General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which online training program? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-02 10:45 AM

User image

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Which online training program?
Hey guys! Does anyone have any particular feelings about the various online training programs out there? I'm looking for half IM and IM training plans to start in a couple of months time following St Anthony's. I'm going to be working full time if that makes any difference to your suggestions in terms of the time commitment required for the various programs - some look pretty vicious! The beginner triathlete programs on this site look good and are more affordable than some of the others (eg Mark Allen, Multisport.com etc) but if anybody has anything to say (good or bad) about any programs, please speak up! Also, do you think it's important to have the online support (ie gold level of membership here or one of the expensive plans).

Thanks!

Claire

2006-03-02 10:49 AM
in reply to: #358897

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Which online training program?
Gold membership here=best of all worlds for the cheapest amount of money. You get a choice of lots of plans, and you get access to a GREAT coach. 75 bucks for 6 months?  Expensive? Do you know what paying a coach would cost you?  Try it for 6 months for less than the price of running shoes...
2006-03-02 10:59 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Gotta echo the comments above!

But if you want to stay "on the cheap", I think the free plans here are a good start as well.  I used the BT Half-Iron last year very successfully (this year I'm using one of Mike's plans).  You could also check out Gale Benhardt's book which has a few different plans to get started with.  Any IM plan is going to require a fair amount of time committment.

2006-03-02 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
I used the free HIM plan on BT and did very well with only 6 months of training. If it's your first HIM or IM, I suggest using them as a baseline and go from there. That's what I'm doing. Used the HIM last year and am using the IM one this year.

But I'm cheap like that. I searched literally hours trying to find different ones and the BT on is the most robust and "detail" filled of them all.

Did I mention I'm cheap?!
2006-03-02 4:13 PM

User image

Columbus, Ohio
Seems like so far people are in agreement that the BT programs are pretty good - handy with the value that they represent. I had my heart set on doing the Western Oz IM at the end of the year but I'm not sure I'm going to manage the training any more with my job description looking set to change in the coming month or so. I think the half is within reach though - Vineman sounds like fun in wine country!

Cheers for the responses!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which online training program? Rss Feed