General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim with a purpose. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-30 4:49 AM

Subject: Swim with a purpose.
This might seem like common sense to most, by my wife says the problem with common sense is that it's not too common.
I got back in the pool the beginning of March to begin tri-training. This is probably the first time I've been in the water in 25 years where I wasn't hanging on to a tow rope or didn't have a regulator in my mouth. My goal was to put some miles in and that's what I did...I got in the pool and swam without thinking about much. I clocked my first 1500 m time on March 21st at 35:30. I continued in this manner until the beginning of May where I clocked in at 33.00. Not much of an improivement. Through reading many articles on swimming and many posts on this site I decided I needed to focus my swim workouts and decided I would not get in the water without a purpose. Now everytime I get in the water I make sure I have something to focus on, and mental cues at the ready...arm recovery, feeling the wind on my cheeks, nose to toes, elbow high, etc.
Today I clocked a 1500m in 27.40. A much bigger improvemnt in less time and I feel like I accomplish something in every workout instead of just putting in the miles.

2004-05-30 11:53 AM
in reply to: #28078

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: RE: Swim with a purpose.
Great job and good advice! I just did my first 500 meters on Thursday. (I've not gotten into timing myself yet....it is about distance for me in the beginning) It may not sound like much to experienced pros, but I feel I can only go up from here! And since it was my goal, I feel like I accomplished something.
2004-05-30 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, that's a pretty impressive drop in time!  Great job and thanks for the thoughts!
2004-05-31 12:01 PM

New user

Central Texas
Great advice...I am a first time Triathaloner and swimming is my weakness. I taught myself to swim and really not sure if I am swimming efficiently. I feel like I have made great progress in the pool, and I am able to swim consistently for my half mile distance. But I am terrified of the open water swim. I know I need some practical experience in the lake, but when I went to the lake by myself I was afraid of getting too far out and needing help. So I froze up and didn't go out past where I could touch bottom. Any suggestions?
2004-05-31 1:07 PM
in reply to: #28191

Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Going4Slim,

I would never go out onto a lake alone - even the best swimmers can cramp up. Find a friend to go with you. If you can't find a friend then stick to the pool for your training. You might even meet someone at the pool that you can pursuade to go lake swimming with you!

Good luck, Tina
2004-05-31 3:45 PM
in reply to: #28191

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
good advice, never swim alone. When I go out far I always take someone in a kayak with me.

2004-05-31 3:46 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
every time I see the title of this thread I think it says "swim with a porpoise" LOL Sounds like fun!
2004-06-01 10:17 PM
in reply to: #28233

New user

Central Texas
Oh Yeah....I meant that I went to the lake alone. (Well kids were with me but they can't save me) There were plenty of other people around. I would never swim ALL alone. Swimming with a porpoise would really freak me out! LOL It is one more hurdle to overcome. You cannot grow beyond your limitations if you don't push beyond your fears, so I will do this. Just wondered if anyone else has had to overcome this fear too...

Robin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim with a purpose. Rss Feed