General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-02-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: #344752

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website

Joel... I really like Sisu Multisport...

Anyone involved in Triathlon will know what that means.

Sisu Multi-sport

specialized training for the multi-sport endurance athlete

You would have to be pretty stupid not to get that... and the concept of Sisu is AWESOME!

You had better start learning to read/ write Finnish though... If you start on line coaching you could get very popular in Finland! I think you will make a great coach Joel! follow your dream!

2006-02-14 10:46 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Joel,

From someone who has been in your shoes recently let me share with you a few lessons learned:

1) Whatever your company is called make sure that it is easy to remember. I can't tell you how many people I have met at the pool (no pen or business cards) and have tried to tell them what my website address is (was, I let it go early this year) and them not being able to remember it.

2) Get a pro to do your web design, I tried to do my own and it looked very amatuerish and unprofessional.

3) Get  your name out there by offering a clinic or a lecture at your Y or health club.

4) Have your athletes sign a Waiver and Release from Liability as soon as they start training with you. This protects you and your personal assets.

5) Incorporate (see above)

6) Get a certification from a governing body (USAT ) this not only makes you legit, it also gives you $2 million in liability insurance as long as your coaching license is current.

Good luck! Coaching athletes is a very gratifying profession, especically new athletes. Seeing their progress and celebrating their achievements is an indescribeable feeling.

Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions. 

2006-02-14 11:05 AM
in reply to: #345514

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
maybe should have the word coaching in the name...could help when people GOOGLE "coaching"

Sisu Multisport Coaching

yeah, that's the ticket........just send me that check anytime

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-02-14 11:05 AM
2006-02-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: #345546

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks for the advice Brett-

The goal is to make the name short and sweet...and hopefully easy to remember.  I haven't started to do my homework on what needs to be done in setting up a personal business but I assumed I would incorporate and figured liability waivers and such would need to be standard in a business like this.  I'm expecting to be USAT Level I certified by the end of the summer and I have a few other certifications at the top of my list as priorities over the next few years...USA Cycling, CSCS, and Total Immersion ceritfied instructor are what I think I'll focus on to get things off the ground.

So what was your web address and what is it now?

2006-02-14 11:05 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

So I can't stop thinking about this but I thnk I'm getting really close.  Here's what I cam up with during my run this evening:

SISU Endurance & Fitness

~Specializing in Personalized Training for the Multisport Athlete~ 

or

SISU Multisport & Fitness

~Specializing in Personalized Training for the Endurance Athlete~

The actual name is general enough to not exclude anyone (and also leave it open to general fitness and conditioning) while the sub-title helpd to specify what my primary focus is.  Of course within any printed materials or web page I can go into more detail about the different types of coaching/training I would offer to explain that I'm not limited to triathletes.

2006-02-15 7:00 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I like the SISU multisport and Fitness, some people may take the word "endurance" and feel it is for the more "elite" athlete. Check on register.com for URL availability....suggestions would be; stay away from URL's with hyphens, .com names are probably preferable some people forget to look and will not type .net, etc. I would suggest register your URL, even if you don't get the website up and running right away - that way it is yours....it's $35.00 for a year.

Good Luck!!!

2006-02-15 8:48 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Joel - this is nitpicking but I think nitpicking is what you want.  In the interest of brevity the "specializing in..." could be dropped.  So it would say "Personalized training for....".  I think that still says exactly what you want to say in fewer words. 

Some will say that worrying this far ahead of time about precise details is unnecessary.  On some levels they may be right.  On the other hand, this type of obsession over minor details that you want to get just right is the best way for you to go into business for yourself.  Speaking as someone who runs their own business I can tell you that you will sweat these kinds of details morning, noon and night for the rest of your working life.  It will be one of the hardest and most rewarding things you've ever done.  Go ahead and obsess now, it's good practice for the future.

Regardless of the final format, I think if you use Sisu whoever posted that gets the prize, just my opinion.

2006-02-15 8:54 AM
in reply to: #346206

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

Tri-It - 2006-02-15 8:00 AM...I would suggest register your URL, even if you don't get the website up and running right away - that way it is yours....it's $35.00 for a year. Good Luck!!!

joker.com is alot less than $35/year ($12/year), as probably are lots of other places. If you're looking for someone to do the web design, let me suggest my cousin's business: http://www.tekture.com/ 

BTW, I think SISU sounds really cool, and I agree with dropping the "Specializing in" part of the sub-title.

