General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy bars-- what's your favorite? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-05-27 5:52 PM

San Francisco
Subject: Energy bars-- what's your favorite?
I've been reading the posts on Accelerade, and along the same lines, am wondering which energy bars are everyones favorites. I like Cliff bars, b/c they aren't so sweet and some of them have a little caffeine in them.

Anyone else? Is there a super bar I'm missing out on?

2004-05-27 6:34 PM
in reply to: #27747

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Subject: RE: Energy bars-- what's your favorite?
Favorite energy bar:
Clif Bar--chunky peanut butter (hands down, my favorite)
Though I must say that I've tried very few varieties...

Favorite protein recovery bar:
Protein Plus Vanilla (by PowerBar)

(o:

Dana
2004-05-27 6:52 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
Lemon poppy seed is *really* good.

local kroger had a $.99 each sale on all clif bars and we nearly bought them out.

I like the fact that you can tell what's in em... they don't look like they were made with some alien form of play dough.
2004-05-27 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
I like Power Bar - but just came across the Tri-o-Plex high protein food bar. It runs about 335 calories or so - 8 g fat and 2 g sat fat. (I have to watch for high cholesterol) - But thgis thing is really good (fav. is chocolate coconut)  It's got 32 g protein - 200% daily vVit. C and is low sugar (9g)  It is one of the very few "meal replacement" bars tht actually works as a replacement for me.)
2004-05-27 8:09 PM

User image

New user

Chicago, IL
I live and die for Clif Bars. They are a bit too pricey, but a few months ago I did some googling and found this site. I stocked up on my favs, Carrot Cake, Chocalate Chip and Peanut Butter. No fooling, I bought enough to make a nice display in my closet that any GNC would have been proud of. Since then, Clif Bar has come out with some new packaging and flavors. I'm ready for a new shipment; hopefully the deal is still possible (came out to less than a buck each bar).
2004-05-27 9:12 PM

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
I have to admit I have never gotten past the power bar. It was the first I tried and I just keep getting them. I like them, but it may be time to branch out.

2004-05-27 9:48 PM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
cliff bars are the bomb diggity. they are tasty, and you can identify what you're eating (i.e. oats, raisins, etc.) powerbars remind me of silly putty. the ony good thing about a powerbar is that you can take off the wrapper, lick it, and smack it to the frame of your bike. it won't come off until you need it. unless it rains.

I'd also highly recomend luna bars (the woman spesific cliff bar). I know they're for women, but they're really good. The lemon zest blows my mind.

dispite the wonderful cliff bars out there, I've started making my own bars. I'm a college student, and money is spent on books, not bars. Plus energy bars cost like over $1. Bluk oats cost $0.35 per pound. After a lot of experimenting I now make really good bars. I'd reccomend it. I posted a recipie for them a while back, but I've never made exactly the same bars twice - it's a lot of fun to experiment. here's the link for my bar recipie: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2004-05-27 11:21 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT
I like Clif Bars -- the carrot cake, but only occasionally. For my long runs (over 45 minutes), I use GU, vanilla and/or chocolate. It tastes like the cake batter you would eat when you were a kid. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evelyn
2004-05-28 12:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bars? Blech! I have a nephew who swears by detour bars, but if I want to consume 350 calories, I just order a cheeseburger! ;-) Actually, I'm trying to like gels, but since this season is my first adventure in 1 1/2 hr or longer events, I'm not realy used to using bars/gels/power beverages, etc.
2004-05-28 12:41 AM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Balance Bar - Choc PBJ!!
2004-05-28 4:47 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Had my first taste of Power Bar taste a lot like peanut butter. I don,t really like or dislike energy bars but do we really have to take them during a race.Can we just go without power bar for 2 or 3 hrs during the race. I would prefer substituting Uncle Toby muesli bars?? or dry fruits instead of energy bars.Can we go through or is it advisable to go through a half marathon or olympic distance triathlon without taking energy bars.....

