General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Married Duo tackling our first Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-31 11:13 AM

User image

New user

Bothell, Wa
Subject: Married Duo tackling our first Tri
Hi everyone. My wife and I are trying to get ready for our first tri this summer. We're pretty excited but we both have our points of nervousness when it comes to this event.

Myself (Gary) - A swimmer background helps me look at the swimming portion and think "Piece of cake". But running is the bane of my existence. Admittedly I have no problem trying to do bike workouts and getting back in the water, but when it comes time to run, my wife has to kick my butt out the door.

My Wire (Kayleen) - Is a running machine (at least to me she is). She's actually doing her first marathon tomorrow in Yakima, WA. She looks at the 3.5 mile run on the triathlon and thinks "That's warmup". But for her the fear is the swimming part, which I tell her she'll be able to finish just fine.

So together it's great to encourage each other in our weak areas and hopefully have a great time. I'm definitely learning a lot and will probably be asking a number of questions on the forums like how do the transition areas work? Do you just leave your stuff there and run up out of hte water, take the wetsuit off, toss on some shorts and your number, fit your socks on and shoes, hop on the bike and you're off. Come back change shoes and collapse, I mean start your run.

Well anyway, it's great to see so many others doing tri's for the first time and knowing I too can join the crowd soon.

Edited by gkami 2006-03-31 11:29 AM

2006-03-31 12:53 PM
in reply to: #384676

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Married Duo tackling our first Tri

While your wife is drowning swimming , pull on your running shoes and hit the road. Really, the only way you're going to like running is to, well, run. And then go do it again. It really does get better. (I'm a waterlover who is discovering the joys of running through marathon training).
As for transitions, you're right on. It's basically a mad dash to see who can get dressed over a wet suit the fastest without forgetting their helmet. It's something that you can at least practice beforehand to get an idea of what it's going to be like.
Have fun training! Log your progress and enjoy the swim/ride/run!

2006-03-31 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

You have found tri paradise here!  Ron and Marmadaddy are two of the best geeks in the world and triathletes to boot!  

Welcome. 

Enjoy. 

Best wishes. 

Happy Training. 

2006-03-31 1:43 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Welcome to BT! A triathlon is a great thing to do as a couple. My favorite tri so far is the one my wife and I did together.

You pretty much described the transition process in a nutshell. We have a few articles about transitions here. The best advice I have about them is to practice. Do some bricks (bike/run workouts) where you have a transition area set up like you expect to at a race. For the T1 transitions, I practice them with my kids. I put on my wetsuit and they put on their kiddie wetsuits (inexpensive pastel colored neoprene shortie suits that keep them warm in the water) and we practice getting out of them and jumping on our bikes/tricycles and riding down the driveway.

Going to a race to observe, or even volunteer is a great way to see how transitions work and mett other triathletes. Good luck to you both!

(writebrained, your check is on the way )

2006-03-31 2:00 PM

User image

New user

Bothell, Wa
Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. This week I started riding the bike during my lunch hour and it's still a tough concept to think about biking for 45 minutes then putting on the running shoes and heading out for another 20+ minutes. All in due time.

And I do hope that at hte point that running for 20-30 minutes becomes easier, I start to like running more or at least grinning and bearing it

I'll definitely be reading up all I can. Anything to make race day a smooth and enjoyable process!
2006-03-31 4:44 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Welcome and I hope your marriage survives the eventual obsession one of you will get for this sport

2006-03-31 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
My wife tricked me into this 4 years ago. She used to whip me but now we are split the races 50/50. Its great fun training together.
2006-03-31 8:44 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX

Congrats on becoming another husband/wife combo on BT!  My hubby (DerekL) and I started this obsession almost a year ago.  Sounds like you and your wife are one step ahead of the game by having a background in at least one discipline.  We both started out with zip and still love it. 

I had my doubts about doing anything back-to-back when I first started training too, but if you just put your head down and try a brick, you'll be surprised what your body can handle.  Now, get out there and train and get your wife on the board too!  I need a partner in crime!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Married Duo tackling our first Tri Rss Feed