General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running technique developments... interesting article Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-09 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Subject: running technique developments... interesting article
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/bodyandhealth/story.html?id...

I was reading the sports section of the National Post today and saw this article. Here is the link to it on their webpage. I found it quite interesting and a little in contrast to what ive read elsewhere. I actually started running this way, but changed my technique by adopting a more vertically aligned posture after reading up on running posture. Now im kinda wondering about both...
What are your thoughts?

Edited by jonow6 2006-03-09 5:59 PM

2006-03-09 7:01 PM
in reply to: #365748

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: running technique developments... interesting article
Search the forum for Chi running and you'll get lots of info. It works for me.
2006-03-09 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
I just tried it tonight... sure works out the calf muscles. Did you find you had to build up your calves for it? Or maybe im just doing it wrong, but I dont think so. My pace sped up by about half a minute per mile with the same amount of effort and a lighter foot strike. Again, at the end of the workout my calves were pretty worn out and tired.
2006-03-09 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Montana
I studied evolution running, and my calves were sore at first.  It took about a week or ten days to get used to it.  The running stye is so much easier on the knees, back, feet and faster too.  I have looked at chi and there are similatities.  Good luck.
2006-03-10 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Hmmmm yeah looks like the evolution running technique. I think I may try it for a while. I felt really good after the run and it did feel a lot easier on my back and knees. Plus it just means I have another muscle group in my legs I get to focus on
2006-03-10 8:48 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I think it's funny that the title says "new development in running technique", but in the article, they say "these ideas have been around for millions of years" !

The two additions by the canadians sound like what Dreyer writes about in his book, so I'm not sure how they get to take credit for them.

In any case, I'm a terrible runner, so don't listen to me...but I've enjoyed Chi Running, and while I'm not drinkign the Chi (or POSE or Evolution) kool-aid yet, I am definately headed that way.

2006-03-10 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: hurtin' calves!
I totally agree with the comment that the calves hurt like crazy when you begin a transformation to being a forefood striker, as compared to a heel striker.
i was sore for a couple weeks, but all the other aches and pains associated with running went away for me. i feel like i run farther, and with more efficiency since adopting some of the POSE type techniques.
you are not alone with the sore calves. stick with it and you will probably be happy you did.

good luck!
~B
2006-03-10 12:38 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Yup nothing new here. If you go back and look at pictures for elite marathoners from 50 years till today you'll notice how good running FORM hasn't change that much. (Some run straight and pride at 90 degrees angle in relation with the ground and some others run a bit lean forward at 90+ degree angle.) Some people insist in naming it in some catchy way and say this is THE new technique. You can improve your running a lot by focusing on good form without risking injury by radically changing your natural strike. If you don't trust me do a Google search for Kenyan elite runners pictures (considered among the most efficient runners) and tell me how many forefoot strikers you find… You should try focus on what works for you and what feels more natural and/or efficent.
2006-03-10 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I've always been skeptical about the claims of the "new" running techniques -- seems like a good way to sell instructional books and videos (and if there's one thing triathletes like, it's instructional books and videos). However, I've never tried them, so I'll withhold judgement and wish the best of luck to those who try them (as long as they're not in my age group).

The best running form advice I've ever gotten was from Jeff Galloway -- "CHIPS" -- Chest high, HIPS forward. It's a simple key that encourages an upright body posture and more efficient style.
2006-03-10 4:24 PM
in reply to: #366574

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
kenail - 2006-03-10 2:27 PM

The best running form advice I've ever gotten was from Jeff Galloway -- "CHIPS" -- Chest high, HIPS forward. It's a simple key that encourages an upright body posture and more efficient style.

Same thing the Dreyer teaches. Different catchy names. It's what's made Terry Laughlin so succesfful. I'm not knocking any of these people, they are successfully reaching out to millions (?) who want to run better (swim better) with fewer injuries (swallowing less water...)
2006-03-10 5:47 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Chi running turned me into a runner. Then again, I had NO technique going into it. I suppose when you're starting from NOTHING than ANYTHING is better than what you're doing currently (IE, me.). I went from running 14+ minute miles to doing about an 8:30 mile now (which I have NEVER done before). It is exciting to see how EASY it can be if you just change one or two things. I never thought that it was the WAY I was running that made me hate it, I thought that running just sucked and people who enjoyed it must be pure insane...ya know, if it hurts its good, type? I don't buy into the whole "chi" side of all of it, and I've even done tai chi, I think the technique itself and the looseners he gives in the book are good, but the mental stuff...meh, i'm better off with my CD player and my Bane.

2006-03-10 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Well whether it is a new technique or not doesnt really matter to me. I just want something that is efficient and will reduce chance of injury. From what ive read in general, heel striking has the potential to put a lot of stress on the knees and back. It just seems that this "evolution" running (or whatever you would like to call it) reduces that and moves the strike point closer to the ball of the foot. In my guestimation, I would think that the more natural way to run would be the way you are less prone to injuring yourself....
2006-03-10 6:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I think the message you're getting from everyone here is that we've all tried some version of this...and it has worked for us! Go for it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running technique developments... interesting article Rss Feed