General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Straight to Full or Halfway first? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-04 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
Subject: Straight to Full or Halfway first?

Jeepfleeb and dhlundblad have inspired me to do an Ironman.  But since I've only done one sprint, should I do a 1/2 first or just go for it and do a full Ironman?  I'm talking like, next year's IMAZ or something like that; I figure I need at least a year.  But I'm not talking about "I will do an Ironman in 3 years".  I need that bit of controlled stupidity that comes with a fairly short timeframe.  Let the advice, jokes, questions, etc. begin.

2006-04-04 8:42 AM
in reply to: #387502

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Straight to Full or Halfway first?
From what I understand, you need to register a year in advance anyway. However, there's nothing that says you can't do a half or two within those twelve months.
2006-04-04 8:53 AM

User image

Queen BTich

If you're going to register to do a full next year you SHOULD do several Oly's and at least one 1/2. If you can fit in 2, even better.

Good luck.

2006-04-04 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Also try to do some individual events like a 10K run, Half Marathon, Marathon,   or a Century Ride.   Use them  as part of your train up.
2006-04-04 9:50 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
I know this is exactly NOT what you asked for, but I'm working on a Couch-to-Kona 3 year plan.  I'll let you know how it turns out in 2.5 years.
2006-04-04 9:52 AM

User image

over a barrier
I talked myself out of finding a full this year....Having only done indoor tri's this winter.

I'm doing 3 Sprints, 2 Oly, and 1 1/2 Iron Distance this year along with two 1/2 marathons and a 5K swim. I plan on a Marathon early next Spring and then IMOO. I could probably "finish" and Ironman this year, but I want the experience and confidence going into the race. I bonked pretty bad on my first/only marathon in 2002.

I want to work on my nutrition at various distance before trying to tackle a full....I want to line up with as little doubt as possible.

2006-04-04 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I know some will disagree, but I've been told I need to have waaaaay more miles on my legs in all three disciplines before I can give an IM it's due. Was hoping to do Wisconsin in 2007, after 4 seasons of Sprints, Olympics and Halves... Including Half Marathons and a full marathon this fall... but my "coach" doesn't think 2007 is a realistic goal.

On long weekend workout days my group does 80+ mile bike rides followed by 15-17 mile runs. Bad A$$ bricks. I'm not ready for that yet. Could do the bikes and the runs individually, but not as bricks. And that's the key to the whole training. 

An IM is a long trecherous and awful experience, ,pushing you further than you've been pushed before. I've been told it takes years of preparation, and with that in mind, I'm probably looking at 2008 myself... unless I do exceptionally well this year. We will have to see.

Whatever you decide, it's a personal decision, and I can't wait to hear about your journey from Sprint to IM!

Good Luck.

Whiz 

2006-04-04 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coppell
So the consensus is that one year from zero to hero, while a great movie idea, is not a realistically safe choice.  Fair enough.  Perhaps I'll jump on the 3 year plan....
2006-04-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: #387853

User image

Queen BTich

pds0006 - 2006-04-04 12:54 PM So the consensus is that one year from zero to hero, while a great movie idea, is not a realistically safe choice.  Fair enough.  Perhaps I'll jump on the 3 year plan....

It depends on what your goals are. There are several people, off the top of my head: me, JeepFleeb, OldAg92, that are doing an IM in their first year, and many others in their second. Its possible, but your main goal can only be to finish. To finish with a great time is another story...well, we'll have to see how Jeep does next week, he might be the exception.

Go with what you're comfortable with, but its safer to have more miles under your belt.

2006-04-04 12:05 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-04 12:09 PM
in reply to: #387801

Coach
Boston, MA
Whizzer - 2006-04-04 11:26 AM

I know some will disagree, but I've been told I need to have waaaaay more miles on my legs in all three disciplines before I can give an IM it's due. Was hoping to do Wisconsin in 2007, after 4 seasons of Sprints, Olympics and Halves... Including Half Marathons and a full marathon this fall... but my "coach" doesn't think 2007 is a realistic goal.

On long weekend workout days my group does 80+ mile bike rides followed by 15-17 mile runs. Bad A$$ bricks. I'm not ready for that yet. Could do the bikes and the runs individually, but not as bricks. And that's the key to the whole training. 

An IM is a long trecherous and awful experience, ,pushing you further than you've been pushed before. I've been told it takes years of preparation, and with that in mind, I'm probably looking at 2008 myself... unless I do exceptionally well this year. We will have to see.

Whatever you decide, it's a personal decision, and I can't wait to hear about your journey from Sprint to IM!

Good Luck.

Whiz 

I think you and your coach are both very smart people! It seems that some people tend to forget that an IM is a big deal and a big commitment. But then again we all have different goals and motivations.

>>>To original poster - good luck on what you decide!

2006-04-04 12:47 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
I'm stopping to do the half first. Ijust finished my first half marathon with considerable success and ease, so I'm happy that my training is on target for the distance. In the next few months I'll be working my run base/distance/endurance to work at my first full marathon in October. I need to know that I'm OK with the run distance first before I go for the IM. The Pineman Half will be an interesting experience...but a good gauge to know where the holes are in my training. That's why I like racing the individual events, to know that my training is on course. Hopefully I will be in line for my stab at an MDot by 2007. I'm thinking IM Moo or IMFL...but who knows.
2006-04-04 12:49 PM

Columbus, Ohio
I'm joining the IM in one year group - I get a little worried when I see people taking the 3 year route in case I'm getting ahead of myself.... I've been riding centuries for about 3 years so I'm happy with the bike. Likewise, the swim I'm comfortable with the training - just building the endurance which I think will not be too much of a problem in the year. It's the run that gives me the heebie-jeebies! However, so far I've improved my speed by 0.8mph over 6 miles... I'd originally planned a marathon more for the pyschological effect than the need to do physically do it first. However, I didn't want to stuff up the training for my olympic distance at St A's. The training plans don't seem to think it's necessary (other than providing the psychological boost). Anyway, this year happens to be my best chance to train up to the distance because of my current job situation and I probably won't get the opportunity again, so it's back to the one year thing! However, I couldn't get into IMFL (first choice as the latest in the US season) so I'm planning on Western Australia in December. It'll be a bummer to have to travel there!

