General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from New England Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-02 1:51 PM

New England
Subject: Hello from New England
Hey there!

I am new here, and I just started training last night - and I mean just started! I haven't done much of anything for three years, and have packed on the pounds in that time. (Do they have a clydesdale division for ladies?)

Anyway, I joined a training group, and we had our first session in the pool. The coach tells us to do four fifties. I had to ask what that was, and was ready to die after one there and back across the pool. Not to mention, forgot to breathe often enough. I am very pleased that I kept going and didn't drown.

As I was swimming, I wondered how the $%^& I was ever going to swim AND THEN bike AND THEN run. Yikes! I cheered myself up by telling myself that at the very least I'll be warmed up for the bike, which is the part I am most looking foward to. (I do not even want to talk about running - sheesh!)

Despite being a little horrified at what I have gotten myself into, I am really excited to be making positive changes and living a healthier lifestyle.

Bring it on!!!!!

2006-03-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: #359159

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Hello from New England

Welcome to BT Kelli!

There is a womens clydsale division called Athena. 

Don't fret too much about the pool.  Many people get into triathlon having no swim experience, myself included.  Take your time and learn to relax before worrying about speed.  Use your first couple of races as opportunities to learn from other athletes around you. 

Good luck!

2006-03-02 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
hello to you & Welcome! Gotta start somewhere- and yes be proud you kept swimmimg! Do you have a "first tri" goal? Good to have a tri training group..can help you through the "firsts"... You'll find lots of advice & support here as well.Enjoy the journey!
2006-03-02 9:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Great job on taking the first step- that one is the hardest; the rest is a really fun ride!  This site is so amazing and supportive.  Everyone here is really great, has been where you are now, and will soon see that you'll be the inspiration to others. 

I can feel your pain on the swimming part.  I began tri's last year with Danskin Austin.  I joined a training group- i knew how to run, liked to bike but not seriously- my swimming experience was closer to the lazy river.  When we had our first swim practice, I got in the lane- actually got my swim cap on, a big accomplishment i thought since i had never worn one before- and was ready to go. The coach told us to swim the length, 33 meters.  I was so proud of myself for making it to the other end.  I touched the wall, came up with a big gasp and a smile.  My coach told me not to stop and come back- I gave her the dirtiest look my face could make, letting her know that i just finished 33 meters (!), i deserved a rest.  Skip forward to this year and swimming is a strength and a very meditative part of my workout.  Everyone has a story like this.  You'll get there!  Before you know it, your body will go through the water so easily and you'll love it.

Please keep logging on, updating us on your workouts, and tri hard.  You've already done the hardest part, made the commitment to yourself.

2006-03-03 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Maine

Welcome to the site from another New Englander! Keep at it - the swimming will improve quickly with some patience. Try to slow down and relax in the water, and you'll be able to build the distance. Poke around this site for a while and you will see a lot of "when I started swimming I couldn't even go one length without stopping" kinds of stories. Keep at it and you'll amaze yourself.

-Rob

2006-03-03 7:39 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida
Welcome to BT! Good for you for starting a taining program! Swimming is the hardest part for most people. Where are you in New England? I did the Danskin in Webster, MA last summer and it's a great first race for women. The lake is nice and clean, the atmosphere is great with all the ladies and there are lots of spectators. I will say the bike part is hard though - lots of hills! It's at the end of July so you would have plenty of time to get ready for it if you want to make it your goal.

Good luck!!

2006-03-03 8:41 AM
in reply to: #359714

New England
MomX3 - 2006-03-03 7:39 AM

Where are you in New England? I did the Danskin in Webster, MA last summer and it's a great first race for women.

I live north of Boston... My goal is to do the Danskin as my first triathalon this summer. I have heard it is a good one. A few ladies in my group did it last year, and loved it.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. I am glad I found this site and am looking foward to being a part of it

2006-03-03 8:50 AM

Champion

Yay, always glad to see more locals!  We have an informal  email list of a lot of the New England BT-ers.  It's nothing fancy, but we send out the occasional email informing the group of local races, training sessions, get-togethers, etc.  A lot of us are going to meet at the New England Triathlon Expo coming up on March 12th.  If you want to get added to the email list, send me a message at   [email protected]   and I'll put you on the list and send out a message letting everyone else know too!

Welcome to BT!

Max

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from New England Rss Feed