Setup, Inc.
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6am - had a trail mix bar (I knew I wasn't starting anytime soon - so I wanted something and that was just easy at the time). Got to the Race after 715am - Set up my transition - because I was starting so late I checked out the people around my area and their area was just cluttered - too much stuff. I just had bike shoes, helmet, glasses, socks, running shoes, hat and race number w/ belt. What is all of that other non-sense for anyway! :) Sat around for three hours watching others race - I saw almost everyone I wanted take off in the pool - and finish up in the run before my race ever began (which is taxing because I just wanted to GO!)
Event warmup:

I didn't warm up really - did stretch...but that was it.
Swim
  • 06m 58s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

I mean, I resubmitted my time and tried to change from Novice to Age Group, both would have helped immensely. I wouldn't have gotten trapped and/or stuck behind some slower folks. I felt good in the water - able to breath well - able to keep moving, no problems - no panic-attack like in the time trial several weeks ago. The slowing down to get around people and having to avoid getting kicked in the face...it hurt me! I figure I did really lose a minute - but, I am happy with the NOT having a panic attack - that's a good thing!
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

There was a bit of a run from the bottom of the stairs at the pool exit to the T1 area which accounted for some of that time - I guess I could have run faster - but I was on a sidewalk....I don't know. Once I got to the bike - grabbed my stuff and took off I felt fine. I was pissed because the two people that I could see running out of T1 in front of me just stopped right when the got over the 'mount' line. They were blocking me...and so I ran through the middle of them and got on my bike while I was running - why stop there? seriously. Dangerous!!!

Run faster from the pool?
Bike
  • 40m 49s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr

I would have drank more water and I would have gone harder. I was passed by a girl in my tri club - I knew she was a better biker and def. a better runner, but at mile 5 when I hadn't seen her I felt good - then she passed me and I rode hard, but couldn't keep up.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s

Racked the bike a little better - back wheel was turned a little so I had to pull it up so it wouldn't fall. Ran out the RUN this time instead of the bike like I tried at Hillsborough! That was improvement
Run
  • 34m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I must Run More. Must get better. I lost to everyone that I had hoped to hang with in this portion of the race. I was super slow - painfully slow. I seriously was 9 minutes or so behind the girls I train with - and the one girl that only beat me by 2 min. at Hillsborough beat me by 9 min this time - All of it on the run. I was a minute faster in the pool - a little faster on the bike and the transitions gave me two more minutes. Sad story!

TRAIN MORE - RUN MORE. WOW. Run MORE!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around Wrightsville all afternoon - stretched just a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1) My inability to gauge how fast I should go at each discipline in order to not die before the end. I want to be able to SPRINT each section - but that's just not where I am yet with my training...I have to figure this out.
2) My inability to RUN at all....That section just is painful...and slow.

Event comments:

I had hoped in January when I signed up for this race to just finish. About a month ago I changed that goal to - finish in under 2 hours. After Hillsborough two weeks ago I decided 1h 45m was my goal. I did it in 1h 25m and I felt SLOW...I know I have a ton of work ahead of me and I'm ready for it! This isn't going to be easy because now I don't have the luxury of NOT really knowing where I'm the worst. It's clear. Run....I have the ability to work on it and definitely make up time. It's hard to remember that not everyone just started this training thing recently - most of these people are really good. So the competitive part of me is struggling with my lack of being "GOOD" at any of it. I want it all to come overnight and it's just not going to happen like that. Patience Grasshopper, Patience. This I understand...so, my goals are constantly changing - I have a lot - and on the top of the list is to get my mile under 10 minutes and soon....All in all - second race....first true sprint - I'm okay with it. I wish it were faster...but I finished and In a lot less time than I originally had hoped for!

Last updated: 2006-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:58 | 300 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
HOW FRUSTRATING. I started at 10:55am. I was confused by my start b/c I had resubmitted my time to 5:51 - and I was behind some other people that I knew had Longer times...I found out the director didn't change me from Novice to Age group (like I had asked and he had agreed to)...so I was in Novice - starting in the end....Sigh. Okay - fine. I started and felt great....And then I got passed. I knew it would happen because the girl behind me said that she should have submitted 5, but accidentally put 6. Oh well. Here's the frustrating part - I then had to PASS her at the end of the lane because she passed me and slowed down and messed up my rhythm. This happened - so I lost some time trying to get around her at the end of the lane - under the ropes, etc. Then I lost some time trying to pass another person....Got out of the pool - down the stairs - timing mat.
Suit: Tri Shorts/Shirt - Desoto
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:49 | 12.43 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was 2 6 mile loops. Speed bumps and enough turns to make you dizzy. It wasn't terrible - but there was a good headwind...and gusts. Whatever...I averaged b/w 14-16mph and saw over 26mph on the one straight in front of the campus. Almost got hit by a car because the cop wasn't looking towards the BIG intersection - he had his back facing that way...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:22 | 03.11 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Holy SLOW RUN Batman! I am sooooo slow. It hurts to be this slow. I mean, really - there's no excuse for this! I have to start running more more more! The course BLEW! IT's on campus at UNC-W. They kept us on the sidewalks and every 40-60 feet you were making a hard right or hard left - so I never EVER got into a rhythm and it honestly felt like it was 6 miles. How annoying.....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-04-04 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Azalea Festival Triathlon

2006-04-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #387678

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Azalea Festival Triathlon

Despite some of your frustrations - Great race!

It was a gorgeous day just to be out there. You probably blew by me at some point.

2006-04-04 4:24 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
I don't think you should be so disappointed or frustrated.  You had a great race.  Compare it to your original goal, not the ones that came up along the way.  Also, for me, running would be the easiest thing to focus on because it's easier for me to fit in a quick run at almost any time of day/weather when time is tight.  So you are great on the two things that are harder to train and your running will come around.  Also, your transitions were smooth and fast!  Big deal if you could have run a minute faster, you could have more easily lost a minute or three in transition!  Great job.
2006-04-05 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Way to go Jen! I think you had a great race. Sounds like the course wasn't laid out so well with the speedbumps and turns. Great job!
2006-04-05 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Nowhere to go but up! Have you signed up for your next race?
2006-04-07 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Hey Jen, sounds like you had a great race. Everything that didn't go great is just learning curves, you will know for next time exactly what you need to do to improve! The fact that you were even worried about passing people tells me that you were doing pretty darn good out there! Good Job!!

2006-04-13 7:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Azalea Festival Triathlon Rss Feed