General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Follow BT training plan or make it up? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-14 3:31 PM

Los Angeles, California
Subject: Follow BT training plan or make it up?
Hello all!
So I'm doing my first short Tri in June. It's" 1/2 mi swim, 6 mi bike, 2.5 mile jog."
I'm in pretty good shape, I think the main thing I need to focus on is the swimming (stamina + technique) and being able to follow up one sport with another without getting too tired.
Question is: with a hectic schedule and desire in throw in other forms of exercise: yoga, dance, walking w/ schedule permitting, I went from following one of the training programs to doing my own. I think I'm doing a good balance on my own, and also thinking my race though challenging will not be way beyond my current abilities.
Would it be better to follow a training plan? Any suggestions from the ones provided on this site.
Feel free to check out my current log and give pointers/suggestions. I think I'm on track, but also know that June is approaching and want to be in the best shape possible w/o pushing myself too hard past what's healthy, etc.
thanks!

Edited by mcarla 2006-03-14 3:36 PM

2006-03-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: #369449

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Follow BT training plan or make it up?

After looking at your logs, I'd recommend using a training plan. Your balance of the 3 sports could be a lot better. Since the beginning of Feb. you've only had 2 weeks where you did all 3 and your jump of 1 hour cycling one week to 3 hours the next after doing very little is an invitation to injury. If you graph your volume by week you'll see what I mean.

One of the 16 or 20 week minutes only sprint plans would serve you well. The 2x per week would be plenty to get you to the start line, or one of the sport focussed plans would work as well. They also incorporate measured increases in volume with some recovery weeks to help reduce the risk of injury and get your best performance on race day.

2006-03-14 4:28 PM
in reply to: #369468

Los Angeles, California
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the plans further. I had started with one but was getting bored/felt like it wasn't challenging enough - trying to balance out the fact that I haven't really trained before (=should start slow/build up) and the fact that I'm a trained dancer = used to/more gungho when my workouts are more challenging. Looks like I just need to pick a different plan. Excellent point that I wasn't getting a good balance of all 3.
Thanks again, and any other suggestions from folks are very welcome here.
2006-03-14 4:37 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Definitely follow a plan.  There's so many out there- if you're getting bored with one just give it time.  Both the time and intensities of your trianing will increase with time.  You can't start out too hard or you'll get injured.  It's important to start slow to build a decent base.  And...it's easier to successfullly train when you have a plan to follow and know what you should be doing each week.  It'll teach you discipline and how to balance   I have found that it's easier to slack when you don't have anything concrete.
2006-03-14 5:32 PM

Los Angeles, California
Okay - thanks for the advice! I'm all set to start on the 13 week orig. sprint plan - it looks like it will help me get on track, pace myself but also challenge me. I am thinking adding on other non-tri stuff like yoga/dance in moderation is okay, or is this overkill? If I want the other activities, should I cut back on the tri minutes. Does anyone have experience with this?
thanks!
2006-03-14 6:10 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I will say this, the plans on BT are great.  But I have never followed them myself.  I have a very difficult and varing schedule week to week, so setting up my own schedule was just better.  I felt like if i didn't do what was on the planned schedule i was a loser or falling behind.  Just make sure you get each activity in twice a week, try to get the swim in 3x a week because it is your weakest.

2006-03-14 7:02 PM
in reply to: #369608

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
To answer the question, I make it up. There are lots of good reasons to follow the plans but, like parrj, my schedule is too unpredictable.
2006-03-15 6:29 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Good choice ...follow a plan.

My first year I did my own thing which often meant I didn't do much or it wasn't balanced.

Last year I have a plan and I followed it closely. Sometimes I moved days around to adjust to my children (I have 5) schedule.

Now this year I have my schedule made up around my life and what days are good for things.

Guess what I improved a lot more with consistent training and you will too. If swimming is the hardest for you...maybe try to get in 3 swims a week...it makes a huge difference..it is the sport you can lose your skills the most quickly.

Congrats on starting this journey!

