General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time what to wear question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-15 10:03 PM

Subject: First time what to wear question...
I have gone through 35 pages of posts, didn't see my answers, so here you all go:

My first tri is a pool swim, I would be comfortable swimming in a tri brief, but would I be better off pulling on a shirt and biking and running in that ensemble, or for the sprint race, would i be happier with tri shorts and singlet, and swimming in that before heading out to the bike? Does anyone really care what anyone else wears? is it all about funtionality?

Thanks...lots of good stuff in the past 35 pages.

2006-03-15 10:14 PM
in reply to: #370895

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: First time what to wear question...
Wear what you feel comfortable wearing....

If it is a USAT race... a top is now required for the bike and run... but, the RD may choose to ignore this rule (you might ask).

Tri-brief for swim works fine... the problem with putting on a shirt after the swim is that it is usually difficult to get on a wet body (specially if you wear a cotton shirt - I would avoid cotton). A singlet is easier to get on but it is still a bit of nuisance to get on...

It's ALL about functionality IMO... No one will really care what your wear... but, testing out your choice before the race is the best approach to find out what is functional for you... this is specially true if you plan to wear a speedo on the bike.

Good Luck on your race.

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2006-03-15 10:16 PM
2006-03-15 10:35 PM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
No one else really cares what you are wearing. You want to wear the most comfortable, most efficient clothing for you. Probably the most common thing you will find is tri shorts and a tri shirt or a trisuit (this elevates having to mess with clothing in the transition area). Next would probably be tri shorts with a singlet. Many men don't wear shirts (see link below). You could swim in a tri brief and the put a singlet on if that is what you are most comfortable with. Practice in whatever your going to wear a few times to get yourself comfortable and to make sure you can swim and transition into the bike easily. After your first tri you will have a better idea of what will work for you.

http://www.usatriathlon.com/News_Info/news_archives_frames.htm

2006-03-15 11:14 PM

Veteran
Michigan
I read all the posts last summer about the difficulty of putting on a shirt over a wet suit - and I went ahead and attempted it anyhow.  What a mistake!  I think I spent 5+ minutes in T1 fighting with a shirt until someone took pity on me and helped me.  And I did my second race with my shorts on backwards.  DOH!  This year I will have "real" tri clothes - and I will practice my transitions with my tri gear before the race.  So wear what you are comfortable in - but test it out first! 
2006-03-15 11:23 PM
in reply to: #370919

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
"...shirt over a wet suit ..." ??????????

Did I read that right? As, in neoprene wetsuit...

Joe

OK... I did a double take... you mean a wet swim suit... I hope... if not... then... yes, I can undestand the "pity" part of post...

Edited by Joe M 2006-03-15 11:28 PM
2006-03-16 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
You don't want to waste time (especially in a sprint) on putting clothes on. Spend your time putting on a race belt and socks/shoes.

What you wear in the water should carry you through the bike and run as well. It's the easiest.

Best of luck!

2006-03-16 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Either tri briefs or tri bike shorts would be the best.  If you swim in a singlet make sure it is tight fitting to reduce drag, oh and that it is dry fit...cotton would be bad, bad, bad. 

I was worried about my mid section showing during a local olympic race and not having pockets for the bike so I decided to put on a bike shirt during T1.  BIG mistack, the shirt got partically wet, stuck to my shoulders, the back was rolled up and I couldn't pull it down.  I had to take off the shirt dry off then put the shirt on again.  It was very frustrating.

What ever you decide to wear practice, practice, practice with it before race day. 

Have you ever biked in tri briefs?  It might cause chaffing that you aren't use to.

2006-03-16 11:16 AM
in reply to: #371230

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
KSH - 2006-03-16 9:00 AM

You don't want to waste time (especially in a sprint) on putting clothes on. Spend your time putting on a race belt and socks/shoes.

What you wear in the water should carry you through the bike and run as well. It's the easiest.

Best of luck!

The race belt is a great idea too. You don't want to be trying to pin on a bib number in T1. Handle sharp objects when you have the time to do it right. Then, during the race, you can just buckle the belt and go.
2006-03-16 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
In a sprint tri, especially your first, keep it simple and keep it comfortable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time what to wear question... Rss Feed