General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-16 8:10 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: cycling question
while riding on a trail, is it ok to draft behind another cyclist, or is that bad etiquette? someone did that to me a few weeks ago, and, quite frankly, it annoyed me-he just sucked onto me for miles.

2004-05-16 9:17 PM
in reply to: #25312

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: RE: cycling question
training or racing? USAT has a rule against that. If you were in a race, it may or may not have been against the rules.

"Real" cyclists do alot more of this than triathletes do - they call it "strategy".
2004-05-16 9:52 PM
in reply to: #25319

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
it was in training. while riding in a group of friends, i wouldn't have a problem, however, this man just latched onto me. is there any etiquette involved, or is this simply the norm?
2004-05-16 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Did he say anything or was he just suddenly there? I had some one pop up behind me on the road once. I never heard him coming he we just there. I kinda freaked me out. Ask permission to draft off a stranger at least. let them know you are there. Drafting can be dangerous if you follow to close, or do something suddenly.
2004-05-17 12:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
yeah, for sure. the guy is a wanna-be cyclist but probably doesnt know the first thing about it. He has more than likely heard about drafting and how great it is and thought he would try and show off his supreme cycling knowledge. etiquette (or common sense) plays a major role in cycling. Just because there isnt a rule preventing you from doing something doesnt mean it isnt rude or unsafe. In that situation, he should atleast ask first to let you know he is there, if not start a friendly conversation with you.
Cycling isnt a serious cut throat sport, cyclists talk to other riders all the time in training and even in races. It is just that minority we need to work on.

.::aidan::.
2004-05-17 2:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey trilover:

Communication and safety is key. Typically, this guy should have come up, announced his presence, and asked if you would mind sharing in creating a two person pace line where he is sharing in the pulling duties. In other words, he should have been courteous enough and not sat on your wheel for mile after mile.

You have a couple of options that you could employ if someone does this to you:

1) Pull off to the side and let rider go on his way. Return to your ride and focus on your training objectives.
2) Hammer and drop him, again returning to your training objectives.
3) Announce your slowing to the other rider, let him/her line up next to you and inform him/her of your training objectives and that drafting isn't one of those objectives.

Personally, I like the third option. Give them the message that he/she is interrupting your training program. They should get the hint!

Hope this helps!

The Cyclingmaniac

2004-05-17 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
The person you mention is a "wheel sucker", the worst kind of parasitic cyclist in my opinion. Every once in awhile I get such a twit suck my rear end. It does not bother me much but if it does you, do as the previous poster suggested. The only thing that bothers me about wheel suckers is that after drafting off you for a half hour or they will proceed to speed past you with a smirk. A tire pump in the front wheel à la "Breaking Away!" might be the thing to discourage such cretins but it is always best to smile and wave and say: "Hey, next time, let's each take a turn pulling."
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cycling question Rss Feed