General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recovery time between intervals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-18 8:34 AM

Subject: recovery time between intervals

Good morning,

I'm training for my first tri and am most challenged in the water....

There is probably an answer to this somewhere on this wonderful site, but I've not been able to locate it...

How does one determine recovery time between swimming intervals? I'm used to doing heart-rate recoveries for running intervals (hills, 200s, 400s, etc.)....What methods are y'all using?

thanks!
Rhonda

2006-02-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: #348818

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: recovery time between intervals
I'm definitely not the best person to ask as I just kind of make up my own swimming workouts. But, I think recovery time has a lot to do with your abilities and how hard a workout you're looking for when in the pool.

When I do swimming intervals, I don't do it based on recovery time, but rather I will, for example, do 100s on every 2:30. So, I start my stopwatch and swim a 100 at 0, then swim another at 2:30, the next at 5:00, the next at 7:30, and so on. My recovery time is the time between finishing the 100 and waiting for my next go time. My 100 times don't vary much during one workout, so my recovery time is typically always about the same (a little less near the end as my 100 time slows). Then, as your times improve, you can drop that down and do 100s on every 2:15 or so.

You can apply that to any distance, just get an idea as to how long it takes you and how much recovery you feel you should have. I don't think you need any more than 1 to 2 mins recovery time for any of the distances you would be doing intervals with. You'll easily recognize it if you're not giving yourself enough recovery time.

I definitely hope someone a bit more knowledgeable can chime in. But I hope that maybe I at least gave you something to start with. Good Luck!
2006-02-18 4:03 PM

Thanks Lauren - Your words are incredibly helpful!....I'll try the 2:30 per 100 this week and see how it goes - and will add h.r. if I'm feeling that isn't enough time...Because my swimming is weak, it's easy for me to rest MUCH LONGER than is probably advisable!

Rhonda
2006-02-18 5:19 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

This depends on your experience and the distance you are swimming. The rule of thumb is 10" per 100. BUT it also depends on how fast you are swimming. For a moderate swim - 5" might be enough. Today I did 4x400 with 20" rest - but that was enough to swim the set correctly. On other days swimming the same set, I may need 1:00. It just depends. : )

Try to get enough rest that you are recovered but that you still need to work. Experiment and you'll find the right send off.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » recovery time between intervals Rss Feed