General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo Racing Saddle- first ride impressions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-27 9:12 PM

Master
Colorado
Subject: Adamo Racing Saddle- first ride impressions

I e-mailed blackwell research to see if they would allow me to return this if the design didn't work for me.  The answer was yes, minus shipping and a 10% restocking fee as long as it was returned in mint condition.  We did the whole transaction over e-mail and the saddle arrived 3 business days later.  Total cost including shipping- $159.99 

I installed it in the same position as the one it was replacing.  I've heard that this needs to be ridden slightly more nose down than usual, and that does seem to be the case.  It was a short trainer ride, just under an hour.

First the bad:

This thing is ugly as hell.  I mean really, really ugly.  It wouldn't be all that bad if it was all black, but the gray leather and orange and red graphics are not attractive.  What the hell were they thinking?  The graphic on the left side that read "ISMgel" rubbed off immediately, so I guess I am now stuck with this whether I like it or not.  And it is hard.  Significantly harder than any other saddle I've been on in recent memory.

Now the good:

So far, no numbness.   I usually start getting "that feeling" around 20 minutes or so.  The longest I rode continously (without getting off to make an adjustment) was 30 minutes, and there was not a hint of numbness.  It took a little tweaking to get to what I *think* is the proper position and I may have found a sweet spot.  The rails are long, so there is plenty of adjustability.  The saddle is fairly wide up front, and the "fingers" that make up the nose do feel strange on the inner thighs.  However, there was no chafing during this short test ride and after I tipped the nose down a bit more the "fingers" became less noticable.  It will be a few rides before I make up my mind, but this has shown far more promise than anything else I have ridden.

2006-03-27 11:25 PM
in reply to: #380928

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Adamo Racing Saddle- first ride impressions
Keep us updated...... I'm very interested in what you think about this saddle. I know quite a few people who are very happy with their "flow" from Blackwell so this saddle is of great interest to me....especially since the design is so different.

Thanks for the info.

2006-03-28 12:54 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
2006-03-30 6:56 AM

Master
Colorado

Ride #2: Length 1 hour on the trainer again (hey, I live in a city)

I am growing less enamoured with the saddle.  After about 30 minutes of steady riding, I did actually start going numb.  Never fully, but I was starting to lose some sensation.  But that wasn't the real problem.  After about 45 minutes my sit bones were killing me!  I mean freakin' KILLING me.  I've got almost 400 miles logged this month, and have been consistently riding for quite a while, so this should not be a "ride lots issue".  I'll give it a few more rides and search arround for other recommended positioning tips specific to the saddle, but if it doesn't improve soon I'll be going back to my Profile Design Tri-Stryke.

2006-03-30 7:38 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I'm still testing it indoors, but plan on enjoying this unseasonably warm weather by taking a couple long rides this weekend.

The sit bones discomfort may aleviate itself with use; just as with any new saddle, you will need to get used to the new positioning, according to Blackwell. They make it sound like previous extensive experience in the saddle won't necessarily cause you to overcome new discomfort initially when switching to the Adamo, because the new areas on your rear end that actually come into contact with the new saddle are in different spots than you're used to, so I guess the idea is to re-train your a$$ to sitting on slightly different areas.

2006-06-16 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Stake and others, I'd like not so first ride impressions since it's been several months now. What's the word? A keeper?

2006-06-16 4:01 PM
in reply to: #456754

Master
Colorado

auto208562 - 2006-06-16 1:52 PM Stake and others, I'd like not so first ride impressions since it's been several months now. What's the word? A keeper?

I should have updated this thread a long time ago: 

I have roughly 1000 miles on it now.  I've done multiple 3, 4, 5+ hour rides on it, and 1 century +.  I rode it to a 12th place finish at Liberty to Liberty.  I'm riding it at IMCdA next week.  The only saddle I've used that doesn't numb the boys up.  And the a$$ pain goes away too.

'Nuff said?

Edited by Stake 2006-06-16 4:03 PM
2006-06-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: #457057

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Good enough for me. Placing my order from all3sports with another board's coupon code. Now I hope it makes me ride as much and as fast as you
Stake - 2006-06-16 2:01 PM

auto208562 - 2006-06-16 1:52 PM Stake and others, I'd like not so first ride impressions since it's been several months now. What's the word? A keeper?

I should have updated this thread a long time ago: 

I have roughly 1000 miles on it now.  I've done multiple 3, 4, 5+ hour rides on it, and 1 century +.  I rode it to a 12th place finish at Liberty to Liberty.  I'm riding it at IMCdA next week.  The only saddle I've used that doesn't numb the boys up.  And the a$$ pain goes away too.

'Nuff said?

2006-06-17 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Did you do anything special besides "saddle time" to relieve the sit bone pain. I had to shelve mine because I was sick of dealing with the pain. I switched to the blackwell flow and have no issues.

My biggest issue w/ the adamo was being forced into one position. Unlike other saddles, it is not designed to "slide back" when going up hills. I can see it being great for TT's and sprints/olys where you are aero the whole time. Unfortunately, I do a lot of non-aero position riding on my bike.

Glad it's working for you!!!
2006-06-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: #457523

Master
Colorado

BadgerIronMan - 2006-06-17 6:28 PM Did you do anything special besides "saddle time" to relieve the sit bone pain. I had to shelve mine because I was sick of dealing with the pain. I switched to the blackwell flow and have no issues. My biggest issue w/ the adamo was being forced into one position. Unlike other saddles, it is not designed to "slide back" when going up hills. I can see it being great for TT's and sprints/olys where you are aero the whole time. Unfortunately, I do a lot of non-aero position riding on my bike. Glad it's working for you!!!

Nope.  Just 5 or 6 rides until the pain was gone.  I have no problem sliding back and climbing either, and I'm one of those "stay seated and spin" guys- I very rarely stand.  It took some getting used to, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

2006-06-25 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA

I finally received mine in the mail and rode it for several longer rides.  My initial reaction is this saddle is a godsend.  I personally don't have a problem with the sit bones.  I also heard from others that the nose is a little wide.  Though it is wider that my stock cervelo seat, I still find it quite comfortable. 

Only problem I've found now is that it makes me ride slower because before, i'd try to ride faster to minimize the time on the bike because of the pain it caused me   Good thing though is, I'm enjoying my bike a lot for, meaning I'll put more time in the saddle. 

2006-07-31 9:05 AM
in reply to: #464926

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
I want to thank everyone for their feedback. I used this forum as a research tool before I purchased a used Adamo from Slowtwitch.

I only have on ride on it, and I could definately feel the sit bone pain, but based on what I am reading, I am not worried - sounds like with some time it will disappear.

I called Blackwell and spoke to a tech rep who siad that it does indeed need to be nosed down slightly. I am riding it level now, so I think I need a good tweaking ride to get it dialed in.

Thanks all!

Oh, did anyone place around with:

1. Using a zip tie to bring the twin noses in closer?
2. USing a saddle cover?

Blackwelld advised against doing both. Just curious
2006-07-31 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

I would put in a good few hundred miles before even thinking about moving the noses in closer.  In my case I got used to the feeling pretty quickly and I'm glad I didn't make any modifications.

I can't say enough how much I love the Adamo hehe.

2006-08-02 11:59 AM
in reply to: #497994

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brookhaven, PA (Philly Burbs)
Blackwell was kind enough to send me an installation sheet for the saddle if anyone wants it. Send me an email and I will forward if to you
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adamo Racing Saddle- first ride impressions Rss Feed