General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Marathon Recovery Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-07 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Subject: Post Marathon Recovery Question
I just did my first marathon Sunday.....I was pretty sore the day of, and the day after but feeling much better today. Question is how soon before we can resume some form of training. I am thinking only swimming next couple of days, maybe a ride late in the week. I am getting strongly cautioned by some exprienced long distance athletes to stay off my feet, and not underestimate the amount of damage I did. Looking for data point/points of view. Frank

2006-03-07 8:25 PM
in reply to: #363653

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Post Marathon Recovery Question
First of all congratulations on your first marathon - that is a great accomplishement!!!!

My advice....go get a massage, you earned it! I would do some streching first of all....it will help those muscles. I wouldn't jump into too much for the first two weeks. Easy swim, casual riding - no hills.... Then start back on the running slowly. You will be the best judge, by how your body and muscles feel and respond....giving yourself a little recovery time is definately not a bad idea....

So have you gone up or down many stairs since the marathon.....?? The stairs are what always kill me....

Great Job!!!

2006-03-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #363710

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Tri-It - 2006-03-07 6:25 PM

First of all congratulations on your first marathon - that is a great accomplishement!!!!

So have you gone up or down many stairs since the marathon.....?? The stairs are what always kill me....

Great Job!!!

Thanks...yes, the day of the race and the day after, the stairs were killing me. Today was much better, starting to forget about it....
2006-03-08 6:59 AM
in reply to: #363736

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
http://www.halhigdon.com/postmarathon/zeroweek0.html

Great program to follow to give your body time to recover. This is what I did after mine last Fall. Then I PR'ed twice in 5k's at the end of that time period.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Marathon Recovery Question Rss Feed