General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TYR Swim mask goggles Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-25 12:57 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: TYR Swim mask goggles Questions
I'm looking at getting one of the TYR swimmask goggles (http://www.trisports.com/tyrgoggles.html). I tried on the TYR Hydrovision swim mask on at the local running/tri store and liked how they feel. They also have another version, the TYR SwimMask that they didn't have in stock. I have a few questions for those that use either of these swimmask googles:
1) Do really you like them better then the individual eye goggles?

2) Lens, they have blue tint, clear and smoke. For open water swimming that is not the clearest and with a lot of sun, what color would be better, smoke or blue?

Thanks,
Don

2004-05-25 1:08 PM
in reply to: #27132

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: TYR Swim mask goggles Questions
I've been using an Aquasphere mask (clear) and I must say I absolutely love it. however, I don't know if that is because the mask is clear (the visibility is amazing - I highly suggest clear). The other nice thing about the mask is that it doesn't leave google marks behing and suction is good. I am going to try swimming with my husbands clear googles this weekend to see which I prefer.
2004-05-25 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Don,
The one thing I have loved about my mask as opposed to my goggles is the range of visibility. I, too, have the Aquasphere type mask. It's the brand I found at my local swim store, so I am not "attached" to the brand as much as the mask. The only real drawback I have found with masks versus goggles is during the kick turn. A mask, not sealed within the socket of your eye, will take on a little water. That is a pain during a master's style swim, or pool swim. Other than that, I have relished the mask over the goggles for swimming! :-)
Vanessa
2004-05-25 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Another vote here for swimmask vs. goggles and I too have the aquasphere clear model. I like it better than goggles for the same reasons already posted. Larger view and no marks.
2004-05-25 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
But I agree w/ vanessa - regarding the on coming water. It is sort of annoying. Which is why I am going to try my husbands goggles that are clear and have better visibility than most goggles - can't remember the name but I'll check at home tonight.
2004-05-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: #27149

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
The TYR Hydrovision model is designed for smaller/narrower face types. I'm want to try on the SwimMask model also to see if it feels different.

>But I agree w/ vanessa - regarding the on coming water. It is sort of annoying. Which is why I am going to try my husbands goggles that are clear and have better visibility than most goggles - can't remember the name but I'll check at home tonight.

Don

2004-06-11 7:55 AM
in reply to: #27165

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
The store finally got in the TYR Hydrovision Swimmask this week. I swam with them yesterday in open water. After I got the strap adjusted right, I like them. It was much easier finding my horizon mark in the open water. There was just a hint of an issue with the mask shifting a bit when I was swimming, mostly when heading into the wind waves, but nothing a quick adjustment during a stroke couldn't take care of. Overall I'd give it 4 to 5 stars out of 5!

BTW, the TYR SwimMask is much bigger and clunkier. It did not fit my face at all.

Don
2004-06-11 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
England
I recently got the Aquashphere mask and also love it - it just stays on great and I've not yet had any leaks. Only issue is if you dont get all the water out when you put it on, it sloshes around more than in goggles and is not easy to solve mid swim. Mine is a great fit and tons more comfortable than goggles. I went for a black tint and dont notcie any loss of visibility indoors but will make a big difference when outdoors and sunny.
2004-06-11 8:59 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
I vote for a slight tint -mine is the "smoke" color which is working out fine. But I'm sure whatever tint you like will be equally fine. Maybe it's just that my eyes are sensitive, but outdoor swimming, sun, squinting..... it was all making for needless headaches that tinted goggles and masks resolved. I go back and forth between goggles and mask, with no apparent rhyme or reason. I have goggles that actually have my prescription lenses in them, so every once in a while I prefer that -particularly when I'm swimming at a pool where there might be people I know and it would be good if I actually could see to recognize them!

Andrea
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TYR Swim mask goggles Questions Rss Feed