2004-05-28 8:49 AM

Milwaukee, WI
Cliff Bar-The Chocolate Mint. It has green tea which has caffeine in it. It's the only one that I know that has caffeneine. Does anyone know of any other flavor with the green tea?
2004-05-28 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland, Florida
Here is a vote for Balance Bars. Chocolate Crunch...yummm
2004-05-28 12:23 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
I dig Luna Bars. They are less cals, so it's reasonable to eat if you're not going to be out there for hours. I love the Lemon, Lime and Orange ones. Yummy!
2004-05-28 12:46 PM

User image

Walla Walla, WA
it is very important to eat during a race. You should try to get some form of food in any race over an hour. That doesn't always mean eating energy bars; goos (or gels, or even just honey shots) are the best way to get about half an hour's worth of maximum energy, and sports drinks can replace electrolytes. As we've learned in the forum about accelerade, getting protein with your carbs is very important too, so even if you're not drinking accelerade, eat some protein in the form of a food bar to get that protein benefit. Since eating while running is almost impossible, you should eat on during the bike, so that you're fully fueled for the run. You can do a sprint with just water, but I usually take a goo or a sports drink along. Olympic distance it's defiantly important to eat. A bar (or part of a bar), a goo and a sports drink are usually enough. Half iron man without food? you've got to be kidding. I don't think anyone could race one of those without eating something along the way. Those who try to do it foodless generally end up in the medical tent taking salt tablets and seeing spots.

2004-05-28 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Findlay OH
I'm a plain old Powerbar fan. Cliffbars taste ok but I actually like the silly putty texture. THe bits of cliffbar were harder for me to get down while working out. I also have a bit of a sensitive stomach while exercising and Powergel, powerbar and Gatorade all work well for me.

Cookies and cream or lemon are my favorites. Gatorade makes a decent bar too kind of reminds me of a rice krispie treat. Chocolate peanut butter is pretty tasty.

2004-05-28 3:03 PM

Veteran
MO
I've been eating Odwalla bars recently. The chocolate kind is DELICIOUS -- I feel like I'm eating junk food, but it's good for me! They're sweetened with grape juice and rice syrup, and they have dried fruit and chocolate chips in them, and I really look forward to eating one every time I bike. They've been good during-workout food for me. You can order them online from odwalla.com, or I buy them at Whole Foods -- I think most health food stores or organic-type grocery stores probably stock them.
2004-05-28 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Mark me down for Clif bars. Something that I could never say about Powerbars or Balance Bars is that I actually like them! I always eat one on the way to swimming in the mornings, often one before a bike or run in the afternoons. I have just begun to venture into runs longer than 75 minutes and rides longer than 2 hours, so I am going to try to start mixing in Clif Shots. I wonder what those'll taste like?
2004-05-28 4:24 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Clif Bar Chocolate Peanut Crunch!  I get them at Costco - 24 bars  for $18!  I love them, but can't stand them when I'm working out.  Definitely use gels for then!
2004-05-28 5:06 PM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
Detour bars rock!! Powerbar gels - strawberry/banana.
2004-05-28 6:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Great Pacific Northwest

I have to say I like Pria bars, but I tend to watch my calories. I haven't done any long events, but I've done long runs with gel and I like that. I know I won't choke on it. Luna bars are kind of tasteless to me, although the caramel apple was good and if I had to choose, the Lemon Zest isn't bad either.

For fueling up before a run I have to go light so I might do a Pria bar or half a Baker's Breakfast Cookie. Actually I have breakfast cookies often after runs. Filling, healthy, and made locally.

2004-05-29 4:25 PM
in reply to: #27897

NH
Did somebody say Rice Krispy Treat?? Sign me up for a case of those.
I'm having a hard time getting into the sport bar/gu mode as my stomach has been very delicate, especially when I eat while exercising (or anytime within 1 1/2 hours before).
Although while I'm hiking, I like the PowerBar Harvest Bars...they're a little less playdoughey, and more like a candy bar (I'd like a case of snickers too :-) )
2004-05-29 5:34 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I have a soy allergy--does anyone else have this problem? So far the only bars I seem to be able to eat are powerbars. So far haven't met a flavor I didn't like. This might sound gross, but they taste even better after sitting in a hot car. They get softer. It's tasty.
2004-05-29 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
I vote for the choc/caramel EAS bars. They satisfy my satisfy my sugar cravings without creating more sugar cravings!

Another question about eating during a race: Should I eat during the race if it's just a sprint distance? So far with all my workouts, I don't eat at all, and it seems to work best. Food always makes my stomach sick during workouts. So if I'm going to need to eat during the race I better start trying it out in workouts.

Edited by Redhead 2004-05-29 7:46 PM
2004-05-29 8:37 PM

Champion
I seem to have a hard time with bars, but I've been a gel fan for a while (Gu). I had a bar today that came in my race packet. I forgot the brand name, but it sort of looked like a cow pattie. Kind of dry tasting too, but I washed it down with plenty of water, just before the race start. If I eat any solid food during a race or training, it tends to be Nutter Butter peanut butter cookies. I can digest them no matter how hard the effort.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Energy bars-- what's your favorite? Rss Feed  

of 2