General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex vs Garmin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-02 8:57 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: Timex vs Garmin
What are the main differences between the two.  Does anyone have a timex GPS watch.  I was planning on waiting for the Forerunner 305 to come out.  Just looking for some advice.

2006-03-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #359530

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Timex vs Garmin

I'm not really sure about the Timex but from what I've read the Garmin looks to be extremely versitile especially when used in conjunction with the Motionbased software. I'm getting a 305 next week when they finally become available.

2006-03-03 9:36 AM

User image

, Texas
Unless they changed for the Gen III GPS receivers, Timex uses the GPS to calculate distance and pace and does not store the GPS tracks. The Garmin units will store the GPS tracks, so other software may be used which can map your route and perform other data analysis. I'd also like to give a plug to SportTracks as the absolutely best free software for this kind of stuff.

The Garmin (depending on which model) also has other whiz-bang features such as a Training Partner, Courses (x05 models), opt bike speed/cadence (305), and probably some others I can't think about right now.

I put the Timex in the same category as the footpod type speed/distance monitors such as the Polar, Nike, Suunto, etc. You get how far and how fast, but not the where.

2006-03-03 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I have had the timex for almost 4 years and I find it too be a useful tool. My primary use is to monitor my HR and pace while I am running. I also use it to track distance and for lap counting in the pool. The big drawback to me is the separate GPS device that you have to wear on your arm. The only time that its a drawback is when racing. You can't swim with the GPS unit on your arm so if you want it for the run you have to put it on in transition. I would also add that Timex service/warranty is top notch.

I bought my wife the Garmen 201. It doesn't have a HR monitor which is a huge drawback. The other drawback is the size of the watch. It's just so big it looks goofy and I am not sure how well it would swim. I haven't seen the new Garmin's yet but I know they have added HR functionality and supposedly reduced the size of the watch. I also like that its a one piece unit. The mapping software is not something I need for training but I am sure some like it.

All that said, if my timex got lost I would probably look at the new Garmin. I think the 305 if it ever gets shipped will be priced over $300 and that is at least $100 more than the Timex system. It would probably be worth the $100 if it's a one piece unit that is not too bulky to swim with.

2006-03-03 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I could be wrong but I don't think it would be a good idea to swim with any of the garmin units. I think they are only splash resistant and aren't meant for submersion.

2006-03-03 11:53 AM
in reply to: #359987

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Shaved_Wookie - 2006-03-03 12:10 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think it would be a good idea to swim with any of the garmin units. I think they are only splash resistant and aren't meant for submersion.

Based upon my experience with a Magellian and subsequently looking into the essoteric US Gov't Military standard that is quotes, no GPS unit should not be submerged.  I did a ~5 mile white water kayak down the Chattahoochie in north GA ... and ending up swimming more than I care to admit (can you say: "Wet exit"? ... now say it over and over agin ).

Despite assurances that the GPS unit was waterproof for 1 meter under water for 30 minutes, it was fogged over toast.

The Garmin is the handiest @#$% thing I have ever used. The functionality + how it applies to our triathlon training is absolutely incredible. I am just now starting interval training and have introduced tempo paces to my run + cycling ... the "Advanced Work-Out" feature allows me to enter build a work-out on my computer and down load it into my Garmin*.

Then when I am working out, the Garmin prompts me when one phase ends and another begins -- all the while monitoring my HR and speed to ensure I stay within the zones/rate I had preset.

*Remember, I went to Ole Miss, not Vanderbilt ... if I can do program this thing anyone can!

2006-03-03 12:11 PM

User image

Regular
Near Atlanta

I like my times bodylink... I have the HRM and Im getting the GPS soon.  (the new GPS does track elevation changes from what I read)

I like the way you can use any part of the system or EVERY part of the system...

2006-03-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: #360060

Expert
New Orleans, LA
huengsolo - 2006-03-03 11:53 AM
Shaved_Wookie - 2006-03-03 12:10 PM

Based upon my experience with a Magellian and subsequently looking into the essoteric US Gov't Military standard that is quotes, no GPS unit should not be submerged.  I did a ~5 mile white water kayak down the Chattahoochie in north GA ... and ending up swimming more than I care to admit (can you say: "Wet exit"? ... now say it over and over agin ).

Despite assurances that the GPS unit was waterproof for 1 meter under water for 30 minutes, it was fogged over toast.

The Garmin is the handiest @#$% thing I have ever used. The functionality + how it applies to our triathlon training is absolutely incredible. I am just now starting interval training and have introduced tempo paces to my run + cycling ... the "Advanced Work-Out" feature allows me to enter build a work-out on my computer and down load it into my Garmin*.

Then when I am working out, the Garmin prompts me when one phase ends and another begins -- all the while monitoring my HR and speed to ensure I stay within the zones/rate I had preset.

*Remember, I went to Ole Miss, not Vanderbilt ... if I can do program this thing anyone can!

yeah, i won't use mine (305 to ship 3/9) for swimming, I'll use my regular ol' Polar A5 for that.

2006-03-03 3:04 PM
in reply to: #359973

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Manatee Express - 2006-03-03 11:01 AM I haven't seen the new Garmin's yet

They are pretty

2006-03-03 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
I;ve had the Timex Bodylink with GPS for about 2 years, and love it. The seperate GPS unit isn't a big hassle, but I don't race with it (except running only races). Timex has a great warranty and customer service, as well.
2006-03-03 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
I have the Timex GPS watch. Its been good so far and I like it. Really useful! I think the actual GPS transponder/reciever is waterproof. Never tried putting it in water, but there is a rubber o-ring seal where the battery goes in. Im assuming this is so you can using it while swimming as well.... Just a guess. Ill have to search through the instructions to find out.
That forerunner 305 looks amazing, but it costs twice as much as my timex... I got mine for 90 bucks cdn off ebay brand new!

Edited by jonow6 2006-03-03 6:00 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex vs Garmin Rss Feed