General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change in breathing technique - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-24 4:37 AM

Subject: change in breathing technique - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!
After reading numerous posts about breathing on every second stroke and alternating sides for each lap of the pool I decided to have a go. I previously took a breath on every third stroke and alternated sides. Until today I found that I could only swim 600m and then I was completely gone I would have to sit on the side of the pool and wait for my head to stop spinning and get my breath back.

Today I took a breath on every second stroke and smashed through the 600 with out a problem same with the 700m, 800m, and 900m I eventually stopped at 1000 even though I felt like I could push out a couple of hundred more meters.

So in summary changing technique has helped me achieve my first 1000m swim and has given me a huge confidence boost going into my first sprint race on the weekend BRING IT ON!!!!!

2006-02-24 8:32 AM
in reply to: #353550

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: change in breathing technique - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Interesting.  I'm glad the change has worked so well for you.

I primarily breath on every third stroke, but I've recently been playing more with breathing every fourth stroke, especially for endurance sets.  I had discovered that I was still exhaling as I rotated out of the water (less time left for the intake of the breath) and gulping more (less than a full breath) when I only breathe every three.  I find that every fourth breath gives me that extra time to fully empty my lungs, so I get a  lungful of clean air when I do breathe.

2006-02-24 8:34 AM

User image

Elite

Congratulations on the break-through.  One word of caution....knowing how to bilaterally breath is important in triathlon, particularly in open water swimming.  Water chop, splash from other swimmers, sunlight, etc are all issues that might force you to have to breath on the both sides.

I still struggle with bilateral breathing but its something I have to force myself to do.

2006-02-24 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
It's your first tri, so right now it's all about finding what's best, what's going to get you out of the water. But once you get comfortable, try going back to bilateral breathing. Once you get the hang of it, it can really help your swim a lot.
That said, awesome job with the breakthrough! You'll be so ready for your tri this weekend!
2006-02-24 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
MA
I had been doing right-sided breathing, mostly on every 4th strokes ever since I know how to swim freestyle.  The past few months I was practicing bi-lateral breathing, on every 3rd strokes.  I got tired much earlier.  WHen I get tired, I automatically switched back to 4-stroke right-side breathing.  Then I could go on for several hundreds of yeards more.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the mental obstacle of "uh oh... here comes the left-side breathing" and I got stressed out by it.
2006-02-24 12:14 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Hey, congratulations! Keep working at it. In your post you said you were alternating sides with each lenght. Does that mean every 4 the stroke to the right on one length, then every 4th stroke to the left on the next length?

If so, don't worry (ever) about "bilateral breathing". If you are teaching yourself to breath to both sides, but feel more comfortable at a cadence of every 4th stroke, then stick with it as long as you are continuing to make improvements.

If not, try to work in the other side so you are equally practiced by always breathign twards the same side of the pool. THat way you'll get work on both sides, but are not locked in to every 3 strokes for example. WHne you get really comforatable, you'll be able to breath whenever you want or need to.

Edited by AdventureBear 2006-02-24 12:14 PM

2006-02-24 12:29 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
jclsmith - 2006-02-24 3:37 AM

After reading numerous posts about breathing on every second stroke and alternating sides for each lap of the pool I decided to have a go. I previously took a breath on every third stroke and alternated sides. Until today I found that I could only swim 600m and then I was completely gone I would have to sit on the side of the pool and wait for my head to stop spinning and get my breath back.

Today I took a breath on every second stroke and smashed through the 600 with out a problem same with the 700m, 800m, and 900m I eventually stopped at 1000 even though I felt like I could push out a couple of hundred more meters.

So in summary changing technique has helped me achieve my first 1000m swim and has given me a huge confidence boost going into my first sprint race on the weekend BRING IT ON!!!!!

I had a similar experience, initially learning to swim with 3stroke bilateral breathing and having my max distance jump dramatically when I switched to 2stroke breathing. 600m of 3stroke breathing is still beyond me though. One word of advice from my experience, don't get lazy and not alternate sides. You can get out of practice on the off side very quickly if you don't use it regularly.

Edited by Micawber 2006-02-24 12:30 PM
2006-02-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: #353755

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Celeb_ithil - 2006-02-24 10:42 AM I had been doing right-sided breathing, mostly on every 4th strokes ever since I know how to swim freestyle.  The past few months I was practicing bi-lateral breathing, on every 3rd strokes.  I got tired much earlier.  WHen I get tired, I automatically switched back to 4-stroke right-side breathing.  Then I could go on for several hundreds of yeards more.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the mental obstacle of "uh oh... here comes the left-side breathing" and I got stressed out by it.

DK,

Learning how to breath every 3rd (or even every 5th) stroke is a good thing to do as it will improve your swimming in different aspects, although you might not use it at races. In other words, by learning how to breathe every 3rd stroke you'll learn to become more comfortable breathing in both sides and this will help you because: 1st you won’t be only breathing in one side hence you’ll be putting a lot less stress in one of you shoulders. 2nd by breathing ever third stroke you’ll learn to keep your leading hand in front of you allowing you to glide a bit more.  3rd by learning how to hold your breath for a bit longer your breathing rhythm become more efficient, hence when you switch to breathe more often (i.e. ever 2 strokes) you’ll feel that you can suck in more oxygen.

BTW, you don’t have to do your entire workout breathing ever third stroke; you can practice this during warm up and/or cool down (The bulk of my swim is done every 2 strokes per lenght and then I switch to the other side). Finally, for OW it is a great skill to have as it will make navigation a lot easier.
2006-02-24 6:34 PM

I have always being comfortable with breathing on both sides and still am it just seamed that I wasnt getting enough air. As my training progresses I will try incorpaorate a breathing patern similar to 2-2-3-2-2-3... and so on
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change in breathing technique - WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Rss Feed