United States
41F / 5C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Race was in hometown. Had a banana and bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast.
Event warmup:

It was raining pretty hard, so my pre- race rountine was looking for a plastic bag for the transition, and trying to stay dry. I did not warm- up.
Run
  • 21m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was more of a wreck than a race. The combination of 41F, steady rain, and 10- 15 mph wind made everything tough. Other than dodging puddles, the rain didn't bother me too much, especially after I decided that trying to keep the shoes dry would be a wasted effort.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front of the group. Would have been nice to run on a sunny day without raingear, but it was not meant to be. Overall, pretty happy so far.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Learned a few lessons today.
1. Don't have the bike in the granny gear and a big ring on the front to start out with. Spun out and had to shift quickly to avoid falling over in the transition area. (this was not planned)
2. Pop out lens' on glasses sound cool, but they also pop out unexpectedly (like when trying to snake the glasses around the helmet straps I put on first, oops!) Glasses first, then helmet.
3. Put glasses in pocket for run, then they fogged up as soon as I put them on my face for the bike(oops!).

Quite a bit actually, see above.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 30s
  • 17 miles
  • 14.47 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where my race got interesting. I was riding alright, keeping up with the people I expected to keep up with, until about 1/4 of the way out. I was soaked, hands were icecubes, and all of a sudden the bike get really unresposive, yep, Flat rear wheel. I get off the bike, and do as good of a job as I can with shivering fingers. I could not find any thorns or the reason for the flat, so I throw on my spare tube, then use one of my 2 CO2's to fill it up. The whole thing took approx. 5 mins (?). It was frustrating getting passed by all those people. Get back on the bike, and ride for a few miles and look down to see the tire going flat again. All of this was while riding into a 10- 15 mph headwind. I get off the bike, use my last CO2 to top off the tube, and race back to try to beat the leaky tire. Any idea how hard it is to work that little presta valve with gloves on and frozen fingers? Make it back with a few pounds left in the tube. Helped a lot to have a headwind on the way back. The bike computer shows my wheels were moving for 59 minutes.

Might look into different tires, and maybe put the slime tube back on the rear. The rest of the race was affected by me getting the flat, both mentally, and physically. It was tough to keep focused on performing, and I got really cold, and never warmed back up when I got off the bike for so long.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Wife was there to help get the helmet buckle off, not sure I wouldn't still be there if I had to do it. Got a charlie horse in my left calf, man that didn't help. Wife and son were there cheering me on though, so that helped. Just can't help thinking how much more enjoyable this would have been with decent weather.

This one went pretty well.
Run
  • 23m
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This one was tough for me because the out and back course meant I had to pass everyone who was still running. It was hard for me to be behind people I know I am much faster than, but behind them due to the troubles with my bike. About 1/2 way through my run, I saw a few of the guys I was riding with before the problems, and it was tough to know that is where I should be. I had a good second run though for me. The feet were numb from the cold, and the legs felt like bricks, but I pushed hard because I wanted to end on a positive, and I did. I passed 4- 5 people on the run.

I was pretty happy with this leg of the race, so I wouldn't change anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Got in the truck and drove home to take a long, warm shower. I was totally soaked.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather and Flat Tire were brutal. The weather affected everyone, but the loss of time from the flat tire is what has me the most disappointed. Also, I have not done enough speed work running, or on the bike.

Event comments:

This was my first race, and I learned a lot. I am a little disappointed, but even with that I am still looking forward to competing more.

Last updated: 2006-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:30 | 03 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Decided to use my cheap HR monitor instead of my Timex watch. The HR monitor does not do splits, so I am guessing at all of the times, but I feel they are pretty close. HR started out slow, but then as I got clear of the crowd and started to run rather than jog it was quite a bit higher. At one time I saw a 183, would rather have kept it below 170.
Course: Run was on an asphalt trail, certainly not flat, mostly rolling hills with plenty of bends in the course. There were puddles of water all over from the rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:00
Overall: Bad
Run with bike?
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:10:30 | 17 miles | 14.47 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The course is hilly, really only one difficult hill, but there were no flat spots that allowed me to get into the aero bars and go. It was an out and back, except for one 3 mile circle. There were policemen stopping traffic at the busy intersection, which was nice.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:00 | 03 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same course as above, except now instead of puddles, there were rivers and lakes on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes