General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri on Saturday!! - Taper question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-09 3:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: First tri on Saturday!! - Taper question
Hey there everyone

I have my first Tri EVER on Saturday! I'm super excited - anyone have any good advice for a first-timer? EEK! I can't believe it's here!!!!!!

My question is this: I've been sick on and off for the past 2 weeks - combine that with an overbearing work schedule and I havent dont any training for over a week. No taper, just a dead stop. Will I be ok? Should I try to get one in on Thursday? Or is that too soon?? Feeling worried and excited all at once..

Thanks everyone. I also just wanted to say thanks for your answers to all my other questions - it's nice to have big tri brothers and sisters to help out when you're totally lost. I appreciate it a lot.

Megz

2006-03-09 4:34 AM
in reply to: #364831

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: First tri on Saturday!! - Taper question
What kind of training plan have you been on? Is the race a sprint? Can you do all of the distances independantly? I would definately do "something" on Thursday, followed by not much on Friday.

My first tri of the season is also this Saturday. I am going to the pool this morning (Thursday)
for an easy swim. A bit shorter and a bit less intense than normal. I will get on my bike later today (outside) to make sure everything is in working order (it's been on the trainer for a month)...I might go 8 miles or so. That's gonna be it for me...Friday I will relax, hydrate, eat well and try and get some good sleep (Thursday night and Friday night).

Oh yeah, also on Thurs or Friday go over your checklist and practice transitions. Practice getting on and off your bike. And make sure you know how to get to the race site...leave early on Saturday so you can be there early to set-up your trans. spot, and to enjoy the scenery.

Good luck, relax, and let us know how it goes.
2006-03-09 8:23 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Not really training related, but important nonetheless. Make sure you get a good night's sleep tonight! If you're like I was when I did my first, I couldn't sleep much the night before. Brain was on overload, mentally going through T1 and T2 all night. So having a good night's sleep 2 nights before is important.
2006-03-09 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

I would not do anything hard, but a short, easy workout just to loosen and refresh your system might be helpful.  Perhaps a 15-20 minute jog and/or 15-20 minutes of easy spinning on the bike.

Also, don't forget to look in the proper Training and Racing forum for your state and create/respond to the post about your race this weekend.  It's great to find out which other BTers will be there and then introduce yourself at the race.  It will give you someone to talk to before the race and can really help calm your nerves.  It's also a real pick-me-up to hear someone cheering for your on the course or when you're exiting the swim, and we BTers are known for that sort of friendly harassment. 

2006-03-09 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Nothing you do now can improve your fitness for the race.  That being said, a short bike and run would help to loosen upi your legs, just make sure to keep it slow and easy.  Trust your training.  You've done all the hard work, now it's time to go out and have some fun.

Good Luck

Chris

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri on Saturday!! - Taper question Rss Feed