In the meantime, I'll do a few Olympics, a few Sprints and the Vineman half...

Good luck!

Claire
2006-04-04 1:04 PM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I began triathlon training in September of '04. When I began, I had about 2 years of moderate run training (a couple of 10k's, longest runs of 15 miles while training for a marathon before an injury). I had never done any bike training or swim training.

Last year I did 2 sprints, 2 Olys, and a 5:38 half IM at the end of the season. During the triathlon off season I did 2 half marys, a 20-miler, and a marathon.

I'm signed up for IMLP this year and feel confident that I'll finish successfully.

I'm not one of the youngsters mentioned earlier, either. I'll be 38 at LP.

In your specific case, though, looking at your training logs makes it clear you have a bit further to go to get there than I did. If you can get a few more sprints under your belt this year and maybe an Oly. See how you feel at the end of it. Was it an easy distance that you ran hard or did you wonder if you were going to even cross the line regardless of your time? If it was the former, then MAYBE you could consider signing up for IMFL. If so, then work hard over the winter and shoot for an early half IM and spend the rest of the summer focusing on training for the IM.

My limited experience $0.02, anyway.
2006-04-04 2:13 PM

Elite
Venture Industries,
Having only done one race, I'm curious why is the advice to do "x" number of races of a particular distance prior to tackling a full IM? Isn't the key the amount of training? from what I've been reading the key to an IM finish isn't the number of sprints, oly's or halfs you have previously completed but rather the amount of time you can dedicate to training for an IM. Reading several books on triathlons it seems possible to concentrate on IM training without concern for races of shorter distances.

Maybe I'm totally wrong but it seems the training is the key, and it MAY be possible to dedicate yourself to this hard core training for an IM in a one year period.

Of course having done exactly one sprint tri and doing one Oly this year my opinion may be total wothless garbage. But I'd say if you think you can, and you have the time, energy and dedication, go for it. As long as you're under 17 hours youre an Ironman.
2006-04-04 2:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Bah humbugs! I say "do it"! A year is PLENTY of time to get ready, assuming your goal is to FINISH, and not to place well. Ultimately, everyone's bodies are diffferent, and if you think you can do it, you CAN! I agree that doing some additional races during this season will help your confidence, and help you to know your body better. If you're signing up for an MDOT, you better get online the first thing in the morning the day after the race and do it or you'll be shut out!

2006-04-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: #388121

Columbus, Ohio
Yay! That's the attitude!
2006-04-04 3:03 PM
in reply to: #388082

Coach
Boston, MA

ASA22 - 2006-04-04 2:13 PM Having only done one race, I'm curious why is the advice to do "x" number of races of a particular distance prior to tackling a full IM? Isn't the key the amount of training? from what I've been reading the key to an IM finish isn't the number of sprints, oly's or halfs you have previously completed but rather the amount of time you can dedicate to training for an IM. Reading several books on triathlons it seems possible to concentrate on IM training without concern for races of shorter distances. Maybe I'm totally wrong but it seems the training is the key, and it MAY be possible to dedicate yourself to this hard core training for an IM in a one year period. Of course having done exactly one sprint tri and doing one Oly this year my opinion may be total wothless garbage. But I'd say if you think you can, and you have the time, energy and dedication, go for it. As long as you're under 17 hours youre an Ironman.

It really has nothing to do with the amount of races you've done prior an IM. It is about the type of aerobic base you have. Developing your aerobic fitness for an event like IM takes time. True you "might" be able to train and your "might" finish with a year for training. But it is not only the fact that you sign up, you train x hrs a week and race. It is a big commitment to you, your family, friends, job, etc. I haven’t done one and I have no plans do to one in the near future as my goals are different. BUT I have many friends training for IM and most state how big of a commitment it really is. Some people get the joy of doing lots (races, training), some others use it as a goal to live a healthier life, others do it to be competitive and yet others maybe do it for all/none…  It is so inspirational to hear stories from athletes from different backgrounds and how a small triathlon changed their life. Now they are doing racing every years and even doing HIM, IM, ultras, etc. It really doesn’t matter as long as you Tri    I think any challenge is achievable as long as we commit to it and dare to go for it. Just don’t over extend your limits and be safe…

2006-04-04 7:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Coppell

Wow, lots of great thoughts from everyone, thanks!  Based on a lot of good information and a little reflection I've decided to aim for a HIM next year, perhaps the Buffalo Springs HIM in late June. 

Being WAAAAYYAYAYAYAYA out of shape (well, round is a shape...) I think it would be a good idea to set a challenging, but achievable goal.  That's not to say I don't think I could finish an IM in a year (that IS all I was planning for, forgot to mention), but being in school and working full time takes a bite out of the time.  Curses, I need a sponsor who caters to me and lets me focus on training!  Is there a patron saint for triathletes?  I wonder which one would be good for that?  Or maybe a greek god... Mercury?  Is that the guy with the winged shoes?

Anyway, the plan now is to train towards weigh loss and prep for a HIM next year.  I gotta find some 10k's and half-marys to get up to speed and look for a late season Oly or something... i bet I could look at Aaron's training logs and find all of that!  Oh yeah, and keep track of Aaron tearing it up on Saturday!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Straight to Full or Halfway first? Rss Feed