General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High School Runner, training. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-29 9:03 PM

Subject: High School Runner, training.
Right now I'm a highschool distance runner with the first dual meet of outdoor track next wednesday. I'm plannng on a Sprint Triathlon July Sixteenth, but I'm not sure how to train. I'm a Sectional contender in 400m hurdles and possilby 3000m steeple chase, so track training is going to take precedence over the triathlon until early june. I'll probably have around 3 days a week that I can do a full workout of something other than running. Should I just focus on building a base in cycling and swimming until june and try and cram all my speed work into a month long span? My main question is how to train to compete fairly well without killing myself through over working in the process.

2006-03-29 9:11 PM
in reply to: #383095

User image

Subject: RE: High School Runner, training.
although im not gonna be able to help you training wise, i just think its way cool that someone else around my age wants to get into multisport. Good Luck!
-Dbar'
2006-03-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #383095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Subject: RE: High School Runner, training.
In my opinion, speed work isn't essential for the first triathlon unless your goal is to win the whole thing. If your goal is to finish it, the focus on the base, but if you think that you have a resonable shot at winning, then a little more speedwork may be important. That said, I would assume that building a base is much more important in an endurance race than speed work, so budget your time accordingly. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High School Runner, training. Rss Feed