General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need bike advice! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-25 5:07 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: Need bike advice!
I'm looking to get a bike and have very little money to spend on it. So I was planning on getting a used one. But I just checked out eBay and found this bike new. I'm a total beginner at all of this. But would this just be wasting my money? Would it be worse than buying a cheap used bike (like less than $300). They have a buy it now for $99 bucks and $45 shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=36...

"These complete road bikes were originally made for the Eruopean market. Our customer did not follow thru on the order so now we have these excelent road bikes for sale. Frame and fork are made of steel. Frame alone is worth more than the buy it now price. this bike would make an excelent gift for someone looking for a great weekend riding bike.

Bike will ship fully bult up. Some assebly required. Happy Holidays!

List Retail $299

FRAME SMALL GLOSS BLACK STEEL TIG WELDED
FITS 5'4" TO 5'7"

FORK STEEL TIG WELDED
SEAT POST STEEL 250mm
HEAD SET TANGE SE-ZX
REAR DERAILLEUR GENERIC 12 SPEED
FRONT DERAILLEUR GENERIC DOUBLE
BOTTOM BRACKET NECCO 882 68mm ENGLISH
CRANK SET STEEL 40/52
BRAKE CALIPERS CHANG STAR
SHIFTER BRAKE LEVERS DNP SHIFTERS WITH YIN XING BRAKE LEVERS
CASSETTE SUN WAY 6 SPEED 14-28
CHAIN KMC C-30
BAR JAS YONG JY-30 43CM
STEM HL CORP H6-C90
TIRES KENDA
TUBES KENDA
RIM TAPE KENDA
WHEEL SET DINO WITH ASSESS HUBS
SADDLE (bike seat) ROPDIN RACING SADDLE
BAR TAPE STANDARD
REFLECTORS INCLUDED
PEDALS INCLUDED

2004-05-25 7:23 PM
in reply to: #27200

User image

Regular
Romeoville, IL
Subject: RE: Need bike advice!
This is sort of the blind leading the blind, as I am currently shopping for my first road bike too, but I wouldn't trust the "generic" derailleurs. I had a talk with the owner of my local bike shop, and he said that Shimano gears are really the only good ones out there. (that's why everyone talks about them) There are many (5 or 6, I think) different quality levels, from elite to entry. Gears are really important. As in you want to be able to get into an easier one on those huge hills, right? I know it's a lot of cash for a good road bike, but if you have an MTB now it might just be worth getting some slicks and and clipless pedals and shoes and waiting until next year or when you have the cash to get something decent. otherwise you could potentially be throwing away $150 after assembly, and be in the same position next season. That was my plan until I got an unexpected windfall. Just my unqualified opinion!
2004-05-25 9:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Sydney
Shimano or campagnolo, both are good. i would say that ebay bike is definately not a bargain, you can find something better if you look around garage sales, or other second hand places. it is the sort of thing you might look at for recreational riding, commuting or touring (notice the angle of the forks, designed for comfort rather than response and performance) - but not for training or racing. Keep an eye out for the old shimano groupie bikes, like with the old RSX, 105, 600, dura ace etc or even the old campag bikes if you can find one cheap. campag lasts a long time, is top quality and reliabe.

.::aidan::.
2004-05-26 9:30 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
That bike is pretty crappy.
I'll wager it weighs as much as, if not more than,
a wal-mart schwinn MTB and is of even lesser quality
I would not trust the "generic" components to work
for any use other than slowly cruising a bike path,
and not for very long at that
I would skip it.
You can probably find a used bike that will be of
vastly higher quality
(ie name brand) for the same money.
Or, check out Performance, Supergo, or Nashbar
for their "house brand" bikes.
They can often be had for fairly reasonable prices,
and they're new.
You don't say what your budget is,
but whatever it is, make sure to
allow for the necessary accessories
helmet, pump, spare tube, and tire levers
are absolute minimum.
2004-05-26 9:49 AM

Champion
Don't buy it. Save the $145, add another $155 to it, and shop around at bike stores for something used. For $300 you can probably get a used bike that would have cost at least double that when brand new. That internet special bike will be worse than one you could pick up directly at Toys-R-Us for a similar price.

Max
2004-05-26 12:35 PM
in reply to: #27322

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Thanks guys! I had decided against it anyhow, but you all really put the nail in that coffin! Unfortunately, I have no bike at all right now. I've just been riding the stationary one at the gym (which has literally put bruises on my rear!) I want to be able to spend $300 on the bike. But I'll have to save up. So essentially, I have the choice of a really cheap bike soon or a good bike (on my $0 $300 scale) a month+ from now.

There should be a fund somewhere to assist poor triathlete hopefuls. :-P

-Kim

2004-05-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: #27313

User image

Veteran
Sydney
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2004-05-26 11:30 PM

That bike is pretty crappy.

lol, you crack me up
2004-05-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: #27382

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Keep your eyes open for yard sales.
You can get some SCREEEEEAMING good deals
if you have a bit of luck.

A couple of years ago I was in my LBS when
a guy rolled in a beautiful steel Trek with
older (downtube shifters) Shimano 600.
It had two flat tires, a rusty chain and a layer of dust
he had gotten it for $60 at a yard sale

I offered him $100 on the spot, but he was too smart for me (sigh)

2004-05-28 6:44 AM

Richmond, Tx
Get on the net and look for bike clubs in your area. Some have classifieds that have really good used bikes that are pretty cheap.
2004-05-28 3:44 PM

New user

Vancouver
Hi All, new to this site but thought i would add my 2cents worth!! I bought a brand new leader bike off ebay last year and although it was around $1000US it came with full shimano altegra, carbon fork, carbon seatpost, specific womans saddle, and brand new in a choice of colour. Its really hard to buy over the net as its difficult for size but i am incredibly happy with my bike and it would have cost almost $2500 here in Canada to get a bike with full ultegra components!! I realise this is way out of some peoples leagues and appreciate that but for those thinking around this price range see if you can still get them because its a bargain!!
2004-05-28 4:05 PM

Kansas
Go to your LBS and tell them how much you have to spend.  The might know someone that has one to see.  That's how I ended up selling one of my bikes.  Really didn't plan on selling it, just hanging in the garage collecting dust.

Ask around the local clubs and see if anyone has one to sell.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need bike advice! Rss Feed