General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perpetum or sustained energy??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-21 5:21 AM

Subject: Perpetum or sustained energy???
Can someone give me some guidance on these 2 products? I would like to start using one or both but Im not sure about what each is, how theyre different, can they be used together...etc.etc... All I know is that I NEEEEED something for the next halfIM coming up in June so I don't crash and burn like I did on the last one.

Jacob

2004-05-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: #26263

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: Perpetum or sustained energy???
I don't know anything about Sustained Energy but I've been using Perpetuem and I love it. The reason I chose it was for the small amount of protein it has in it and the effect that has on muscle repair and maintainance. I've used it on a couple long brick and swim workouts and I can definitely feel the difference in my endurance with it and also in how good I feel after the workout. Hope this helps.
2004-05-21 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Jacob,

In a nutshell, the Perpetuem was designed for the lower intensity, longer distances, while the Sustained Energy was designed for the higher intensity, shorter distances.

Below is an outline I had on file regarding the (2) products and their applications. You may also want to have a look at my race reports from Ironman Florida and the White Lake 1/2 IM as they outline some other nutritional ideas for race day.

If you have any questions about anything in this post, please drop me an e-mail.

Brian Shea
www.PersonalBestNutrition.com

Sustained Energy/Perpetuem Nutritional Facts

• Sustained Energy – A neutral flavored fuel that contains 87% carbohydrates (no added simple sugars of course), and 12+% soy protein, the combination of which is ideal when rate of exercise is between 70-85% MHR… a "sustained" effort in events lasting 3-12 hours.

• Perpetuem – Contains 75% carbohydrates (no added simple sugars of course), 13% fatty acids from a specially made long-chain lyso-lecithin, and nearly 10% soy protein. It was designed primarily for the extreme endurance athlete doing events that last from 6 hours to 6 days or longer. Perpetuem digests very slowly and thus provides maximal benefits at an aerobic pace (under 70% MHR)

Primary differences between Sustained Energy and Perpetuem

A.) Sustained Energy is a neutrally flavored drink whereas Perpetuem has an orange-vanilla "Dreamsicle" flavor.

B.) Perpetuem contains a specific amount of a specific lyso-lecithin fat whereas Sustained Energy does not. The primary benefit for including this fat is for longer distance workouts and races, when the pace is more aerobic. When the body receives a small portion of fat it “gives a signal to the body” that it’s “OK” to release its stores of fatty acids more liberally. Considering that fatty acids fulfill up to 70% of one's energy requirements in long bouts of exercise getting the body to access and utilize them more liberally is definitely a bonus. A little bit of fat also tends to make the one feel more calorically "satisfied" (fat slows the rate of digestion slightly), which is attractive when doing long distance/primarily aerobic bouts of exercise.

C.) Perpetuem contains sodium tribasic phosphate, which, among its other benefits, is a tremendous lactic acid buffer. Sustained Energy does not contain this nutrient.

D.) Perpetuem contains a newer strain of soy protein called "XT," which, along with the sodium contained in the sodium tribasic phosphate component, provides a more complete mineral profile. The mineral content in a 2-scoop serving Perpetuem may (key word “may”) allow the athlete to cut back on their Endurolytes dose by 1 capsule an hour). Also, the “XT” soy protein contains a higher isoflavone content. Isoflavones, which are naturally occurring phyto-chemicals in soy protein, are believed to have superb cardiovascular health benefits. Sustained Energy does have soy protein in it and its isoflavone content is excellent, but the strain used in Perpetuem has an even higher isoflavone content.
2004-05-22 3:41 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the great enlightenment!! I would have never imagined that nutrition DURING the race was that important. Unfortunately for my I learned the hardway heres my version of the White Lake 1/2 http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
what is your target caloric intake for an olympic and a 1/2 IM??
I think I will be hittin' up your website soon for some cytomax and perpetuem.

Jacob
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Perpetum or sustained energy??? Rss Feed