http://www.mstrackclub.com
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 26m 9s
Overall Rank = 64/128
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Had a hard time sleeping through the night. Finally got up around 6, had a couple of muffins, drank some water, collected the SU and children and headed downtown.
Event warmup:

Ran gently for 15 minutes. Left leg was cramping up around the knee.
Run
  • 26m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I set another PR/PB but I think I was too overexcited about racing one of my bosses, who is a more experienced runner and handed my butt to me in a bag by beating me in over a minute. I didn't feel very strong during this run, and when it became apparent that I was not going to be able to match him stride for stride, I bagged the idea of beating him and instead concentrated on trying to set a PR/PB and break 26:00.

Now, one thing very positive aside from the PR/PB - this is the first race where I didn't lose sight of the leaders before the first mile or so, I could still see the front. I'm happy about that. I also got passed by fewer people than I have before, percentage wise and in the last mile the only guys that beat me where a couple of college kids who kept walk/sprinting.
What would you do differently?:

Do what I did at the St. Paddy's race. Start right at the front, take off and put some space between me and the crowd. I estimate I lost between 15-20 seconds in the congestion (this was a big race for around here). However, to make the bet "fair" between my co-worker and I, we agreed to start in the middle of the pack. Next time I'll start at the front, which is a lot more comfortable to me. I don't care if I get passed by a million people, I just run better if I can turn on the gas immediately.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around the finish area, drank some water, socialized, sat on a flower urn.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics, inexperience, I've only been seriously running three months after a 20 year lull. I think I may be more of a 'threat' in 10K distances. I also should have taken a rest day a couple of weeks ago instead of going 15 with two days of rest before the race like I did. My legs felt good, but my body felt tired.

Event comments:

It really irked me that the only t-shirt size they had when I picked up was Extra Large. I realize its a charity event, they have lots of walkers, but I signed up for a MEDIUM, not an "Extra Fat" shirt. I realize that's a petty remark, but its the way I feel.

I need to do some speedwork.

UPDATE 4/2/06 - I am pleased looking at the results... I didn't think I ran all that well, but I moved up in the pack, to exactly the middle - 64 of 128. That's my best ranking in a race so far. I'm getting faster even if it doesn't feel like it!

The very best part of the race, however... having Davis and Meredith come up and hug me after I got out of the finishing chute. That made 'losing' all worth it :)

Last updated: 2006-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:09 | 03.11 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Below average
Course: Basically a rectangle in downtown Jackson, MS.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-04-01 12:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

(DSC02382.jpg)

(DSC02354-B.jpg)

(DSC02361-B.jpg)

(DSC02383.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC02382.jpg (21KB - 35 downloads)
DSC02354-B.jpg (57KB - 34 downloads)
DSC02361-B.jpg (73KB - 34 downloads)
DSC02383.jpg (17KB - 26 downloads)

2006-04-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: #385516

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Komen Race For The Cure
Great job and an incredible string of PR's in the past few weeks/months.
2006-04-02 11:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
LOL!  A PB and you rate your performance as below average.    Way to go on your race and I like your cheering section.
2006-04-03 2:41 PM

Elite
Muskego, WI
GOOD JOB!  Don't sweat the boss...if you gave it your all, what can you be disappointed about?  Oh yea, the T-Shirt.  That is irritating, isn't it?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Komen Race For The Cure Rss Feed