2006-02-15 8:59 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
I think Sisu is great - both for what it stands for and in being catchy...are you interested in doing training for non-endurance athletes, or are you going to specialize in that?  If you want a broad range - you could use Sisu Fitness Coaching or something like it...there are probably a lot of people out there who will discover they want to be a triathlete once they are inspired by you.  They may come to you at first for personal training and nutrition, and decide to try a tri..... just thinking out loud-you don't want to intimidate potential clients, unless you just want to work with endurance athletes.  you're going to be great! 
2006-02-15 9:05 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm primarily interested in multisport and endurance athletes but I'm definitely open to general fitness and conditioning too...no need to limit my potential customer base.  That's why I'd like to have "fitness" in the name but also have the sub-title that points to my primary focus being on endurance.  I think it's a good compromise that is inclusive and specific at the same time. 
2006-02-15 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

The only reason I added "Specializing in" is because I don't want it to sound like I am limited to endurance athletes.  That's something I can tinker with down the line though.  I've got the name which lets me register my URL and start working on the financial organization aspect.

Final decision...Sisu Multisport & Fitness...Jim get's the prize!

I'm actually amazed that I went from no idea to being completely convinced I have the right name in less than 24 hours.  I figured I'd be mulling this over for weeks in not longer.  I guess sometimes things just click.  THANKS JIM.  I'll find some way to show my appreciation.

Edited by TH3_FRB 2006-02-15 9:21 AM

2006-02-15 9:36 AM
in reply to: #346322

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
just send me small, un-marked bills..or pay my entry into Lake Placid for 2007...or a 6 pack of Sam Adams....but seriously, good luck!

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-02-15 9:42 AM
2006-02-15 9:37 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Joel,

Even though you've made your decision, here is something for you:

SISUTraining
"for begginer to elite multisport Athletes"

It makes the person ask the question what is SISU. There for read more on the site about it
It covers your everyday athlete along with your Kona aspiring types
Covers not just the Tri crowd, but endurance types (duathlon, ultra, etc)
Not limited to IronMan types...also includes Sprint types since you don't focus on "endurance"

Also, I'm looking for a coach. Want a test subject?

Also, the guy who designed the Final Kick website and the Colonial Tri website is on CRT. I can get you his info if you want.
2006-02-15 9:57 AM
in reply to: #346343

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Holy cow Dan!  How did I not realize you are in Newport News?  That's awesome...we have to do some training together!  Do you train with the Final Kick crowd at all?

That's a good idea you have there on the name...now you've got me thinking again.

I'd love to help coach you...just not sure I have ennough knowledge at this point to effectively give you what you need.  There are a couple complete beginners that I'm going to start working with for free to help them through the season.  One has Colonial HIM as his goal and first HIM so that will be cool.  The other is registered for Breezy Point as her first ever tri.  I'm happy to give you as much advice as I can but judging by your logs I'd say you're in the same neighborhood as me in terms of development.  Although we are both training for Boston and a demanding upcoming tri season so I think we'd make good training partners.  You should head down for the Sunday morning long rides with Final Kick.

2006-02-15 10:06 AM
in reply to: #346343

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-15 10:09 AM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Quite honestly, I'm kinda just picking it up as I go along. Since I've only been training since last April, I think that my general knowledge and "athletisism" is about to run out. Know what I mean.

We will definetly have to train together. What time do you guys leave out of Final Kick? I assume it's the store by the Amphib base. I think a new one just opened up, but I'm not sure where. I normally ride out of Conte's just 2 miles from my house for 50 or so on Sunday's, but I would definetly be open to coming out there.

When and where do you do your long runs? Just curious.

2006-02-15 10:42 AM
in reply to: #346376

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I've only looked over your logs quickly a few times but I saw some fast runs under 7min pace.  The marathong training I think I can help with, the IM training I think you might be better off paying for a Gold membership here in BT and hooking up with Mike on the training support forum.  Once you have access to that forum you can also follow along on the thread I have going with him to track everything I'm learning too.  It's the best $75 you can spend for your training.

Yeah, we ride from the store on Shore Drive and we've been rolling out at 8am so far but it gets earlier later in the season whgen it's warmer and we tend to go longer.  Right now I'm riding long every other Sunday...including this coming Sunday.  The group tends to be a bit small this time of year...only the serious people venture out in the cold.  We usually have an update on the Final Kick group workout forum: http://www.finalkick.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1

I usually do my long runs from Final Kick out through the trails of First Landing State Park.  It's mostly non-paved trails (easy on the knees) and there is a nice section of hills on the back side which is good for Boston training.  It's a very popular place for people to run.  I think I'm going ~20ish Friday or Saturday morning depending on how the weather works out.

