General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-27 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Subject: Aloha
doooh! Misfired that first attempt to post =newbie!

Hello All,

After jumping off the deep end and into the land of tri's last month, I keep finding new and great info on this site so I figured I'd sign up and say hi. I've been following the periodized training plans from Outside Magazine to one degree or another since '98 but with no real "goal" other than to stay fit for surfing. I've shunned competition for a long time but the idea of completing an Ironman (perhaps Coeur d'Alene '07???) has kindled new motivational fires for training. I hope to downplay my competitive nature in favor of just enjoying working toward a level of fitness that will allow me to complete an IM before the sun sets.

At the end of January, I jumped into the 20 week half IM plan at week 16 as I was already two months into my normal periodized plan. I work on a ship in Baltimore with a 75 day on/off roation and live on O'ahu so have an interesting variety of races to choose from. I'm registered for the Lanikai sprint here on the island in the beginning of April and the NJ Devilman half IM in May. I plan to have a recovery month and then ramp back up for the Odyssey half in Maryland in September. Depending on how its going at that point and how many of these races I miss due to work, I may try to stretch the peak out in order to do the Baltimore Marathon in October. Adding the marathon may be a bit too ambitious for my first season, but it would be a good confidence builder.

I am just into my off work period and so am searching for the balance between the "real" training hours, surfing and Ashtanga yoga. I've never run before and my new tri bike won't ship for a few more weeks so it is interesting learning to find the limits for the runs and get in enough stationary bike hours without injury.

There is a great community on here and I look forward to hearing from anyone with similar goals or doing any of these races. I figure we're all here because we're not all there 8^)

Aloha,
AirWreck

2006-02-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: #355800

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Aloha
Welcome to BT! Sounds like you have a cool job/schedule, unlike many of us crazy folks who are stuck in some sort of 8-5 box .
Since you're just starting to run, take it slow. It's better to take time to build up mileage than to blow a knee. And don't forget to log your workouts/progress to keep you on track. Have fun!
2006-02-27 4:10 PM
in reply to: #355814

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Thanks Watergirl...I was heeding that advice until my first "tempo run" last week. Although everything I have found online indicates this is an unlikely injury, the outside of my right knee ?LCL? is now killing me. I've been resting it since Friday and this week is swim focused so hopefully I'll be able to get in some backed off runs by the end of the week. The run is my anxiety event and uncharted territory so I am keeping my fingers crossed...I'm still trying to figure out good HR paces for my runs. I've been keeping it around 130 but pushed the tempo into 150's.

Hey Shaved Wookie...looks like we're neighbors in Kaneohe. Are you doing Lanikai?

Edited by AirWreck 2006-02-27 4:13 PM
2006-02-27 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

You bet I am! I'm not sure where I'll be as far as finishing time. I've been sick for the past month so I'm afraid I've lost some ground (2 runs, 0 bike, 0 swim this month).

Where do you normally bike/run? What kind of distances are you doing? What kind of pace are you currently doing? With this forced layoff I've been on I'll probably be at about 10mins/mile. We might be able to train together once in a while if I'm not to slow. Wookies aren't known for their speed.

2006-02-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: #356073

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Sounds like if anything, I'd be the slow one on the run. I'm a slave to the HRM and in keeping with the slow and easy rule to get into running, I reckon I'm doing 12-15 minute miles. Not exactly tearing up the pavement, but my goal for Lanikai is just to get a nice intro into tri's and then survive the rest of the season with no serious injury.

My new bike won't get shipped until mid-March and I left the mountain bike in Baltimore so for now I'm just using the stationary over at KMCBH. I started lap swimming over a year ago but just did my first open water down at Kaimana last week. That went well and I hope to do at least one open water per week while I'm home. I'd like to get in the water over in Kailua but with all the run off, it look its going be pretty murky over there for a while. Let me know if you want to meet up for a swim (or run) - its always nice to have a few people in the water to keep the heebie jeebies at bay
2006-02-28 1:52 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Actually... Kailua Beach is nice for a short swim and then a run around the Lanikai Loop. The swim is about 750m (swim outside of swim bouys from boat launch to end of bouys past lifeguard stand) and the run is about 3 miles. I kind of prefer murky water at Kailua because its a little shallow there and if there are swells the up and down can make me a little sea sick as I watch the bottom while I ride the surface but not always. Let me know.

2006-03-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: #356811

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Sounds good. I've got a swim/run brick on Friday if you're keen. Looks like the rain might ease up by the end of the week but the trades may crank back up again. Surprised to see it glassy this morning on the bay. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow...
2006-03-01 12:00 PM
in reply to: #357750

Hawaii
Sorry for being nosey here but have you considered swimming around the Moke's? They're the two small islands you can see from Lanikai beach. It only ends up being about .9 of a mile. The water is pretty good there too, just remember to bring a safety kayak-er. Just a thought... --Lisa
2006-03-01 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Nope, never thought of swimming around the Moke's. I don't have access to a safety kayaker either so maybe that wouldn't be wise in my case. My favorite swim would have to be the down and back at Ala Moana Beach Park. Follow that with a trot around the park and you've got a nice brick of 1.2 mile swim and a 3 mile run.

As far as Fri, I'll finish work at about 2:30 in town. I could probably be in Kailua by 3:15 or 3:30 depending on traffic. Sounds good to me though. Maybe there are some other Hawaii BTers that want to join us? I'll start a thread in the Hawaii section and see if we get any nibbles. I'll also mention this in my blog.   It'd be fun to create a weekly training group for us islanders.

2006-03-01 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
I started a THREAD regarding a possible Hawaii Training Group. Hopefully we'll get some nibbles.
2006-03-01 2:25 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

I hope you realize how much the rest of us hate you.

2006-03-01 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

*pouty lip*

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

2006-03-01 5:12 PM
in reply to: #358121

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Hey Hangloose...don't worry I spend equal time a year in Baltimore so I can relate to the mainland winter blues.

Sounds good Wookie, I'll check out the thread. We might have a better shot with weather in town on Friday - either Kaimana or AlaMo.

A swim around da Mokes would be cool...up until the part about me and my open water heebie jeebies. Baby steps...
2006-03-01 6:50 PM

Regular
Kalaheo, Kauai

Welcome! and glad to hear that others get the heebies too.. I think i've used that exact term to describe open water swimming - especially at dusk.. I like the water to be a little clear, but not too clear otherwise my eyes are darting around and scanning the area for some large fictional eel-esque monster..with the clear intention of eating me. I'm actually glad the tri has people swimming around me (this may change once I actually do one!) b/c I won't have time to think about lurking creatures!

anyway - Welcome and hope to see you at Lanikai!

2006-03-02 8:51 AM

Hawaii
Well, you have to understand what I'm used to... I get all my info on this stuff from my roommate. She's doing the New Zealand Ironman and is truly unstoppable. The great thing is that she is SO motivating. Anyway, I'm usually the safety kayak-er and her and her other "Kailua Master's" swim clubbers are the shark bait...er, I mean swimmers. lol. I'm sure I'll get my share of heebie jeebies when I'm out there sans the kayak. Good luck to you guys on your training.
2006-03-02 10:45 AM
in reply to: #358754

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea
Lisa...Lemme guess - you're Amy's roommate? IMNZed will be nothing if not a gorgeous course in and around Lake Taupo. I'm jealous Hope she has a great time and a kick tail race.

Miko...exactly - clear but not TOO clear. My sea creature is no vague eelie thing...its the tax collector that stalks a Nantucket beach and "I'm tired and want to go home." Fortunately, a couple of other people in the water seems to help as a "security blanket"

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Aloha Rss Feed