General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bronchitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-29 12:38 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
Subject: bronchitis
I just got over bronchitis, and I can't seem to get my fitness level back to where it was before I got sick. After three miles on the bike I feel like I'm breathing through broken glass. I pushed my self and rode seven, but I was getting lapped by other riders. I thought a run might help--nope, got a mile into it, and same thing. Tried a swim, 4 laps, and I thought I was going to die.

Does anyone have any experience with getting over bronchitis? Will I be able to race in two weeks?

thanks!!

2004-05-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: #28002

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: bronchitis

I think you will be fine for your race, but give yourself a rest.  Bronchitis is basically inflammation and so your lung "tubes" are swollen and therefore more narrow.  If you let yourself heal fully, you will do better!  Get plenty of sleep too. 

How long ago did you get sick?  How long did it last?

2004-05-29 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
Dallas, TX
I wasn't feeling well for about a month, but I figured it was getting up at 4 am every morning to row then training after work. I finally went to the doctor about a week ago, and turns out I had bronchitis.
2004-05-30 12:44 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Yikes!  4 weeks!  That is tough.  Maybe you need some vitamin c too!
2004-05-31 12:09 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
I've had lots of experience with bronchitis, having had allergies, asthma and been a smoker. As the other poster mentioned, your bronchial tubes are inflamed and constricting your air flow. When I get bronchitis I usually get bronchial spasms too, which are when I just keep coughing and coughing, sometimes to the point of nearly passing out. The last time I got it, it started as a cold and just got worse. When that happened, I literally could not walk down the block without having a coughing fit. Are you having any coughing fits or just shortness of breath?

If you're just having shortness of breath, your doctor could prescribe a bronchial dilator (inhaler) that will help you breathe better. S/he could also give you a shot of steroids to help you feel better quickly, but that really just disguises the illness. The only time I ever got the shot was when I had to fly to visit my father withing the next few days.

If you're also having the coughing fits, there are some very good cough suppresant medications they can give you, but it should only be used at night so you can sleep, especially if your cough is otherwise productive.

Anyway, bronchitis is usually allergy or virus related and about the best you can do is rest and let your body heal itself. You should definitely not push yourself to the point where your lungs hurt, no matter how little distance that may be.

If you rest yourself, you may be able to do the race in 2 weeks. Hopefully, all the training you've done up to this point has more than prepared you. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bronchitis Rss Feed