General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-28 10:17 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Subject: Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level
Okay, it's time for some 200 level nutrition help. I've got basic nutrition down, but need help with what to do right before, during and after my workouts. I've just started using watered down Gatorade, but think I could use something a bit more advanced. I've read the threads about Accelerade, GU, Cliff Bars etc., but I need some help putting all of the info together.

Basically, what can I do to improve my runs of .5 - 1.5 hrs -- before, during and after? Is there an easy way to carry stuff when running (I've got some spare room to stash stuff in my bra ;-) )? I really could have used something during my run yesterday, especially dealing with the heat and humidity. AND, it's only gonna get worse. I REALLY want to beat 55 min for the Peachtree 10k and need every bit of help.

How about for biking 1 hour +? How much liquid should I be consuming? Can/should I eat GU/cliff bars?

Also, I'm trying not to gain weight (a little more fat loss would be nice) so let me know if using these supplements will require calorie cutting elsewhere.

Thanks!

2004-05-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #27866

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level

Well, I'm no sports nutritionist, but I'll tell you what I do.  Before workouts, I eat like usual, but I typically wait an hour because I get stomach cramps if I don't.  During workouts, I have something every 45-60 minutes because you are depleting your carb stores.  If you don't replenish, you bonk.  I use Clif Shot Razz Sorbet - followed by water.  For long runs/bikes I carry the Clif shots (they are small), and a bottle of water and a bottle of sports drink.  The sports drink is meant to replace electrolytes (sodium is very important).  If it's a really long run, I put drinks out on the course for myself instead of carrying. 

I just can't do solid food during a workout, but lots of people carry bananas on the bike.  Biggest thing is to practice with various foods/gels/etc to find out what works for you before you race.

I was told to drink about 6 oz of water every 15 minutes, so I try to follow that, but I'm not too good at it.  I get cramps/side stitches after drinking a lot. 

After workouts, I have a shake with carbs and a little protein. (again to replace the carbs - you have about 30 minutes to get carbs in your system again for optimal recovery)

As far as weight, don't skimp on nutrition during your long workouts - you might pay for it!

That is my story - good question!  I'm anxious to hear other replies.

2004-05-28 10:35 AM
in reply to: #27866

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level
I like cytomax better than gatorade, haven't tried accelerade, but I may buy that when I run out of cytomax. Both accelerade and cytomax should make your recovery time a lot shorter.

For running, I have a fannypack thing with a triangular pouch and a waterbottle holder that holds the waterbottle at an angle so it's easy to grab and put back. If I crank it down tight enough it doesn't bounce. I think it was about $25.

I find that I need about 2x20 oz bottles per hour of liquid - at a minimum, I try to make sure I have a big sip at least every 10minutes so my stomach doesn't object. However, I haven't done any rides longer than about 3.5 hours - that may not be enough for longer rides.

http://www.personalbestnutrition.com/cgi-bin/pbn/articles.html?id=Y...

has some really good articles / race reports

-Keith
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition before, during, and after workouts -- 200 level Rss Feed