General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re: mock tri blues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-12 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: re: mock tri blues

Did a mock tri today on the race course for Saturday. Well, not a whole tri, just the swim and the bike. Now this is supposed to be a nice and easy tri. You know a tri to get me used to the season, my first one and all. All I can say is that if I get through this triathlon I can do anything!

First I get to the building where the swim is inside in a pool. The caretaker showed me around, showed me where the shower was and the locker rooms. Then we went inside the pool area. It was stepping into a sauna. Literally. You could see the steam rise from the pool. Apparently the pool is a theraputic pool where people who need rehabilitation go and well, get rehabilitated. It is extremely hot! How hot! Well, it was 91 FRIGGIN' DEGREES. Yep, you guessed it just shy of body temperature hot. I'm thinking how in the hell am I going to swim 525 yards in 91 Friggin'-degree pool water? Geez. What are these people trying to do, kill me? So I got into the pool and started doing laps. It was so hard to get my breath. I had to pop my head up on each length and breathe fresh air. Oh, my God! It was so hot in that pool. But I go through the swim in about 10 minutes which was a good time. Hopped out, already had my tri shorts and sports bra on and ran to the parking lot to get my bike. I remember thinking, "The bike surely has to be easier than the swim. I mean, it's the bike right?"

Got my bike out of the car, shoes and socks on, handkerchief on my head and butt on seat in 5 minutes. I think I was just so tired from the swim. I usually can swim 1 mile w/o any tiredness but damn, that pool was mighty hot. I had already scouted the course the weekend before so I knew exactly where to go. The bike started out really well. All downhill. It was beautiful. Took me 28 minutes do do the first six miles. It wasn't until I got to my last land mark before the turnaround that I knew I was in trouble. Right there in front of me was BAH - yep, Big Ass Hill. OMIGOD! I shifted into low gear and humped up that hill. It was crazy. I thought I wasn't going to make. All I kept thinking about was this is going to be great on the way back! Wishful thinking.

Did I mention that this tri is in Pueblo, Colorado? Pueblo is like the Kansas of the Rocky Mountains. You might as well not be in Colorado. It's hot, desert like prarie, plains conditions. Which means one thing - a whole lot of WIND! OMIGOD!

There must have been between 30-40-mile an hour winds on my way back. So it made the flat road seem like uphill. So basically the six miles back was like climbing up Pikes Peak because it was high winds, resistance and just plain miserable. Tears streaming, nose dripping, mouth dry from huffing and puffin' I trudge my way back to the bike start. I thought I wasn't going to make it. In my eagerness to quit I turned on the wrong road. Did I mention I'd scouted the course before and knew that Harmony Drive was the wrong but Harmony Lane was right! It didn't matter. So my detour took me into the brush, among the yucca, tumbleweeds, rabbits and snakes (I think I saw one). OMIGOD.

By now I'm not even thinking of doing the run because it's getting dark and well, hey, I'd been through enough. Out of the brush I come and onto the road to get to my right path. Up ahead is Harmony Lane but there's something that stands between me and victory - you guessed it a BAH! So now I'm riding into a 40-mile hour wind right up a BAH. Is there no end to this torture?????

One, two, one, two, slowly I pedal! It's like little kids on big wheels are passing me up. What the hell is going on here. Finally, I get to the top and I see the swim caretaker in her little yellow VW bug. "Hey," she yells, " You forgot your goggles! I'll meet you back up at the swimming pool."

Great I thought another visit to the sauna masquerading as a pool. I look at her forlonly. Please, I silent beg, throw me atop your little Beattle and hurl my ass back to the building. No such luck, she's already turned around headed back up to the pool. One, two, one, two, I trudge up a small hill back to the bike start. I hop off and crawl through the grass landing sloppily on the Beattle. She comes out smiling handing me my only swim cap and my trusty goggles.

"Good luck on Saturday," she screams.

Saturday, I think. OMIGOD. I have to do this again!

Ovetta

2004-05-13 9:00 AM
in reply to: #24622

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Ah the joys of mock triathlons. I did one yesterday and I must admit that it went a lot smoother. The water in the pool I swam in, although only a 12 meter pool, was just right. My bike ride was great, although I rode through a lot of traffic with a lot of stop and go. It was in the mid 20's and no wind to speak of. And the run was just plain wonderful.
2004-05-13 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Good job Ovetta, Now you know what to expect for Saturday. Think positive thoughts. You biked those BAH, I bet there will be a lot that end up walking them especially that last one. You will do great.
2004-05-13 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Ovetta - your ability to make your trial humorous is great!  At least you were in Pueblo - it was snowing in Denver area yesterday! 

And, now you know what to expect for your race, and you are going to kick everyone else's butt!

2004-05-13 11:16 AM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
BAH! Best At Hills. You go girl!!!
Besides, there's more of an adrenaline rush when it's not a mock tri.
You will do great.
2004-05-13 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
England

Great post - I'll swop you my ice cold pool for the hot one!

Something tells me never to do the course beforehand - I'd rather be surprised on the day, than traumatised in advance and then have to go through it again!!!!!

Good luck - you'll destroy those BAH's the second time 

2004-05-13 8:07 PM

Nice job Ovetta -- You are going to kick butt on the BAH!!!!

Good luck on Saturday, we will be waiting to hear.....

2004-05-13 10:49 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
You can so do it!
I mean, really, a 91 degree pool? Shoooot, if you can handle that.....you can handle anything.

Can't wait to hear the race report!

2004-05-14 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Brava, Ovetta!! Just keep thinking about the reasons you're doing this, think about your goals--for you, for your fundraiser--you got this one, baby!!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » re: mock tri blues Rss Feed