General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Akkk! I'm not ready! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-12 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Akkk! I'm not ready!
I was just sitting here thinking about "pressing my buoy" and how I had hoped to rent a wetsuit for my first triathlon in June, which I believed would take care of that for me (by keeping my legs more buoyant), when I realized.... WHAT AM I GOING TO WEAR FOR THE SWIM? If I wear my swimsuit, which I guess I just thought I would, I can't wear it for the bike/run! Akkk! Does that mean I need to go buy a tri-suit? Sheesh! So much I haven't thought about!

Ok, folks, what else might I be forgetting about? I have a bike to use, so that's not a worry. I've got running shoes, which I'll also wear for the bike portion. I've got a helmet and a running hat, and I've even figured out a way to wear my crazy long thick hair such that it'll fit under the swim cap, as well as the bike helmet and my run hat (a feat in and of itself). Anything else?

Thanks again for being such a great group for advice, motivation and inspiration!

2004-05-12 3:35 PM
in reply to: #24499

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Akkk! I'm not ready!

You ARE ready.  You will be fine.  What do you wear to bike or run now?  Consider wearing those shorts under your rented wetsuit or buy a pair of tri shorts.  Then you can wear whatever top you want.

You have all the equipment, what about gels or food? 

Only other thought, start planning your reward for finishing the tri!

2004-05-12 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I'm not thinking comprehensively, Karen--but the first thought I had was

SUNGLASSES!!

Two reasons. I never really wore them before (I'm a major cheapskate), but I sunburned my eyeballs during a race. It was quite painful. Secondly, they totally help keep bugs and particles from your eyes. Never realized that there would be a side benefit like that!!

Dana

Oh wait. Is this a sprint or an Oly? If it is an Oly, you'll need nutrition on the bike course, and I can't say enough about my Bento Box. It is SO handy to have. http://www.trisports.com/benbakis.html I recommend the large size!!

2004-05-12 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

I'm with Dana in that the first thing that came to my mind was sunglasses.  Also think about hydration and what water bottles etc. you might use. 

Are your goggles UV protected/tinted?  I remember being thankful during my first tri that mine were, as the early morning sun shone directly in my eyes for the first half of the swim.  Do you wear earplugs?  I almost forgot mine once.

I found a race belt to be handy, as I didn't have to agonize about where my race number was going to be pinned

That's all I can think of!

Jen

2004-05-12 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Owen
I don't have anything to add, I think the other postes covered it, but good luck and relax!

Mindy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Akkk! I'm not ready! Rss Feed