2006-02-15 1:08 PM

Montana
I just wanted to give a second recommedation of the book "The E-Myth". My husband owns a small business and I work in a small architectural practice and the book is like gospel to us. ANY PERSON that is interested in the idea of owning one's own business can benefit from this book as the author has walked in your shoes and his advice can help you avoid common business-newbie mistakes. We bought it on audio CD and listened to it on a road trip (warning: it's long!), so maybe you could listen while you train for that marathon. Consider the expense of the audiobook an investment in your future success!
Best of luck to you, you seem very responsive and knowledgeable-awsome coach qualities.
2006-02-15 2:49 PM

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks for the advice...I'll pick up a copy of the book and add it to my reading list.  I know nothing about how to set up a business so I've got some learning to do.
2006-02-15 5:44 PM
in reply to: #344924

Pro
Vancouver, BC
TH3_FRB - 2006-02-13 12:02 PM

Sisu...I like it.  The word doesn't do much for me but I like what it stabds for..."a combination of stamina, perserverance, courage, and determination"

Let's see who can combine "Sisu" with something tri/endurance related without sounding like a completely random word.  www.Sisu-Racing.com is available.

Here's another definition I found similar to the above..."Special strength and stubborn determination to continue and overcome in the moment of adversity"  Doesn't that just about wrap triathlon up in one sentence?

Ironman anyone? "SISU Is the ability to hold onto the end of the rope, while dangling over a precipice, for 5 seconds longer than you thought you could. Then going 5 MORE HOURS"

To have "SISU" meant that when someone added the Straw that was meant to Break The Camel's Back, You Asked For MORE Weight!

Okay, I haven't read through the whole thread, but did you know that Sisu is the name of a sports drink and suppliments. http://www.sisu.com

It's a good name, but because of that, I don't think that it is what you want.

Jen
2006-02-15 5:52 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Joel,

I see that you decided on the name. Like I said, sisu sounds great, so if you go with it, then good. I was just being nitpicky. Sisu sponsers some major bike races around here, so when I hear the word sisu, I think about the sports drink and it doesn't taste very good. I'm sure that your company will taste much better, yeah...

Jen

2006-02-15 8:25 PM

Master
Hmmm...I wonder if a sponsership (me) could come out of this deal?
2006-02-15 8:29 PM
in reply to: #346811

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Interesting...I've never heard of that brand.  Is it a Canadian thing?  You all got some strange stuff up there.  Doesn't sound like it's a mainstream type of product since I've never heard of it or seen it advertised in any major publication so I don't think it bothers me...even if it does taste nasty.

jeng - 2006-02-15 6:44 PM
Okay, I haven't read through the whole thread, but did you know that Sisu is the name of a sports drink and suppliments. http://www.sisu.com It's a good name, but because of that, I don't think that it is what you want. Jen

2006-02-16 11:27 AM
in reply to: #346892

Pro
Vancouver, BC
TH3_FRB - 2006-02-15 6:29 PM

Interesting...I've never heard of that brand.  Is it a Canadian thing?  You all got some strange stuff up there.  Doesn't sound like it's a mainstream type of product since I've never heard of it or seen it advertised in any major publication so I don't think it bothers me...even if it does taste nasty.

jeng - 2006-02-15 6:44 PM

Okay, I haven't read through the whole thread, but did you know that Sisu is the name of a sports drink and suppliments. http://www.sisu.com It's a good name, but because of that, I don't think that it is what you want. Jen

Hey Joel,

I have no idea if it was a Canadian thing. I was beginning to think that it was because you guys have never heard of it.

SISU sponsored a race series, the SISU BC Cup.
http://www.sisu.com/en/life/bccup
I think they were the sponsor from 2002-2005 and there is a new sponsor this year. They had a road series and a mountain bike series.

But I guess if it is just us Canadians who've heard of it, you should absolutely use it. And then become bigger than them.

Jen

Edited by jeng 2006-02-16 11:28 AM
2006-05-21 3:13 PM

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Bringing back an older thread.  Now that I've got my coaching certifiacte and a few clients I want to start moving forward with a web page and stuff.  Here's my latest...

SISU Multisport & Endurance 
~Professional Multisport Coaching for Peak Performance~
Train smarter - Race Faster!!!

Originally I wanted to have "Fitness" in the main title because I'm interested in doing personal training as well just to keep my client base broad but when I really think about it, multisport and endurance coaching is where my passion is.  There's no reason I still can't do some basic fitness training but my primary focus is longer distance multisport and running events so that's what the name will reflect.  Also, I'm a huge supporter of HR training and spending as much time as possible building a solid aerobic base which means training smarter, not necessarily harder.  I think we have a winner. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brainstorming a triathlon coaching business name/website Rss Feed  

of 3