Other Resources My Cup of Joe » When did Hell become Hot? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-07 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: When did Hell become Hot?
On my run last night this kinda hit me.

I'm currently reading Dante's Divine Comedy(most people know it as the Inferno) and when I was in the control room yesterday someone said, "That's got a snowball's chance in Hell". Well, in Dante's Hell, it's cold in the 10th circle, so a snowball would have a great chance there.

The question is: When did Hell get Hot?

Most people think of Hell as hot now. Why?

Note: I'm not asking IF you believe in Hell, just when popular culture created a Hot Hell when Dante's types (late 1200's early 1300's) created it as a cold place. In case you're wondering it's cold because He felt that it was as far away from God's warmth as possible.

2006-03-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: #362994

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: RE: When did Hell become Hot?

I like to say "snowball's chance in Florida".

never read the book.

2006-03-07 9:02 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Why is it called Dante's Inferno?
2006-03-07 9:18 AM

User image

Elite

My two best explanations:

Biblical:  Lakes of fire and all that.

Geological:  Hell is "down" and the core of the Earth is molten.

bts 

2006-03-07 10:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-03-07 10:32 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-03-07 11:51 AM

Los Angeles, California
"On my run last night this kinda hit me. "

This, I am discovering, is my favorite thing about running...when do you get the peace and quiet with your own thoughts to turns things over? I know that's not helpful on your original question, but just taking a moment to appreciate what I like about the sport.
2006-03-07 11:53 AM

Crystal Lake, IL
Medieval illustration of Hell in the Hortus deliciarum manuscript of Herrad of Landsberg <b></b>(about 1180<b></b>)
Enlarge
Medieval illustration of Hell in the Hortus deliciarum manuscript of Herrad of Landsberg (about 1180)
So we can say that images of Hell with flames goes back to around 1180.  I'll look for more.
In The Divine Comedy (Inferno), Cocytus is the ninth and lowest circle of Hell and is frozen by the flapping wings of Lucifer, or Satan. In the Inferno Cocytus is referred to as a frozen lake rather than a river, although it originates from the same source as the other infernal rivers. Dante described it as being the home of traitors and those who committed acts of complex fraud.

Edited by hangloose 2006-03-07 11:58 AM
2006-03-07 12:04 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

I love wikipedia. 

Matthew 25:41 mentions the eternal fire prepared for the Devil and his angels.

Concerning the fire, some scholars speculated that the idea came from the fire consecrated to some Pagan deities like Adramelech, Moloch, etc., to whom children were sacrificed by throwing them into the flames; but other scholars, more recently, speculated that, since Hell is considered an underground place, fire was associated with volcanic eruptions; the idea that volcanoes could be gateways to Hell was present in the mind of the ancient Romans, and later of Icelanders and other European peoples. Some claim that the conditions thought to prevail in Hell are influenced by the generally hot, dry climates found in the cradlelands of Judaism, Christianity and Islam alike; these observers point to the fact that the equivalent of Hell in Norse mythology, known as Niflheim, is pictured as a cold, foggy place (the name itself meaning "home of the fog".

Ok, so I seem to be a little obsessed with the subject, but considering how much time I'll be spending there it's a little like using the internet to check out vacation spots.  If I remember the "going to hell" thread Stake's driving the bus and I'm riding it all the way down like Slim Pickens on the bomb.  Yeeeeeehawwwww!

2006-03-07 12:10 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Awesome referances! I relooked at it and you're right, it doesn't freeze until the ninth circle (central pit or well of Hell) after Dante and Virgil are lowered by the giants. That's where Cocytus, the last river of Hell, freezes. You're right it's all reserved for Traitors. I guess Dante was a man of his word!

I only wish more people valued the "bond" of a handshake and their word...but alas...wishful thinking.
2006-03-07 12:23 PM

Pro
MA
In Oriental legends too.  In Buddist legends, there are 18 levels of hell, the lowest being the most horrible.  Bad people are supposed to be burnt there instead of re-incarnate.

2006-03-07 12:29 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

I looked back over my posts and I want to clarify something.  I don't want to be accused of plagiarism.  99% of those are just cut and pasted from Wikipedia.  I just don't want anyone to be under the false impression that I actually wrote them.  Which is pretty ironic, considering we are discussing the worst level of hell which is for those who engage in fraud!  I may be going but I'm more interested in management of the upper levels.  So far my interviews have gone extremely well.

2006-03-07 12:33 PM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Okay, who has the Thermodynamics joke (I know there's a geek in here who has it) that explains HELL and if it's Endothermic or Exothermic???
2006-03-07 12:42 PM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Okay so I GEEKED OUT and googled to find it......

-----------------------------------

The following is one of Dr. Schalmbaugh's Final Test questions for
May 1997.  (Dr. Schalmbaugh,  University of Oklahoma School of Chemical
Engineering, is  known for asking questions such as this on his
final exams.)

May 1997, Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II Final Exam Question:

"IS HELL EXOTHERMIC OR ENDOTHERMIC?  Support your answer with truth."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law
or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some
mass.  If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass.  So,
at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls
leaving?  I think that  we can safely assume that once a soul gets
to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, lets look
at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of
these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion,
you will go to hell.  Since there are more than one of these religions
and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project
that all people and all souls go to hell.  With birth and death rates
as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase
exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell.  Boyle's Law
states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay
the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay
constant.

Case 1: If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which
souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will
increase until all hell breaks loose.

Case 2: If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of
souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell
freezes over.

So which is it?  If we accept the postulate given to me by Theresa
Banyan during my freshman year, "it will be a cold night in hell
before I sleep with you"  and take into account the fact that I still
have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then case 2
cannot be true.

Thus, hell is exothermic.

The student, Tim Graham, got the only A.

2006-03-07 1:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO

Here's my geeked-out version, but with a happier ending (I must confess though, I didnt' have to Google it as I had it in my inbox):

Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam. The answer by one student was so “profound” that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat)  or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle’s Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First of all we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets into Hell, it will not leave. Therefore no souls are leaving.
As for how many souls are entering Hell, let’s look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.

Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle’s Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1)  If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2) If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. 

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, “it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct ….. leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting “Oh my God.”

This student received the only “A”

Edited by Kupe du Monde 2006-03-07 1:25 PM
2006-03-07 8:34 PM

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

FWIW, parts of Circles 7 & 8 are hot.

2006-03-07 9:15 PM
in reply to: #363015

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Brett - 2006-03-07 10:18 AM

My two best explanations:

Biblical:  Lakes of fire and all that.

Geological:  Hell is "down" and the core of the Earth is molten.

bts 

I agree.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » When did Hell become Hot? Rss Feed