General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I think I"m actually going to go through with it! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-15 9:55 PM

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: I think I"m actually going to go through with it!
Well, a friend of mine wanted to do the Chicago Marathon and I thought about doing it too. But truth be told, anytime I've tried to get into running, just running, I got REALLY bored. So then the light bulb went off in my head. I used to swim in high school, and biking is always kinda fun --- put the three together!

Sooooo.... I'm in my first week of training. Not really focusing on anything right now other than just trying to get my muscles used to being moved again. If I keep up with it over the next week, I think I'll sign up for the Chicago Tri in August.

Question, do you think I can go from the couch to a spring triathlon in June / July and THEN be able to do an International length Tri in late August?

I think I've finally found my sport.

2006-02-16 5:14 AM
in reply to: #346940

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: I think I"m actually going to go through with it!

Welcome to triathlon and BT.

A marathon in June or July followed by an Olympic length tri in August is very doable. The training schedule could get a little tricky, but you have a Gold Performance membership so Coach Mike can help you with that.

Good luck!

2006-02-16 4:45 PM

Veteran
chicago
It's definately possible to peak twice in a season, although I would read up on peaking a bit and maybe not taper quite as much for your first race as you would if it were your most important event. The Triathlete's Training Bible is a great source of info. Even if the entire book is more in depth than you want to go for your first race, I would recommend heading to a borders for an hour or so just to skim through and read up on tapering and peaking.
I might as well introduce myself too, I just joined this site a little while ago, and I'm in the second week of a 17week plan to my only race this year, and Olympic distance in early June.
It's good to see another Chicago person around. (crossing my fingers that it's going to stop raining so I can run outside rather than on the treadmill today)
2006-02-19 1:54 AM

User image

Chicago, IL
ugh, am trying to figure out this software with BT. For the most part, it's intuitive, but I jsut realized I posted to another thread, thinking it was this one!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. I'm feeling really good about all this.
2006-02-19 6:20 AM

User image

Elite
Texas

somarye77 - 2006-02-15 9:55 PM  I think I've finally found my sport.

Welcome to the nut house BT! Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I think I"m actually going to go through with it! Rss Feed