General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to expect from LBS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-27 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: what to expect from LBS

Okay, so I bought a bike...or I thought I did. Over 4 weeks ago I went into a LBS and got fitted-the owner spent a short amount of time with me, and told me what type of bike I needed to buy. I didn't ask alot of questions, and when I got home, realized I should have, and didn't feel comfortable just buying that without more info. Went back in a week later, a different guy spent 45 minutes with me-felt much more comfortable, and ordered the bike (Scott S30) for ~1050 (the shop was going to have a sale, and I got the sale price). It was supposed to be ordered that day-Thursday, and in one week later (the next Wed, or Thurs). They suggested I call back then. So, I did. It wasn't in--and based on my conversation with the owner, I'm pretty sure it hadn't even been ordered, I don't know if they forgot? So, it has since been almost 3 weeks since I placed the ordered, I've called several times, the last time was last Thursday, and they were supposed to call me on Friday and let me know where it was in transit, so I'd know when to expect it. I got no phone call.

So, I'm wondering what to do. Am I being really impatient? What should I expect from them? I just feel like I'm spending that much money, I should be getting better customer service...Can I cancel the order (I did 90 days SAC but haven't signed the final bill)?

Thanks!

2006-02-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: #355780

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: what to expect from LBS
4 weeks is a VERY long time to wait for a bike. You could have ordered something online and gotten it 3 weeks ago. If it were me, I'd call the LBS, cancel the order and let them know that I'm not very happy with the service. Then go to a different LBS or order the same thing online for probably less.
2006-02-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #355794

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Did you put in a deposit?? Usually in the Winter it is less likely that they will place a custom order if the bike is not "sold." But they should have brought that up. We would not order a one bike order unless it was sold, or we got great "terms" on it from the manufacturer.

They may have already ordered a large shipment of bikes from Scott and realized one was in that order that you wanted and are just waiting for the order to arrive. Have you talked with them again?
2006-02-28 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
I feel for ya buddy. There's no way you should have to subject yourself to lousy customer service like that. I think you should find a shop where they recognize you, call you by name, and appreciate your business. If you think it's a hassle to just buy the bike there, imagine how they'll perform when you need some maintenance done! They seem to have communication (or lack thereof) issues. There's really no excuse for them treating you like that.
I believe you're in the right to ask for your money back... and take it somebody who will take care of you as a customer.

Good luck dude.
~B
2006-02-28 10:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-28 2:06 PM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Vote for a new shop, even if they have the bike in and are assembling.

When you buy a bike from a LBS, you are doing more than just purchasing something ... you are starting a long term relationship with them.

From the sounds of it, this is not a place where you are going to be able to walk in, ask questions/get answers, have that one little tweak done on your way out of town, pick up advice, etc.

Expect more from a LBS -- b/c you can always go to a "corporate store" for bad treatment, but a better price.

2006-02-28 7:05 PM

Veteran
Ames IA
I would look for a new shop. This year the tri-club I belong to switched bike shops for our sponsor because allthough the one we were using had a few more brands and there serivce guys were excellent, there customer service was horrible (and this was from the owner no less.) You would think that they would want the bussiness from a club that had no less than 7 people go buy bikes from our new sponsor. The new sponsor even gave us discounts and did work on our bikes when his shop was not our sponsor. Find a better bike shop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to expect from LBS Rss Feed