on for each disciple and that included with having to stop and stretch out a left calf spasm for 20-30 seconds during the run (fast 2nd mile). I did nothing for the 4 days before the event and was itching to go mentally and 100% fresh physically. I didn't think too much of T times other than making sure I didn't do anything moronic like try to put on my socks with wet feet :-) I also made sure in the transition area that I located my bike and personals at the end of the rack so I had plenty of room to do my thing. I put on speed laces on my sneakers, slip, pull and go!

My adrenaline rush was gone after the first minutes of the swim. After that it was mental auto pilot and the will to catch the next person in front of me!

Good luck...
Don

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How much time... Rss Feed