General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-26 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuit?
I just ordered my first wetsuite and it fits pretty good but I've not been in the water with it yet. Now I'm beging to second guess myself and thinking maybe I should have gotten the sleveless version. I got an Orca S1 for $200 - the cheapest thing I could find. I'm doing the GCT and wetsuits may or may not be allowed...I got it for the bouyancy not to keep me warm as I figure the Gulf waters are sometimes cool but never cold.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice, insight or experiece with sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuits?

~Mike

2006-02-26 11:16 AM
in reply to: #354662

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuit?

It's mostly a comfort choice.  The full will provide moderately more buoyancy and so should be faster.  But some people just find them too "constricting" and prefer a sleeveless.  A sleeveless may be a bit more comfotable in warmer water as well. 

Myself, I'll take all the buoyancy I can find and use a full.

2006-02-26 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
South Jersey

i just go my first Ironman Stealth sleveless wetsuit and it fits good, and i do like it alot...i haven't tried it in the water yet,  but my reason for getting it was just because i didn't like that feeling of being confined in my arms, but a friend just told me its good to have long sleeves because of water temp, and bouyancy...

sometimes it just comes down to preference...good luck with what you decide

2006-02-26 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ

My local tri bike shop guy says the latest studies show that sleevless is a better buy (provided your not gonna get cold in the water).  The little amount of time that you save from a faster full sleeve suit will be more than lost when taking the suit off in T1.

That's just what he said though...

2006-02-26 5:01 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I decided to take the 'comport' and 'prefernce' comments and mailed the suite back this afternonn for a swap for the sleeveless. The sleeveless is 24 cheaper but I think I blew that in shipping.

Thanks for the comments.

~Mike
2006-02-26 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I don't know where you will be racing but if it's any where near cold water as in 60-70 degrees or below, you are making a big mistake by going sleeveless. The suits are designed for swimming they don't inhibit arm movement at all. If you are swimming in moderately warm water and are just using the suit for leg buoyancy, then you are fine with sleeveless. Just my opinion? Just go watch at your average race: vast majority is wearing full sleeve.

2006-02-26 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
A few Simple facts regarding this comparison:

1) ... Per a few studies (which, if anyone requests I dig up can come up with references) indicate that full wetsuits (i.e., sleeved) are faster... but, the real key is that they require less energy with the same effort (a much more important aspect than faster swim times).

2) ... overheating for the average swimmer in a full wetsuit vs. a sleeveless wetsuit is not an issue in situations where the wetsuit is legal for the event. This is why they have this temperature benchmark in the first place.

3) ... the key reason many swimmers prefer sleeveless over full wetsuits has to do with fit. The fit on some wetsuits simply do not match the body type of the individual... as a result, the negative opinions occur regarding the comfort of a full wetsuit. The reality is that if you find a full wetsuit that fits then a full wetsuit is the best choice.

Summary:

The full wetsuit is typically a better choice PROVIDED THAT IT FITS properly. A well fitted wetsuit will be comfortable an allow for the maximum level of efficient swimming.

That being said, I do see value in a sleeveless over a full in one instance... there is a mariginal advantage to sleeveless in a sprint distance triathlon or F1 format... but, for one reason only (and, it's not really a good reason at that)... it's easier to remove. Take that relatively minor issue out of the equation, a full wetsuit is still the best choice.

And, if you want the best option for a sprint distance triathlon... then, buy a Piel full wetsuit. It comes off in zero seconds because of it's double zipper design (but, it does have some comfort limitations). This is what I use for sprint distances race... but, use a two piece DeSoto for IM distances (WITHOUT zipper)... for Oly distances, I use a DeSoto two piece (WITH zipper). IMO, this is the perfect combination.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-02-26 9:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleeveless vs full sleeve wetsuit? Rss Feed