2006-03-15 12:48 PM

Los Angeles, California
Thanks Kathy for your response.
I'll give it some thought as far as 3 swims. It makes the most sense and yet since I'm not as good at it, it's harder to motivate myself to just get it in twice (which is pretty silly, b/c once I'm in the water it's hard to get me out! but just putting on the suit takes mucho motivation). I'm going to work on making sure I get my 2 x /week for now, and then try and work up to that. Great advice, though. Thanks!
2006-03-15 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm using a plan that is based on something I found here on BT, but modified slightly to accomodate my own needs and goals. For the next few months, until the family schedules are properly aligned (all the kids in the same school, with the same schedule), I will be missing some of the training. Basically, I have "pencilled in" the training slots knowing the time is not available until July. From now till then, the only times I have are my run times and bike times. Come July, I'll be able to add swimming and core/strength, and hopefully my fitness level will be high enough that I will get the swimming up to par quickly. In the meantime, I am visualizing the swimming parts!
2006-03-15 1:08 PM

Expert
Salisbury
I basically took the 20 week plan and copied all the starting numbers into an excel spread sheet. Then moved them around a bit to fit my schedule and went from there. So far (I just started) it's really motivating because I know what I'm doing next and don't have to think about it. I just do it! <

2006-03-15 1:19 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

If you haven't done tri stuff, follow a plan. It will make sure you get in a balance of the sports, while preventing overtraining and ensure you can finish the event. If I didn't have a plan I would've been a HUGE nervous wreck last year before my first tri. But, I followed a plan (well, for the most part) and went to the starting line confident I could finish.

If you are wanting to spice up the minutes, throw in some intervals to increase your intensities. I just bought a silver membership here so that I would have access to the detailed workouts to hopefully get more out of my workouts.

Yoga will be good for you to continue by keeping your muscles and mind stretched and relaxed. I'm sure throwing dance in now and then will be good (and keep you happy, most importantly) if you are looking at a 2x plan.

Good luck, and have FUN! 

2006-03-15 2:10 PM

User image

Master

I follow a plan too, I think you would gain a lot from one of the swim focused sprint plans.

As for adding in some Yoga or weight training... I see no problem with it. Most people here do that.

Good luck!

2006-03-15 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

I think the plans are great, but may not be best for you and definitely aren't necessary. If your schedule is too unpredictable, it may not be reasonable, and your access to a pool and good weather/trainer for biking may be relevant. ALso, you may or may not be someone who likes to have a schedule set ahead of time vs choosing a workout based on your mood, conditions, etc.

But, it is important to get more 'regular' on all three sports. I'd make that the priority. If having a plan helps you with that, then it's probably a good idea. Or you can just use the planned training to lay out some plans of your own.

I think when you're getting started it's more important to just get used to it and get into the habit of doing some sport most every day. That's what I did, at least. Now, with longer distance races, I am using a training program, which is great since I don't have to think so much about when I do long runs, bikes, adding in interval training, etc, etc.

Good luck! 

2006-03-15 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

I just started with a plan (two weeks ago).  I trained all last year  without one. 

Following a plan is really making a difference already.  Probably the biggest benefit is that I don't have the mental anguish of second guessing myself (did I do enough today?, too much?)

Marmadaddy is on point when he mentions balance.  Plans are usually well thought out by experienced coaches and jocks.  To fail to plan is to plan to fail...... 

2006-03-16 12:13 PM

Los Angeles, California
"ALso, you may or may not be someone who likes to have a schedule set ahead of time vs choosing a workout based on your mood, conditions, etc."

All excellent advice, thanks everyone!
I'm definitely someone who prefers to go with my mood and base my workout on how I'm feeling that day v. having a set plan.
That being said, I'm going to try to follow a plan, because following my mood is meaning too much inbalance in my training. So far so good (knock on wood), but definitely not wanting to invite injuries, and also wanting to be well-prepared in all 3 for race day.
thanks again for all of the advice everyone!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Follow BT training plan or make it up? Rss Feed