General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-31 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: stretching advice

I did a search first but got bored with it so here another stretching thread.

I know I don't stretch enough.  Can someone point me to a good stretching plan/routine that I can tri?

My issue (boy do i have issues) is mostly my calves but I would like to increase my overall flexibilty as well.

Thanks,

Mike 

2006-03-31 9:12 AM
in reply to: #384379

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: stretching advice
What are you currently doing? How long are you stretching? (I'm trying to get an idea before I go into details...)
2006-03-31 9:15 AM
in reply to: #384448

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

watergirl - 2006-03-31 10:12 AM What are you currently doing? How long are you stretching? (I'm trying to get an idea before I go into details...)

not long enough I am sure but mostly wall pushes and stuff like that.  Nothing formal nothing planned. 

2006-03-31 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

You probably need to start fitting about 10-15 minutes into your workouts. I know that might sound like a lot, but it will really help. When I played sports in high school, we stretched for seemed like forever before practice (cheerleading, basketball, softball, track, etc. in various years). Now I don't do any stretching before. All mine is after.
Okay, what I do. Modify to fit your needs. (If this is confusing, maybe I can clarify ... Hold each stretch for a min. of 15 seconds
- calves: the wall stretch, like you're already doing. Then, put the bottom of your foot (left or right) against a wall. Raise up on your other foot until you feet a good stretch.
- hamstring: touch your toes, or get as close as you can. Also, sit on the floor and spread your legs, like a cheerleader doing a toe-touch. Reach towards each toe as far as you can. It might help to hold onto your shoe strings. Then stretch towards the middle. Try to keep your back straight as possible. Then, bring your feet together and stretch straight towards your toes (grabbing the shoestrings will probably help here too).
- inner thigh: touch the bottom of your feet together and use your elbows to push your knees down. Go as far down as possible until it just hurts. I usually do this one twice.
- more hamstring: Stand back up, and stand with your feet a little over shoulder-width apart. Reach for each toe. Then, bend at the right knee, keep your left leg straight. This will also stretch your inner thigh. Do this for both legs.
- quads: pull your foot behind you up towards your waist. Hold. Don't twist when you're doing this. Make sure it's straight behind you.
- Abs: This is a yoga pose. Lay on the floor and push just the top part of your body up with your arms. Keep your legs flat. You should feel a pretty good stretch. Then, shift your weight so you're sitting on your legs, bend forward and keep your arms stretched out in front of you on the floor. Then, stand up and lean your torso to the right, keeping your legs straight. You should feel it stretch your left side.
- Back and abs: sit on the floor with your legs out in front of you. Cross one leg over the other with that foot flat on the floor. Reach your opposite arm around the bent knee and grab hold of the leg laying flat. Twist your torso until you feel a good stretch.
- Arms: Put your at the mid/top of your back. Use your other hand to pull on your elbow (baseball player, etc., stretch). Then, bring one arm in front of you (straight or bent, depends on you) and crook the other arm to pull it further across your body. Do not pull at the elbow of your straight arm. Then, hold onto a door frame with your right arm (keep it straight) and twist your body to the left until you feel a good stretch. Next, reach your arms over your head. Twist your hands (left palm facing left and right palm facing right) and put your palms together. Try to straighten your arms (you'll see swimmers doing this one). Next, you can also ask a friend to hold your arms and pull them together behind your back (similar to the holding the door frame stretch).
I also occasionally stretch my wrists. Put your palms together prayer-style in front of you and push down. You can also push on each palm with hands flipped.
Wow, that was a long-winded explanation. I don't know of any visuals to give you. Also, ask the trainer at your gym. They should be able to help. BTW, the above is most of what I do. I'm sure there are some I can't remember

2006-03-31 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
For visuals, you could grab a copy of Shape. They've got good stretches generally.
2006-03-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: #384524

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

Watergirl, 

Thanks for all the input!!  I'll make a point to include stretches in my pre or post workout schedule.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stretching advice Rss Feed