General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run 20 miles, or sit out Boston till next year Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-16 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Run 20 miles, or sit out Boston till next year

My challenge for the month is to survive the Eastern States 20-miler.  I've never run that far before, ever.  Max distance is 13.1 from three half-marathons I've done...the first was hard, second was OK, and third (in early Feb and southern Cal) was easy. 

Now with just 10 days left before the race, should I go for 2 more longer runs and try to get up into the mid teen's for mileage.  I have just one long run planned for Saturday (the day after tomorrow *gulp*) and lots of fear building up that I may not be ready for the race from Maine to Mass.  Eeep! 

Any sage advice on how to rest, train, and prepare for this new milestone???

TIA, -Sunny

2006-03-16 4:26 PM
in reply to: #371717

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Run 20 miles, or sit out Boston till next year
I would add one run and increase by 15-20 mins...just for the mental aspect. I would run it today though, cause next week should be easy taper.
2006-03-16 4:30 PM
in reply to: #371720

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I like the "add time" suggestion for mental comfort -- after the CA 1/2-mary in Feb I thought "I could run another hour if I needed to" but I've not proven that to myself yet...

As for the pre-race taper, should I still do that even if I never really built up the mileage as I'd planned?  I think my highest mileage week was still less than 20 when it should've been up towards 30.  What do you think about a taper even without much base?

2006-03-16 4:41 PM

User image

over a barrier
Thats a tough call without the base. You might run the risk of having tired legs during the race if you try and squeeze in a much of long runs....you want to be fresh with plenty of pep in the step.

If this were me. I'd for a about 2.25 hours today/tomorrow (ice bath when done to spend recovery) and then maybe like for 1.25 hrs onsunday/monday, 45 mins on Wed and call it a day....

That's me....good luck. I think you'll have your answer after your next long run, you may feel great or not so much.
2006-03-16 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Thanks again -- your plan sounds about like what I had in mind.  I will give the Saturday long run followed by ice bath a try and will carry on with cross-training and tapering as you suggested. 

I just need to get my head in the game, feet on the road.  A very long road.

2006-03-16 5:56 PM

hey sunny, didnt realize you were on this board. you can do it!!! good luck!!

2006-03-16 9:21 PM
in reply to: #371797

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Hey thanks JW, or I guess it's actually Jeff!

It's funny to run across another WWMS person here before we actually get to train together.  But that's cool, and I appreciate the encouragement even if you've never seen me run.  LOL

I'm hitting the roads or the t-mill tomorrow AM...hope you have a great Friday, and hope that I'll survive the 20-mile coming up.  

Cheers, -Sunny 

2006-03-17 7:11 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

With 10 days remaining before a long 20 miler, I wouldn’t add more than one long run (if any) as more will  only produce you more fatigue and you won't have enough time to recover. Maybe you can run a long run this weekend between 13-16 miles and maybe adding a couple of walk breaks. Next week you can mix recovery days with short frequent runs. During the 20 miler take it easy, take walk breaks and hydrate every now and then. After the race stretch lightly and eat right away to begin the recovery process. It would be better to build up slowly but your time before the Boston Mary is limited. Be smart and make a judgment call base on how your body feels and remember that you don't need to run the whole 20 miler because your ultimate goal is Boston…

2006-03-17 7:30 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Even though the distances you are talking are beyond me, it seems to me that even though you think your base is small your level of preparedness is related to your approach to the race.  If you were hoping to "race" then yes, you are not prepared.  But you said you want to survive it.  Seems to me that with a sensible run/walk strategy you will be prepared enough.  As mentioned above, just don't turn the race into something that harms you long-term.
2006-03-17 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

You know, this is all really good advice...I keep forgetting that running a race doesn't have to mean running every minute of it.  I've felt like such a loser for walking during 10Ks in the past and took the "all-run" abilities I've gained as a merit badge.  But really, it should NOT exempt me from walking a little.  Walking is OK, even necessary, in some longer races.  And if I choose to walk some short sections of the 20-miler then that should probably just be an indicator that I'll need to walk some of the Boston course as well. 

Is there really no shame in walking...yes, if it avoids injury or makes the race more enjoyable while still being a satisfying challenge. 

I need to convince myself that walking some is OK, and soon!

Thanks, everyone.  I needed to hear that. 

Cheers, -Sunny

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run 20 miles, or sit out Boston till next year Rss Feed