General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Abdominal Rectus Surgery ~ Experience Anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-07 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Subject: Abdominal Rectus Surgery ~ Experience Anyone?

Doc referred me to surgery clinic for 2 possible surgeries.  The one in question is stitching the two abdominal walls back together. 

A friend of mine has had 5 kids, has always had a flat tummy and is a marathon-running aerobics instructor.  She had hers stitched and has been fully recovered for quite some time.

Apparently, if I didn't want to be a fitness yahoo, it wouldn't matter, but the separation has caused the need for the possible need for the other surgery. 

I have always had a flat stomach of which I am rather proud, so this didn't occur to me as a possibility, but you can feel a 3 c.m. separation between the two walls of abs. 

Experience anyone?

2006-03-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: #363028

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: RE: Abdominal Rectus Surgery ~ Experience Anyone?

I, too, have been recommended for this surgery.  I have @ 2-3 cm separation.  I've had three kids (nearly 9 lbs) and I have a short torso, so I was hugely pregnant.

Despite exercise, crunches, etc. my tummy never became flat.  In fact, it sticks out so much somtimes that people think I'm pregnant.  The muscles are strong, but they just gap. Finding clothes that fit is a real problem.

Since I'm not suffering any ill effects (yet), I plan on having the surgery after tri and marathon season.  I'd be curious to hear about recovery time, etc. too.

2006-03-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #363163

User image

Veteran
Rugby, North Dakota
Subject: RE: Abdominal Rectus Surgery ~ Experience Anyone?
tri_again - 2006-03-07 12:44 PM

I, too, have been recommended for this surgery.  I have @ 2-3 cm separation.  I've had three kids (nearly 9 lbs) and I have a short torso, so I was hugely pregnant.

Since I'm not suffering any ill effects (yet), I plan on having the surgery after tri and marathon season.  I'd be curious to hear about recovery time, etc. too.

I just spoke with my friend who had this done, and she said it was stupid.  It was actually done without her knowledge while another surgery was done.  As a trainer, she says that any separation under 2 fingers wide is not a big deal. 

The other surgery I may do though.  That's a minor thing.

My concern about getting fat while I can't run or do really any cardio she also allayed.  She's writing out a lifting regime that should take care of it. 

Good because I think I'm trying to get fat.   

By the way, it might help your tummy.  She and I both are flat so there doesn't seem to be a reason to do it.  It might help with the flatness for you.  I would love to see some other folks post who have experience with this. 

Edited by VikingMom 2006-03-07 3:46 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Abdominal Rectus Surgery ~ Experience Anyone? Rss Feed