General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cramps/stitches Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-28 6:54 PM

Subject: cramps/stitches
Okay I've tried not eating two hours before I train and am drinking plenty of fluids and I'm still getting cramps during runs. These are especially bad during the run of a brick workout. Any other ideas on how to prevent them? What might be their cause?

2004-05-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #27930

Veteran
Ashburn, VA
Subject: RE: cramps/stitches
I was taught to control stitches with breathing. I try to breathh in my nose and out my mouth, this usually works for me.

Edited by phule1970 2004-05-28 9:10 PM
2004-05-29 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Ive read different theories on the cause...it seems its usually attributed to irritation of the diaphragm which moves during breathing, so alternate breathing pattern should help. I read in a running magazine or book that it may help to hold (ie put pressure on that side).
2004-05-29 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
A bannana a day keeps the cramps away. Nutrition is very important. one of the main causes can be low potasium, sodium or water. A bannana, some salt in your diet and at least 8 glasses of water or juice(I do about a gallon a day). There can be many other causes such as stretching and breathing. breath deep into your stomach with controled breth. Good luck.
2004-05-31 11:52 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I read that switching your breathing pattern can help and that's what I started doing. Most of the time, I breathed when my right foot hit the ground. I switched it around to where I breathe when my left foot hits the ground. That seems to have helped a lot. Other than that, I run through it the best I can.
2004-05-31 2:26 PM

User image

New user

I've just got back from a run wherein I was continually getting stitches. It's something that's dogged my running almost every time I've been out, and make me neglect that part of my training in favour of other exercise. I knew that I should be breathing through my nose etc, but still the stitches occured. However, after about the 3rd time, my running partner suggested that maybe I was straining too hard - my torso rotated too much - and I should try and quieten my footfalls. Amazingly, this seemed to work. Will keep this in mind next time I'm out, but in the meantime, has anyone else heard of this?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cramps/stitches Rss Feed