General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clipless pedals - encouragement needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-03-29 10:37 AM
in reply to: #381512

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: RE: clipless pedals - encouragement needed

The good news is that while there are plenty of people who just "get it" when it comes to clipping in & out, I'll bet there are more of us who have had to work at it.  You're in good company!  My husband never could figure out why I fell so much at first - until he watched me.  With a little coaching and practice, I got it and haven't had any problems since.  I just couldn't visualize what I was supposed to be doing and he was able to help me.  Enlist the help of a friend if you need to!

2006-03-29 10:56 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Most people have had some incident with "clipping". Like everyone else said lots of practice - trainer if you have it. It will become second nature and you will eventually not even think about it too much. It is a wierd feeling at first - claustrophic feeling - your stuck and there is no way out. If you can - try to relax - spend time riding in less stressful areas. If hills seem to be a problem then choose less crowded roads or paths that are flat until your comfort level goes up.

Good Luck You will get it

2006-03-29 11:01 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
thanks loads everybody (except mr non-encouragement). its deffo getting easier. i am now tending to unclip my left as i approach a junction/traffic lights. at the rate i'm going my right leg will be twice the size of my left one :P

only had one bad clip in today on the main junction as i leave work, but i at least cycled it, rather than walking it like yesterday. it wasn't chucking it down today which kinda helped. bad journey in but that was due to the idiocy of certain car drivers and pedestrians - stupid cows! if i'm at a junction on a slight incline give me fecking room will ya? don't keep inching forward so i have no leeway to get going....if looks could kill! journey home was loads better - found a better route which helped.

2006-03-29 11:59 AM
in reply to: #381621

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Yes.... that MIGHT happen.... or it just MIGHT happen that you are hanging out with your friends, stopped for some water and a Clif Bar... and you think you've unclipped the right leg.... but you've really unclipped the left leg... you lean to the right, faceplant into your friend's padded butt... knocking him over too. I mean that COULD also happen... you know?
2006-04-02 8:58 AM

User image

Master
brummie land
sod it! i'm off to my lbs tomorrow to buy some mtb shoes for my commute. i have seriously considered not cycling in at all anymore and that's no good. i'll save my road shoes for training only when i'm not having to stop at lights etc.

anybody else do the same?
2006-04-02 10:36 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I use mtn shoes for both road/mtn for now. SPD, so it's recessed, adn teh tread makes it easy to walk, no worries about slipping on sand, etc. I started with clipless last summer on my mountain bike, so any falls were unwitnessed, and now on the road I'm pretty comfortable.

2006-04-02 5:56 PM
in reply to: #385861

User image

Master
brummie land
more worried about slipping on the actual road - it tends to rain a lot in manchester! lol. gonna also look at clipless and normal half and half pedals.
2006-04-02 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Dude - it will definitely get better.  One thing that has helped a lot of people is to go to an empty parking lot, like at a High School on the weekend, and practice clipping in and out in different situations.  From a dead stop.  Honking on the brakes and needing to clip out quickly, etc.  You get the drift.

On the funny side, when I got my first set of clipless pedals (name withheld of the manufacturer), I was with my friend on Martha's Vineyard in the summer.  These particular pedals were eventually recalled, because they had this nasty habit of tightening up when you rode.  And when I got fatigued I couldn't clip out.  Well, guess what ...

Just as we finished a nice 50+ mile ride around the island, feeling like Greg Lemond (yes, Greg Lemond ... this was 1989), we were coming into the town, there were a lot of nice looking lasses, and I was coming up on a stop sign.  Couldn't clip out.  Felt panic.  Felt like Arte Johnson in those old skits with him riding a tricycle in Laugh In.  I fell over, right in front of some cute women.  One of them asked "How come you fell off your bike?"  I replied, "because I have these pedals that are kind of like ski bindings."  She says "that's dumb!"  I turn red, twist my foot out, and walk - with cleats - back to my friend's house with my tail between my legs.

I'm a pro now, with lots of miles logged.  I replaced those pedals with some Look pedals and still love them.

Hang in there!

Edited by tnt2tri 2006-04-02 6:44 PM
2006-04-02 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Just happened to be perusing my logs from last year... (Does this mean I have no life?) And here's a link to my "clipless pedal issues" last year.... I think it's normal to have a hard time at first... just practice, remain patient, and don't be too nervous... if you tense up and get all nervous, you won't be able to concentrate on what you're doing, and you may fall from just being too rigid!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=1759&month=4&year=2005

Don't worry, and don't give up. Just practice.

2006-04-02 8:24 PM

User image

Master

even after YEARS in clipless pedals you still COULD fall over... I'm not saying this happened but someone was riding with his friends once and was doing a trackstand at a stop light things were going well when a BIG truck went by REALLY fast and the wind cushion knocked me over... oops... I mean COULD have knocked me over...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » clipless pedals - encouragement needed Rss Feed  

of 2