General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-04-06 10:26 AM

Subject: Disappointed
Well I have been only training for a little over month and a half . I have noticed my fitness getting better and better. I have taken it slow getting started as I am getting off the couch after 11 years. I have been doing some run/ jwalking mainlyand a little biking. I was doing well at it until my last two times running. My knee on Sat. started to have a dull ache after a mile so I slowed down and walk another mile and the ache stopped. I decided to take 3-4 days off and late night ran outside (first 50+ degree night) and got to about a 1/2 mile on a slow pace and then had to start walking because of my knee ache. I got home after a the mile and looked at my knee and It had swollen up on the inside where the ache was on sat and last night. I iced it and the swelling went down, but the ache is dull this morning and not swollen. I have decided to not run my 5 k race next weekend because of it. So that is what I am more disappointed about. On the brighter side I will not run for a couple of weeks and get to the pool and on the bike more and I have lost 14 pounds.

2006-04-06 10:30 AM
in reply to: #389832

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: Disappointed
Well congratulations on the weightloss and fitness improvement! that is a bummer, but hang in there! we all go through those aches and pains for a while. I dont know where you are running, but when you go back to running, I found that it helps to stay off road on trails and whatnot when coming off a injury. Good luck, and use this time to improve in the other areas, and that will allow you to keep your fitness up!
2006-04-06 10:36 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

This is exactly what I love about tri training.  Can't run cuz the knee is sore - swim and bike (if possible).  Can't make time to drive to the pool?  Go for a quick run.  and so on.  There's always something you can do that will help continue you toward your fitness goals and the variety ensures it doesn't get boring.  It's a bummer about your 5k - but could you run/walk it anyway?  The last 5k I did (ok the only one I've done, I was trying to sound like an old pro!) only about 40% of the people ran it anyway.  Everyone else walked it. 

So use this month to turn yourself into a fish.  See Uttriman's winter logs if you need swimming motivation.  That guy grew gills.

2006-04-06 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Hang in there- it takes a while for the body to get used to all the new exercises.
Couple of suggestions maybe- Check your shoes. Are they the proper fit and size? I second the suggestion of running primarily on asphault and dirt trails as well. Also, add glucosimine and chondroiten to your diet. Both help keep the joints lubricated
Most of all, hang in there and don't get frustratd. Like others suggested hit the pool and bike more and let the knee rest up. Walk your workouts if running makes the knee sore/ swollen.
Good Luck!!
2006-04-06 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
When I started running 6 months ago after 10 years of not, I also had sore and swolen knees from running (I could feel fluid under the knee cap when pressing on it). As already mentionned above, try and stay off hard roads for a while.
What I did was keep running every few days, but always stop as soon as the pain started. even very mild pain. In the beginning I could run 5 to 10 minutes, no more. Now I can run 1h30.
I also go to the gym for strength exercices twice a week. I think that helped too.
And keep up the ice after the runs.

Good luck and hold on !
2006-04-06 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
I second the strength thought stated above.  Similar story couch potato etc....My right knee had some issues whne I first got back into running... It seemed to go away the best when I did some strength training to strengthen the muscles around it.  Esp leg extensions... My$.02

2006-04-06 10:33 PM
in reply to: #389849

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
hangloose - 2006-04-06 9:36 AM

So use this month to turn yourself into a fish.  See Uttriman's winter logs if you need swimming motivation.  That guy grew gills.

I don't know about gill's, but I certainly got waterlogged (still am getting waterlogged for that matter!)

That said, get that knee some rest.  Don't push it so hard you do damage that will take forever to heal.  I tried that when training for a marathon once.  Ended up being sidelined from running for 16 plus weeks, because I couldn't run more than a mile without pain in the ankle (my sore spot).  I hadn't entered the world of triathlon yet.  Wish I had been because then I wouldn't have had to get all that endurance back.

Cross train, do non-impact workouts, and if necessary -- SEE THE SPORTS MEDICINE professional!  Don't play around with injury.  The risk is TOO high, even for the casual athlete!

2006-04-06 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
Great job on the wieght!! I think we all have injuries from time to time. Injuries are very common when going from out of shape to a triathlete or just getting in shape. The important thing is to work around your injury and don't lose motivation
2006-04-06 11:56 PM
in reply to: #390435

Elite
Laurium, MI

i was talking to my PT today about this very issue.  He was saying that in reality you need a solid year of base training where you very gradually increase your mileage to allow your ligaments and connective tissue time to adapt to the new demands.  He said all injuries, besides those caused by major pronation problems, are caused by pushing your intensity and mileage faster then your connective tissue can adapt.  Unfortunately, none of us take a full year to ease into training and we usually push the envelope right off the bat, so we fight with injuries like this.

so ice ice ice and let yourself heal before pushing further. 

2006-04-07 6:37 AM

Weight training! You must strengthen the muscles connecting the the leg bones or the knee joint ends up being beat to death. I am no PT but I do know it solved my knee problem. Also, being a weight loser also, my body looks a whole lot better with some muscle on it rather than looking like a marathoner (gaunt). I devote 3 hours per week to weight training, it is just part of the game.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disappointed Rss Feed